Email notifications.

This forum contains information about how to use some of the features of this message board. If you have questions about how to do something, post them here. Comments and suggestions are also welcome.

Email notifications.

Postby AlexMcpherson on Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:48 am

I just got this notification just a few minutes ago, for the post inwhich you said:
"Yes, you're right. If there was going to be a romance between Daniel and Sam in this fic, I'd have been writing a Ship version of it. However, that does not mean that a sequel would not be ship. "
In the Autumn '73 CH 36 topic. Thats a bit of a huge delay...

Just thought you should be aware of that.
AlexMcpherson

Re: Email notifications.

Postby AlexMcpherson on Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:29 pm

Added thing - they aint coming in in the order they were posted.
AlexMcpherson

Postby MaureenT on Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:53 pm

So far, I have not had the problem you're talking about. There are a number of things that could cause something like that. Your email service could have been having an issue, which was causing some emails not to go through right away. I've run across this problem myself in the past. I've had one email to a certain email address come in immediately, whereas an email coming into another address was delayed, both of them having been sent at right around the same time. In fact, when I'm running email tests on one of my sites, I send the emails to addresses that generally have no problem with delays. I have one address in particular that's really bad when it comes to delays. I often have trouble with it.

I remember a time when it took six days to get an email. I couldn't believe it when I looked at the date on the email and realized that it took that long.

Another possibility is that this site's host was having some problems with their email server, although, if that was the case, I should have been having the same trouble as you, but all my emails from here appear to be coming in properly.

So, basically, what I'm saying is that it isn't a problem with this message board, so there's nothing that I can do about it.
Dr. Markov: If you're implying that everything Russian-made is poor quality, actually the sub is Swiss.
Daniel: So they occasionally catch fire, but they keep perfect time? Sorry. I think I've been hanging around Jack O'Neill too much.

-- From the Stargate SG-1 episode "Watergate."
MaureenT
Site Admin

Postby AlexMcpherson on Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:23 am

The time stamp always shows what time Hotmail recieved the email, even if that isn't the time that it actually got into my inbox, so i'd hazard a guess that it's either the mail thing for the board, or one of the servers between it and Hotmails'. (I do get a medium-amount of slightly-delayed emails, when they've tracked through certain ones. Others, they're near-instantaneous.
Not counting emails between Hotmail addresses, ofcourse.)

Just thought you should know, and it does irritate me, as i check my inbox and the forum often, it's had me REALLY confused when i've seen a new post, but no email about them.
AlexMcpherson

Postby Spyridon on Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:23 am

I used yahoo and I usually get it a minute at the most after it's sent.
Spyridon

Postby MaureenT on Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:43 pm

AlexMcpherson wrote:The time stamp always shows what time Hotmail recieved the email, even if that isn't the time that it actually got into my inbox, so i'd hazard a guess that it's either the mail thing for the board, or one of the servers between it and Hotmails'. (I do get a medium-amount of slightly-delayed emails, when they've tracked through certain ones. Others, they're near-instantaneous.
Not counting emails between Hotmail addresses, ofcourse.)

Just thought you should know, and it does irritate me, as i check my inbox and the forum often, it's had me REALLY confused when i've seen a new post, but no email about them.

If it was a problem on this end, everyone would be having the same issue, but I've had no trouble at all, and Spyridon says that she isn't either. So this leads me to believe that the trouble has to be somewhere along the route that emails are sent to you. Hopefully, whatever that problem is, it will be resolved soon. I'd love to help, but there really isn't anything I can do since it's not an issue with the board software itself. Even if it was this host's mail server that was causing the problem, I'd be unable to do anything.

I can make a suggestion, though. Get a Gmail account. I have been extremely happy with mine since I got it. They have some very nice Webmail features, though I seldom use them since I have my email sent to my computer. If you didn't want two different accounts, you could have your Hotmail forwarded to the Gmail account. You could do it on a temporary basis, if you're not interested in doing it permanently, just to see if there's still a delay in getting notifications from the board.
Dr. Markov: If you're implying that everything Russian-made is poor quality, actually the sub is Swiss.
Daniel: So they occasionally catch fire, but they keep perfect time? Sorry. I think I've been hanging around Jack O'Neill too much.

MaureenT
Site Admin

Postby Spyridon on Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:43 pm

Well, we can test it out. I have an hotmail account so I can switch the current one with the hotmail and see if the emails are getting to me slower. I'll switch now.
Spyridon

Postby AlexMcpherson on Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:53 am

Cheers guys.

I pay for my Hotmail account - the 10gb, larger attachments stuff. I do need it too.

wouldn't it be more of a gmail account, forward to hotmail?
going a to c through b, and b is slow, so a to c but through m then on to c... :P
AlexMcpherson

Postby Spyridon on Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:37 pm

just email me something. See if it works.
Spyridon

Postby MaureenT on Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:13 pm

AlexMcpherson wrote:Cheers guys.

I pay for my Hotmail account - the 10gb, larger attachments stuff. I do need it too.

wouldn't it be more of a gmail account, forward to hotmail?
going a to c through b, and b is slow, so a to c but through m then on to c... :P

If the problem is with Hotmail, then, no, that wouldn't solve anything since there would still be a delay. The purpose of getting a Gmail account and using it to receive notices from here is to see if that will solve the problem. Hotmail needs to be cut completely out of the loop. Then, if you find that you're getting the notices properly, you can try forwarding from Gmail to Hotmail and see what happens. if the problem returns, that will prove that the issue is with Hotmail.

MaureenT
Site Admin

Return to Message Board Help & Instructions