Rob Cooper Leaving the SGU writing team

This is the place to go for discussions about Stargate SG-1's characters, episodes and more.

Rob Cooper Leaving the SGU writing team

Postby AlexMcpherson on Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:09 am

forget the exact details, but he's, jumping the shark, so to speak with SGU

But this makes me vagule remember when we all talked about who didn't like the S/D ship that was showing early signs, and so made the J/S ship the major one.
AlexMcpherson

Re: Rob Cooper Leaving the SGU writing team

Postby srcrib on Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:37 am

Good news. However, that still leaves Mallozzi, who seems to cater to the Penguins needs in his blog, and I also believe Brad Wright and Peter DeLuise.

Cheers,
srcrib

Postby MaureenT on Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:36 pm

AlexMcpherson wrote:But this makes me vagule remember when we all talked about who didn't like the S/D ship that was showing early signs, and so made the J/S ship the major one.

Actually, the story is that, in the beginning, the plan was to have Daniel and Sam get into a relationship, which is why we saw so much Daniel/Sam stuff during the first two seasons. But then, much to the surprise of the producers, Daniel became the most popular character in the series. They had believed that Jack would be the most popular. In the great wisdom of TPTB (typed with heavy sarcasm), they decided that they needed to keep Daniel "available" for girls to fantasize about (apparently after Sha're was killed off), so they nixed the idea of the Daniel/Sam pairing. Somewhere around that time, Out of Mind/Into the Fire was filmed, and Rob Cooper saw chemistry between Jack and Sam that he fell in love with. And thus was the Jack/Sam ship born.
Dr. Markov: If you're implying that everything Russian-made is poor quality, actually the sub is Swiss.
Daniel: So they occasionally catch fire, but they keep perfect time? Sorry. I think I've been hanging around Jack O'Neill too much.

-- From the Stargate SG-1 episode "Watergate."
MaureenT
Site Admin

Postby AlexMcpherson on Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:36 am

Sorry for the late response...

Lately im back into star trek.. and let me just say, Voyager while a bit, ... you know, with the trek plague of waaay to much focus on Seven and Treknobabble, was pretty good with the Tom Paris/B'Elanna Torres relationship (even if personally, I dont think such a pairing could be realistic outside of an 'isolated stuck together' situation)

Lots of fanfic recently, has had a focus on that they divorced after a few years in the alpha quadrant, unfortunately I was 'getting out of' Trek when the show had ended and books were a long way off in the horizon. Now that horizon has passed... and I'm going to beat up that corpse over there some more here... and I have this vague idea that the books set after the show indicate that B'Elanna divorced Tom, (although the fanfiction doesn't agree on what Tom's doing on Earth.)
-

sorry, clicked submit to early.
--

So a relationship between main characters can work, doesn't stop the fans who, care, from caring about a particular ship.

Look at Harry Potter:
there's the "Harmione" shippers. (*shudder* I dislike some of these 'names' assigned to particular pairing ships)
Canonically, it's the... Garry? *sniggers* and Heron? ships.
:D

BSG likewise... right at the end, it was a Bill Adama/Laura Roslin, CapricaSix/Gaius, Lee had no one, Kara disappeared, ,...
Doesnt stop fans from liking the Lee/Kara.
Was a different show, a scifi with focus on drama, okay.

other shows....
Alias: Sydney and Michael, although I cannot accept that any sane woman or man would call their partner by their last name.... no seriously, "Hey Vaughn." greets Sydney, and Michael greeted back, "Hey Vaughn."
In the show, she really did call him by his surname. One that wasn't real, as we discovered in season 5 of the show.
Others...

Eureka: Alison/ThatPompousAss I forgot his name. Okay, backstory was they had been married and he signed divorce papers early in season 1, then they were getting remarried in season 2 then he, well... disappeared as a stream of photons... Jo and Zane.

the classic....

Superman:
Lois and Clark.
I refer to the show that was on for ages, *not* Smallville.

So why couldn't Stargate have a progressively progressing relationship between two people, whom we all know are A) compatible, b) Good friends and c) would work well together as partners in more than just the professional way? and that A) the military has little jurisdiction when the other 'element', so to speak, is a civilian? B) has more potential for drama than a 'girlfriend of the week' thing that didn't start up and C) For the love of god, why did they inflict Pete on us!?
AlexMcpherson

Return to Stargate SG-1