Defying the Odds - Chapter Eight

Post your feedback, questions, requests, etc. for Daniel/Sam Ship fanfics on this Web site. Please follow the forum rules when posting a comment.

Defying the Odds - Chapter Eight

Postby Stormwing on Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:46 am

Okies first off, Welcome Back!!!! :D and you brought Daniel with you woot!

So glad he is back at the SGC, and teasing Jack like that was awesome but not only once but twice.
hmmm how to get Daniel back through the gate.....
Do I exist if you can not see me?
Stormwing

Re: Defying the Odds - Chapter Eight

Postby MaureenT on Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:16 pm

Stormwing wrote:Okies first off, Welcome Back!!!! :D and you brought Daniel with you woot!

Yes, I did. Now, if he'd been with me on my vacation, I would have been a very happy woman. :D

Stormwing wrote:So glad he is back at the SGC, and teasing Jack like that was awesome but not only once but twice.
hmmm how to get Daniel back through the gate.....

Poor Jack had an anxious moment thanks to Daniel's sense of humor.

In a way, it was Daniel's relationship with Sam that got him to return to the program. Will it be the same thing that gets him back on the team or will it take something more? Stay tuned for the answer. ;)
Dr. Markov: If you're implying that everything Russian-made is poor quality, actually the sub is Swiss.
Daniel: So they occasionally catch fire, but they keep perfect time? Sorry. I think I've been hanging around Jack O'Neill too much.

-- From the Stargate SG-1 episode "Watergate."
MaureenT
Site Admin

Postby DizzyDrea on Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:47 pm

Welcome back! I hope your vacation was restful and enjoyable. It was funny timing for you to be on vacation, because another author I follow was also on vacation at the same time. I was stuck without new material for two weeks! So, needless to say, while I'm glad you got the chance to get a vacation in, I'm glad you're back!

I loved this chapter, for all the obvious reasons, not least of which is Daniel deciding to return to the program. In an odd way, I think it's where he belongs. He may be an archeologist, but he's so open to thinking outside the box that it's like this program is the only fit. I could see him getting bored with a "regular" job. There's no way the archeology department of a major university would put up with his wild theories, and ditto a museum. Plus, even though there's plenty we haven't discovered right here on earth, there's even more we don't know about the wider universe. I think he'd have eventually been drawn back to that pursuit of the unknown after a while. And while I do think that he's coming back because it's easier on his relationship with Sam, I don't see him doing it if he really didn't want to.

The thing that grabbed my attention was Sam's insecurities. She saw Daniel talking to a beautiful woman and reacted like any woman would: wondering if he'll find someone new that he likes better. In her case, it's a real worry because while Daniel loves her, he's not in love with her. Even though he's assured her that he's committed to this relationship, she still wonders if he'll find someone he can love heart and soul, and then leave her. I love how you wrote this. It's so real, and unfortunately so true. Not all women are so self-assured that they don't worry about their man leaving them for someone else. And while Sam's a pretty confident woman--she'd have to be in order to cut it in the military as well as the scientific world--she's not bullet proof. She can still have doubts, and I love that you wrote her that way.

I don't think Sam wanting him back on the team will be enough for him to want to rejoin SG-1. Daniel's got to want to do it for himself and not for someone else. The thing I'm looking forward to is them telling Jack and Teal'c about their relationship. And Hammond, too. Should be interesting, to say the least.
To imagine is everything; to know is nothing at all.
~Anais Nin
DizzyDrea

Postby MaureenT on Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:57 pm

DizzyDrea wrote:Welcome back! I hope your vacation was restful and enjoyable. It was funny timing for you to be on vacation, because another author I follow was also on vacation at the same time. I was stuck without new material for two weeks! So, needless to say, while I'm glad you got the chance to get a vacation in, I'm glad you're back!

Yes, it was restful. A lot of the time was spent just sitting around, chatting with family, although I did take a nice two-hour walk on the beach one day, spent a bit of time at Deception Pass, and had a family BBQ.

DizzyDrea wrote:I loved this chapter, for all the obvious reasons, not least of which is Daniel deciding to return to the program. In an odd way, I think it's where he belongs. He may be an archeologist, but he's so open to thinking outside the box that it's like this program is the only fit. I could see him getting bored with a "regular" job. There's no way the archeology department of a major university would put up with his wild theories, and ditto a museum. Plus, even though there's plenty we haven't discovered right here on earth, there's even more we don't know about the wider universe. I think he'd have eventually been drawn back to that pursuit of the unknown after a while. And while I do think that he's coming back because it's easier on his relationship with Sam, I don't see him doing it if he really didn't want to.

I'm afraid that, if Daniel did get a regular job in the archeological community, he'd have to put a lid on his more unconventional theories. I think that one of the hardest things for him would be the fact that he knows the truth about a lot of ancient civilizations, yet he can't tell anyone and would have to pretend that a great deal of the stuff that the archeological community thinks they know is correct.

Going from exploring the galaxy to working in a museum or university would be kind of a demotion, although Daniel certainly wouldn't miss all the fighting and life-threatening danger. At this point in the series, exploration was still a big part of what they did. It wasn't until the fourth season that fighting the Goa'uld and other baddies started taking over the lion's share of their time.

And, yes, if Daniel hadn't had any desire to return to the SGC, his relationship with Sam wouldn't have been enough to get him to come back.

DizzyDrea wrote:The thing that grabbed my attention was Sam's insecurities. She saw Daniel talking to a beautiful woman and reacted like any woman would: wondering if he'll find someone new that he likes better. In her case, it's a real worry because while Daniel loves her, he's not in love with her. Even though he's assured her that he's committed to this relationship, she still wonders if he'll find someone he can love heart and soul, and then leave her. I love how you wrote this. It's so real, and unfortunately so true. Not all women are so self-assured that they don't worry about their man leaving them for someone else. And while Sam's a pretty confident woman--she'd have to be in order to cut it in the military as well as the scientific world--she's not bullet proof. She can still have doubts, and I love that you wrote her that way.

This is the thing about Sam and Daniel's relationship. If Daniel was totally in love with her, Sam would be confident that he wouldn't find another woman he liked better. She'd know that she had no reason to worry. But because Daniel isn't in love with her, she's naturally going to have the fear that, someday, some woman will come along and capture Daniel's heart. No matter how much Daniel tells her that he is committed to their relationship, that fear is still going to be deep down inside her heart. So, what's going to happen when Ke'ra comes along? That might get pretty interesting.

Though, as an Air Force officer and scientist, Sam is a confident woman, she has shown more than once that the same is not true when it comes to romantic relationships. If she had that same confidence in matters of the heart, she would have talked to Jack about the thing between them. Sam has always shown a great deal more insecurity and vulnerability when it comes to emotional matters.

DizzyDrea wrote:I don't think Sam wanting him back on the team will be enough for him to want to rejoin SG-1. Daniel's got to want to do it for himself and not for someone else. The thing I'm looking forward to is them telling Jack and Teal'c about their relationship. And Hammond, too. Should be interesting, to say the least.

No, it would take a lot more than Sam just asking him to come back to the team. The question is, what is it going to take?

As for what's going to happen when everyone finds out, let me just say that, when I said that this story was very different in some ways to my usual Daniel/Sam fic, I was talking about more than just how and why Daniel and Sam become a couple.
Dr. Markov: If you're implying that everything Russian-made is poor quality, actually the sub is Swiss.
Daniel: So they occasionally catch fire, but they keep perfect time? Sorry. I think I've been hanging around Jack O'Neill too much.

-- From the Stargate SG-1 episode "Watergate."
MaureenT
Site Admin

Return to Daniel/Sam Ship Fan Fiction Feedback & Comments