Windows of Opportunity

This is the place to go for discussions about Stargate SG-1's characters, episodes and more.

Windows of Opportunity

Postby AlexMcpherson on Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:32 pm

Okay, that language Jack had to learn so he could tell Daniel and hence get him to learn how to alter the device blablabla, was Ancient.

Maureen, any chance of going with that Jack is as smart as Daniel and Sam say he is, when speaking about his 'dumb' act.. and this is through Jack knowing Ancient - well what Daniel taught him anyway. Jack's act slips and says something like "I thought _x_ meant _y_, not _z_?"
replace those 3 with whatever ancient word and two english ones...
AlexMcpherson

Re: Windows of Opportunity

Postby MaureenT on Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:33 pm

Jack does not know Ancient. In Window of Opportunity, Jack and Teal'c did learn what the text on the ruins said, but that's all. That would be a tiny fraction of the Ancient language, and you can bet that Jack eventually forgot most of what he was taught. So, I really can't see him doing what you said.
Dr. Markov: If you're implying that everything Russian-made is poor quality, actually the sub is Swiss.
Daniel: So they occasionally catch fire, but they keep perfect time? Sorry. I think I've been hanging around Jack O'Neill too much.

-- From the Stargate SG-1 episode "Watergate."
MaureenT
Site Admin

Postby AlexMcpherson on Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:30 am

But it has been said - even in your fics - that O'Neill is smarter than what he makes people think.
Who knows, with all that empty space in his head, and at the time he may have thought, "This might come in handy. To shock Daniel I mean" so he *might* be able to remember enough to get the odd word, although yes, it would be like only knowing the needle, and not the haystack.
AlexMcpherson

Postby Spyridon on Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:17 am

Well I got that Oneill can be smarter than what people originally thought in some areas but like Maureen, I don't see him knowing Ancient.
Spyridon

Postby AlexMcpherson on Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:51 pm

was just an idea, and sometimes, the littlelest of things could be believed, when bigger things contradict it.
AlexMcpherson

Postby MaureenT on Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:23 pm

Jack is definitely smarter than he acted in the later seasons. During the first two or three seasons, RDA didn't portray him as being quite so dumb. In fact, there were times when we saw his intelligence come through, like when he accurately guessed that the Keeper in Gamekeeper already knew that the planet's atmosphere was no longer toxic and when he shocked Daniel in Singularity by revealing that he knew what an accretion disk was. Unfortunately, RDA went overboard in later seasons, sometimes making Jack appear downright idiotic. Idiots don't make it to the rank of colonel.

However, though Jack is certainly smarter than he often appears, that doesn't mean that he has more than an average level of intelligence, and I doubt that he has any skills to speak of when it comes to learning languages, though he apparently knows at least some Spanish. So, though, out if necessity, he learned some Ancient, once the crisis was over, I can't see him bothering to keep it in his mind. Besides, I got the impression that it was Teal'c who did most of the learning and memorizing. Jack was busy goofing off during most of the time loops. He probably absorbed only a fraction of what he was being taught.
Dr. Markov: If you're implying that everything Russian-made is poor quality, actually the sub is Swiss.
Daniel: So they occasionally catch fire, but they keep perfect time? Sorry. I think I've been hanging around Jack O'Neill too much.

-- From the Stargate SG-1 episode "Watergate."
MaureenT
Site Admin

Postby Spyridon on Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:32 pm

I remember my teachers say just because you memorize it doesn't mean you understand the concept fully or have a true understanding of what is being taught to you.

I wonder what else Jack did during those time loops. I would be sending emails to all of the senators, including Kinsey. Massive spamming!
Spyridon

Postby AlexMcpherson on Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:47 am

haha! good one.

But yeah i see your points, but that also brings up the point with Teal'c - he's smart, but he's never showns signs of knowing ancient after this.

Which begs the question - how the hell did maybourne steal that knowledge out of Jack and/or teal'cs minds? cuz maybourne somehow knew ancient! and I dont believe that "he's just smart enough to learn the language." stuff - he's maybourne.
he's the occassional pain in SG-1's ar5e.
AlexMcpherson

Postby Spyridon on Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:41 pm

well as the cliche goes, never judge a book by it's cover. He did achieve the rank of colonel. He maybe pulling a dumb a** act but maybe that's how he pulls victims in.
Spyridon

Return to Stargate SG-1