Daniel's musical talents

This is the place to go for discussions about Stargate SG-1's characters, episodes and more.

Daniel's musical talents

Postby MaureenT on Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:18 pm

We know that Daniel owned a piano back before he ascended, and, generally, that isn't something a person would own unless they knew how to play it. Well, I was just looking at some screen captures from New Order, and guess what I noticed sitting in Daniel's office: a violin. Hmm. Can he play that, too, or did it belong to someone else? From what we saw in The Sentinel, Daniel is very likely blessed with both perfect pitch, the ability to name or reproduce a tone without reference to an external standard, and relative pitch, the ability to identify the intervals between given tones, regardless of their relation to concert pitch. If so, he could be an extremely talented musician, perhaps even talented enough that he could have played professionally if he'd wanted to.

Now, there's fodder for a plot bunny.

"No, no, no! Stay away from me, bunny! Just go hoping off elsewhere! I've already got too many fics to write."

*runs away screaming into the night as the determined plot bunny pursues like one of Monty Python's man-eating rabbits*
Dr. Markov: If you're implying that everything Russian-made is poor quality, actually the sub is Swiss.
Daniel: So they occasionally catch fire, but they keep perfect time? Sorry. I think I've been hanging around Jack O'Neill too much.

-- From the Stargate SG-1 episode "Watergate."
MaureenT
Site Admin

Re: Daniel's musical talents

Postby AlexMcpherson on Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:16 am

put it into Turning Point... you know, with a early-chapter reference to there being intruments in his office/wherever, then later chapter, plays them? with a small author note at the end saying, "look at so-so-scene in so-so-episodes, and upon this i base his apparent music gift"...
AlexMcpherson

Postby MaureenT on Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:52 am

Well, I kind of doubt that the violin would be sitting in his office for that long, but I could have Egeria notice it in his house, and he plays it for her.

You know something else this would work well with? Autumn of '73. Daniel's friend Kenny played the violin, and I could have in the story that Daniel develops an interest in learning how to play it because of that.

I still think that, someday, I'll write a separate fic that tells the story behind the piano and violin, perhaps something when he's a child, after the death of his parents. A music teacher at his school recognizes his musical gift and wants him to be trained professionally, something that's definitely not going to happen with a child in foster care. So he takes it upon himself to train Daniel. It would just be a sweet little story about a time in Daniel's young life.

BTW, did you see my message in the Atlantis forum? I'm surprised that nobody posted a reply.
Dr. Markov: If you're implying that everything Russian-made is poor quality, actually the sub is Swiss.
Daniel: So they occasionally catch fire, but they keep perfect time? Sorry. I think I've been hanging around Jack O'Neill too much.

MaureenT
Site Admin

Postby srcrib on Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:09 am

MaureenT wrote:BTW, did you see my message in the Atlantis forum? I'm surprised that nobody posted a reply.

There's a forum dedicated to Atlantis?! I did know that, but I'm not that interested in SGA.

Cheers,
srcrib

Postby MaureenT on Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:28 am

Well, I was going to say that I was talking about the Atlantis forum on this message board, not a separate board for Atlantis, but you've already found it, soooo. . . . :D

MaureenT
Site Admin

Postby Spyridon on Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:18 am

I was thinking about this and I was wondering if Sam would have asked Daniel to teach her. Hmm, imagine those two playing together? Miniconcert on the Daedalus. Huh, I wonder if they had a copy of the classical song they had played stored in the ship's computer system but then again Daniel might have known it on the piano. Or wonder if that piece was free hand. . .
Spyridon

Return to Stargate SG-1