Turning Point Ch 1

Post your feedback, questions, requests, etc. for Gen fanfics on this Web site. Please follow the forum rules when posting a comment.

Re: Turning Point Ch 1

Postby MaureenT on Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:26 pm

Xanidel wrote:I believe the term for this is a tag? [Or a series of them in this case] I see plenty of these on FF.net

Actually, a tag is something that happens after the events of an episode and is related to that episode in some way. In other words, a story that is "tagged" onto the end of an episode. A "missing scene", on the other hand, is a story that takes place within the events of an episode. I don't think there's a term for a story like this one, one that is not directly connected to a specific episode but could be something that happened between episodes.

Xanidel wrote:Also: Hai! I'm new here, just love your stories, both Gen and Ship.
On the memorability of Egeria, I personally recognized her instantly, and in Daniel's place three things would have immediately followed: *Gasp*, Queen Egeria?!, Tok'Ra! [Lucky for Daniel, he's not me, as that sentence would probably get him in some major trouble.]

Welcome to my message board, Xanidel. I'm happy to hear that you enjoy my fics.

Trust me when I say that there is definitely going to be a gasp involved, but any thoughts about the Tok'ra will be remaining in his head. :D
Dr. Markov: If you're implying that everything Russian-made is poor quality, actually the sub is Swiss.
Daniel: So they occasionally catch fire, but they keep perfect time? Sorry. I think I've been hanging around Jack O'Neill too much.

-- From the Stargate SG-1 episode "Watergate."
MaureenT
Site Admin

Postby Ryanne 187 on Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:12 pm

As I told someone when this story idea was mentioned, I dont believe in this type of event changing story. To do this would rip at the very fabric of everything. It would erasethe SGC and everyone in it, maybe even Earth itself. I love AU, as evidenced by my love for "What You Already Knew" (Which needs a sequal BTW). But something that changes thousands of history for every universe, planet, people. No, this was a bad idea from the start (it was mentioned months ago in an IM chat). In my less than humble opinion, WYAK needs a sequa, this needs the trash can.

R

P.S. FF.net is a terrible place to judge, too many fangirls, not enough writers. Thats why my story was published on an official site
ImageImageImage
Two Words..SUCK IT!!! - Degeneration X
Ryanne 187

Postby AlexMcpherson on Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:50 pm

As the guy who came up with the idea, i gotta defend it.

The idea isn't to change history.

Its to reveal that one of the events in already-established canon, which is only very very very vague about it, is in fact triggered by a member of SG-1.

Such as, oh, the uprising in Egypt in 8,000 BC. Guess who kicked THAT one off? Oh, yeah - SG-1. Yes they had problems there involving alternate timelines - Ra takes Stargate, but alt-SG-1 then goes in also and 'reverses' it. Or jumps between timelines as well as into the past.

Anyway... here, it's not so much that Daniel is triggering it earlier or anything, but that Daniel has always been the one to trigger that change. It's not event-changing.

It's an Ontological Paradox - Someone makes something happen in the past, because they learn about the event and then go back to cause it.

Your's is the Grandfather Paradox - going back in time to kill your grandfather before he gets your grandmum preggers with your mum or dad. This is the one that rips into the Space-Time Continuum.

Mine is just like, looping that strand back a few inches on itself before resuming its previous course.
AlexMcpherson

Postby MaureenT on Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:36 pm

Though you have a right to your opinions, the primary rule of this message board is to "show respect when posting comments, feedback and replies, and be courteous when giving constructive criticism." Your comment about the trash can was far from being respectful or courteous. I would ask that you take more care in how you word your comments in the future.

In regards to your other remarks, as Alex has pointed out, you've made an incorrect assumptions regarding this fanfic and the one that he is writing. I would recommend that you recall the events of the episode "1969". In that episode, we discover that SG-1's trip back to that year was not their first time doing so. They were, in fact, repeating history, as evidenced by the fact that General Hammond knew they were going back since he had the memory of meeting them when he was a young man. My fanfic is not an event-changing story. It is, in fact, history being repeated. Daniel just doesn't know it yet.

Secondly, though the events surrounding the creation of the Tok'ra are certainly important, they are not even close to being as important as you appear to believe. Even if everything was changed completely and the Tok'ra never came to be, the effect it would have would be relatively small in regards to the universe as a whole. It would not erase the SGC and most certainly would not erase Earth. How could it when the Tok'ra had no part in Earth's history or the creation of the Stargate Program? We know that Egeria went to Earth to try to stop the Goa'uld from sending any more people through the Stargate (which would have been the Antarctic gate at that time), but she obviously failed since the Goa'uld continued to take people at least up into the 13th century AD.

In the episodes 2010 and Moebius and in the movie Continuum, the creators of Stargate had the course of history radically altered. Though the latter two definitely changed history for the worst, they did not "rip at the very fabric of everything." They did not affect every universe, planet and people. 2010's effects were mostly limited to Earth. Moebius affected Earth, as well as any world that would have had its history changed because the SGC never came to be. Continuum had the largest effect of all, encompassing this galaxy, the Ori galaxy, the Pegasus galaxy and very likely the Asgards' galaxy as well since the SGC would never have helped them with the Replicators. Even so, the universe kept right on going. After all, the fate of a few galaxies is of little consequence in a universe of thousands and thousands of them.

I'm not sure why you posted the comment about fanfiction.net. If you don't want to post your own stories there, that's your business. I post there as well as on my site because ff.net reaches a bigger audience. And, for your information, I have received plenty of critical comments there. They are not all gushing compliments. I have also received some very in-depth comments that actually gave me ideas for future developments in a story, including some in my WYAK series.
Dr. Markov: If you're implying that everything Russian-made is poor quality, actually the sub is Swiss.
Daniel: So they occasionally catch fire, but they keep perfect time? Sorry. I think I've been hanging around Jack O'Neill too much.

MaureenT
Site Admin

Postby Spyridon on Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:26 pm

Moon Mistress's (Lady Onya on ff.net) website is not official in a regular sense but it is the main website for her stories just as Soulmates is the 'official' website for Maureen's. ff.net in it's own right caters to a lot more people who are both authors and fans. Personally I think ff.net is great.

Respect is fundamental necessity when engaging in conversations that include dozens of different points. It keeps things in going in a nice pattern. Even though I did not come up with idea of Egeria, I was still some what insulted.

I told you in the msn convo since the TPTB never talked about how Egeria split, that Alex and Maureen simply picked up the ball and kicked to where ever their imagination took them.

As it goes, if you don't like what you read, then just go on to the next story. I'm sure Maureen is still working on WYAK sequel so you're just going to have to be patient.
Spyridon

Postby MaureenT on Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:28 pm

Spyridon wrote:I told you in the msn convo since the TPTB never talked about how Egeria split, that Alex and Maureen simply picked up the ball and kicked to where ever their imagination took them.

Though there are times when TPTB not giving us details on something can be aggravating, in certain situations, it also leaves the field open to come up with fanfics that give a theory on how something could have happened. The story of Egeria is a perfect example of that. We really don't know why she was different, why she made the decisions she did. Given that Daniel has already been proven to have a magic touch when it comes to changing people and making them do the right thing, it is quite feasible that he could have ended up back in time and been the one who steered Egeria in the right direction. Of course, I'm certain that TPTB would never consider such a thing, but since there is no canon explanation, we're free to write stories like this, and people can't really say that it couldn't possibly have been that way.

MaureenT
Site Admin

Postby Ryanne 187 on Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:01 am

Okay, I agree with you on the fact that we dont know much about Egeria, but as all Gou'ald keep thier genetic knowledge stored within them, then all Tok'ra would have been looking for Daniel for thousands of years, rendering his need for the SGC useless, since he would've already been sought out be her descendants. Her split would have to be related to something much bigger than Daniels persuasion (No matter how great it is, god knows Daniel could influence me to do just about anything with one flick of lashes and tight enough jeans).

Yes, I agree with the time travel being as an already occuring event, but this event would make Daniel known in all of Egerias offspring forever. THATS alot of changes.

Like I said, when it comes to ff.net, the place is a zoo. The ideas are ridiclous, the pairings making no sense 75% of the time. I chose Moons site because it was a place for me to showcase my story (Which I wont mention the name of on someone elses site...thats rude). Not to mention I didnt need my OC insulted because people in this fandom are really close minded unless youre pairing out Daniel/Jack (Which mades an odd sort of sense), or the almost inscestuous pairing of Daniel and Sam (Not to mention the one pairing of Daniel and Selmak that made me almost puke even though I didnt read a word of it). But on the whole, looking for something worth reading on the 'Gate section like looking for a needle in a haystack (A haystack of infinate size...*thanks Thor for the line*). And I also know from experience that you throw in wild ideas sexually in the 'Gate section and they either flame me or give me owl eyes. Its actually funny.

The ONLY reason I use it is because theres no other place for my WWE Shawn Michaels fiction. And laugh at me all you want because of my interest in that if you want. Markin out for DX.

I would also never give out any ideas to Maureen. Ive always respected her enoug hto leave her to write as she saw fit, because WYAK was so good because of it. I had ten thousand ideas, but kept them ALL to myself.

Besides, after it was made plain to me after I was told about a dislike for OCs (Which is ALL I work with...I believe in building characters from the ground up, with very little canon change.), I knew any ideas I had would be disregarded. So that was that.

DX 4 Lyfe,

R

Sorry if you feel Ive been too blunt. Its part of who I am. Too many nights of watching RAW and watching Quentin Tarentino movies.
ImageImageImage
Ryanne 187

Postby Spyridon on Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:30 pm

I forgot the name of the epidsodes I'm talking about but it is known that Goa'uld queens can actually withhold information from their offspring. Examples would be in the case of the symbiotes breed for Anubis' supersoldiers and the symbiotes that Egeria knew would be used for experiments. There is a possibility that Daniel could have hinted that the symbiotes should not know his name or where he came from because it could have devestating effects.

Remember, people have different views so they will have different views on pairings. I for one can see the possibility of Daniel/Sam depending on hos it's carried out and the way Maureen does it makes me believe it. 8-)

And the thing about ff.net reminds me, when is the first chapter for your story coming out, Alex?
Spyridon

Postby AlexMcpherson on Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:45 pm

Then why are you here?
And how is the Daniel/Sam pairing, incest-y?
See, there's a fair few couples in the world who were best friends first, and would have said "She's like the sister/brother I never had" or some such, until, BAM their feelings change OR they discover "Hang on, I wouldn't be having those sorts of dreams of my sister/brother!"

It need not be said that that doesn't stop actual brothers and sisters' minds from conjuring those dreams up anyway, but that is not exactly relevant to the current topic, except, if it can happen with actual an actual brother and sister, then it can happen with 2 best friends who may or may not think of the other as a sibling - and in stargate, neither has actually said 'you're like a brother/sister to me', in fact, it went the oposite way in various ways, some subtle that CAN be misconstrued as either, 'yes s/he had those feelings' or 's/he doesn't but s/he did still loose his/her best friend.' excetera.

Not to mention that Daniel asked about him and Sam - were they ever...

Anyway.

Spyridon, er... dunno, I don't write nearly as much as Maureen. Comes in bursts. Hell I've got several stories to do aswell - my sg-1/Harry potter crossover, and my Doctor Who are the main ones at the moment.

As for Egeria/knowledge passing down...

This is a heckuva long time ago for all the modern-day Tok'ra - and why the heck would they want to find him if all they know about him from Egeria was that he 'Died' (She could maybe hide from them that, no - he just went to his own time again if she does find out, or, she truly believes him dead.) and besides - all they would know about him, is that he's a very-very-very-very-very-very clever man, who's beliefs and stuff gradually affected their queen who they may know was 'smitten' with him anyway. And his name is called Daniel. that last part would in my mind of selmac realising, 'Daniel's my daddy!' or somesuch, somewhat necessary. Maybe Daniel says something that tingles his genetic memory. He digs. Finds his face. holy crap.

:P
AlexMcpherson

Postby Ryanne 187 on Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:50 pm

Im here for the GEN section.

Yeah, the change on feelings does happen, but I can see Danny jumping in Jacks bed (In fact, it makes more sense to me for Sam to jump in Jacks bed too). Now THEY act like an old married couple, its cute. I cant tell you how many times Jacks banter with Danny has made me spit out my food in laughter.

In regards to the queens, no, they cannot HIDE things, they can be repressed from overuse, which is what happened to poor Egeria (although I admit that episode isnt as clear to me as others. Season six is aborrant to me. No Daniel, no dice), OR theyre bred that way, as is the case with the queens of the Kull warriors. Anubis didnt want her to think. Or her offpsring to think. He needed clean slates so he could make the symbiotes programmable.

Good luck with your writing Alex.

R
ImageImageImage
Ryanne 187

Postby MaureenT on Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:50 pm

Okay, I'm going to split this into two replies, the first one about Goa'uld queens.

Ryanne 187 wrote:Okay, I agree with you on the fact that we dont know much about Egeria, but as all Gou'ald keep thier genetic knowledge stored within them, then all Tok'ra would have been looking for Daniel for thousands of years, rendering his need for the SGC useless, since he would've already been sought out be her descendants. Her split would have to be related to something much bigger than Daniels persuasion (No matter how great it is, god knows Daniel could influence me to do just about anything with one flick of lashes and tight enough jeans).

Yes, I agree with the time travel being as an already occuring event, but this event would make Daniel known in all of Egerias offspring forever. THATS alot of changes.

Ryanne 187 wrote:In regards to the queens, no, they cannot HIDE things, they can be repressed from overuse, which is what happened to poor Egeria (although I admit that episode isnt as clear to me as others. Season six is aborrant to me. No Daniel, no dice), OR theyre bred that way, as is the case with the queens of the Kull warriors. Anubis didnt want her to think. Or her offpsring to think. He needed clean slates so he could make the symbiotes programmable.

Sorry, but the Tok'ra don't have the genetic memory of the Goa'uld. If they did, they wouldn't be Tok'ra since, as it was clearly established in the series, it is because of their genetic memories that Goa'uld are evil. Those genetic memories even turned Daniel evil in Absolute Power, and it was because of the evil inherent in those memories that Oma blocked them from Shifu.

The Tok'ra came to be when Egeria chose not to pass on to her children the genetic memories she carried, somewhat like what that queen who was in league with Anubis was doing with the symbiotes that were being placed within the Kull Warriors, except that those symbiotes were completely blank slates, lacking even personalities of their own. In fact, Anubis got the idea of doing that from what he learned about Egeria when he scanned Jonas' memories. Egeria didn't go as far when creating the Tok'ra. Though the genetic memories were not passed on, they apparently did have minds of their own and their own natural intelligence and instincts. I would guess that in the five or six years that the larvae were maturing, they were also being taught by Egeria, learning from her what she wanted them to know and believe. We know that the larva in a Jaffa is aware of what is going on around it. That was made evident by the fact that, in Crossroads, when Teal'c attempted to mentally contact his larva, he discovered its extreme hatred for him. It would have no reason to hate him unless it knew that Teal'c was a "Shol'va".

As for there needing to be something bigger than Daniel's persuasion to turn Egeria, I'm guessing that you haven't bothered to read any of this story. If you had, you would know that, in it, Egeria is already quite different from other Goa'uld. She is far kinder and lacks the Goa'ulds' unquenchable lust for power. The transformation to being a Tok'ra, therefore, is not really all that huge. Also take into consideration the fact that, in Crossroads, we learned that the Tok'ra actually managed to convert some Goa'uld to their way of thinking. They couldn't have done that any other way than simply by reasoning with them.

This whole story idea started with a conversation about the Gou'ald inside Kianna Cyr, the woman who was working with Jonas on the Naquadria problem in Fallout. That Goa'uld was clearly different from all the others that we know about. Though she admitted that she did want an empire of her own, her lust for power was definitely not as strong as her fellow Goa'uld. In the end, Kianna sacrificed her life to save the planet and, instead of letting her host die with her, made the effort not to release the poison Goa'uld release when they die. So, why did she do that? It was made pretty clear that it was because she fell in love with Jonas and came to admire her host. Even so, there had to be a difference in Kianna before then to enable her to even be capable of loving Jonas and developing that much respect for her host.

Given what we know about Egeria, Kianna, and what the Tok'ra said about recruiting other Goa'uld, it's obvious that, for some reason, every once in a while, a Goa'uld comes along who is not a totally evil, ruthless, power-hungry creature. Therefore, it wouldn't be impossible that Egeria's decision to go Tok'ra came from someone making her see things the way they should be -- especially if she happened to fall in love with that someone.

MaureenT
Site Admin

Postby Ryanne 187 on Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:06 pm

Well, Ill give you this...if anyone could change her mind, it would be Danny. *Snicker*

But wouldnt, even in the teaching, she passes on Daniels knowledge and his persuasion would become a part of her knowledge and personality as well, and if he provided the code of life, he would be IN the offspring. I dont know how much, since the extent of that wasnt revealed in "Hathor", just that he provided the 'code of life'. That still makes me shudder.

And Kianna Cyr wanted to save the Naquadriah for herself, mostly to take over Ba'al. It was only her hosts budding romance with Jonas that moved the symbiote inside her, much as Jolinar did for Sam. But Jolinar was Tok'ra...Kianna was not. So it seems that in the end, they make their descisions, its just most follow the family business.

BTW, Im not cutting you down per se, just playing devils advocate. So dont see me as some sort of bitch, Im not.

R
ImageImageImage
Ryanne 187

Postby MaureenT on Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:35 pm

Ryanne 187 wrote:Well, Ill give you this...if anyone could change her mind, it would be Danny. *Snicker*

But wouldnt, even in the teaching, she passes on Daniels knowledge and his persuasion would become a part of her knowledge and personality as well, and if he provided the code of life, he would be IN the offspring. I dont know how much, since the extent of that wasnt revealed in "Hathor", just that he provided the 'code of life'. That still makes me shudder.

And Kianna Cyr wanted to save the Naquadriah for herself, mostly to take over Ba'al. It was only her hosts budding romance with Jonas that moved the symbiote inside her, much as Jolinar did for Sam. But Jolinar was Tok'ra...Kianna was not. So it seems that in the end, they make their descisions, its just most follow the family business.

I was in the midst of writing the rest of my reply, but I'll stop to answer this first.

When I say that Egeria taught them, I mean in the same way that human parents and teachers teach children, by talking to them, verbally sharing her thoughts, knowledge and viewpoints. In that way, she could pass on some of what she knew about the Goa'uld and the universe as a whole without passing on the evil within the genetic knowledge. The fact that Goa'uld mature within five to six years likely means that their mental development would be equally as accelerated, meaning that, in those years, she could give them enough knowledge that, when they were implanted in humans, they'd already have a good start. Then, after they were in hosts, she could continue to teach and train them.

As far as we know from what was revealed in the series, no part of the DNA donor's personality or knowledge is passed on to the Goa'uld. Their DNA serves only one purpose: to enable the queen to make her children compatible with the host species. That's it.

Yes, Kianna wanted the Naquadria. She admitted to that. But that does not explain all of the actions she took, like going down into the shaft when she knew that it was very likely going to kill her. She didn't have to do that. It was completely voluntary, as was her decision not to let her host die with her.

Kianna was already a Goa'uld when Jonas met her. He never knew the host. There was no budding romance with the host. Everything that passed between them was between Jonas and the symbiote. Jonas just didn't know that there was a symbiote and thought that the person he'd been working with and getting to know all that time was the real Kianna.

MaureenT
Site Admin

Postby MaureenT on Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:08 pm

Now, here are my comments on the rest of Ryanne's post.

Ryanne 187 wrote: Like I said, when it comes to ff.net, the place is a zoo. The ideas are ridiclous, the pairings making no sense 75% of the time. I chose Moons site because it was a place for me to showcase my story (Which I wont mention the name of on someone elses site...thats rude). Not to mention I didnt need my OC insulted because people in this fandom are really close minded unless youre pairing out Daniel/Jack (Which mades an odd sort of sense), or the almost inscestuous pairing of Daniel and Sam (Not to mention the one pairing of Daniel and Selmak that made me almost puke even though I didnt read a word of it). But on the whole, looking for something worth reading on the 'Gate section like looking for a needle in a haystack (A haystack of infinate size...*thanks Thor for the line*). And I also know from experience that you throw in wild ideas sexually in the 'Gate section and they either flame me or give me owl eyes. Its actually funny.

Okay, part of this has me totally confused. But, before I get to that, let me say this. You know that I'm a Daniel/Sam shipper, so coming onto my message board and calling it an almost incestuous pairing is a direct slap in my face. I don't appreciate it, and I will ask you never to say that here again.

I've heard that said before, and I think it's quite ludicrous. Daniel and Sam are not related in any way, so it cannot be incestuous. Though a lot of fans look upon their relationship as more like that of siblings, that is matter of personal viewpoint. It has nothing to do with the facts. It really cracks me up that when a man and woman actually get along well together, have a mostly harmonious, non-confrontational relationship, and are not polar opposites of each other in their personalities, people think that somehow equates to a sibling-like relationship. Well, I happen to have a brother, and our relationship is nothing like the one that Daniel and Sam have. Most other siblings would say the same thing. It is a rare thing for male/female siblings to have the kind of relationship Daniel and Sam have.

As a mature, logical, level-headed woman, my idea of a perfect a boyfriend or husband is someone with whom I am compatible, someone I get along well with, someone I can actually stand to live with and not be arguing with all the time. That's why I ship Daniel and Sam, because they have the compatibility, mutual respect, friendship, and communication that would build a strong foundation for a romantic relationship that could last a lifetime.

It will probably surprise you to learn that, in the beginning, TPTB actually planned on pairing Daniel and Sam. That's why there was so much interaction between the two of them during the first two seasons, and we saw scenes like that one in Holiday when Sam begged Daniel not to die on her. But then, due to certain developments, TPTB changed their minds, and Rob Cooper decided that he liked Jack/Sam instead when Out of Mind and Into the Fire were filmed. If you really think about it, you'll notice that it was in Season 3 that the interaction between Daniel and Sam started being dramatically reduced. The Daniel/Sam pairing idea had been thrown out, so they didn't want to develop the relationship anymore. If they hadn't changed their minds, Daniel/Sam would have been a canon pairing once Sha're was gotten out of the way.

That having been said, I am totally confused by your comment about pairings accepted by the fandom. Daniel/Sam is NOT a generally accepted pairing. A large majority of shippers are against that pairing. The number of people who like it or who will at least tolerate it is very small. The two main Het pairings, the ones the majority of fans go for, are Jack/Sam and Daniel/Vala. Before Vala came into the picture, another well-accepted pairing was Daniel/Janet. On the slash side, it's Jack/Daniel. Every other pairing, whether its between two characters in the series or a series character and an OC, are going to be bashed, just like you're bashing Daniel/Sam. Heck, many D/V shippers even bash Daniel/Sha're, and it's canon! This is something that every author who chooses to ship a pairing other than the most popular ones needs to accept and learn to live with.

Ryanne 187 wrote:I would also never give out any ideas to Maureen. Ive always respected her enoug hto leave her to write as she saw fit, because WYAK was so good because of it. I had ten thousand ideas, but kept them ALL to myself.

Besides, after it was made plain to me after I was told about a dislike for OCs (Which is ALL I work with...I believe in building characters from the ground up, with very little canon change.), I knew any ideas I had would be disregarded. So that was that.

I find it quite odd that, first, you insult me by saying that I write for an incestuous pairing, and then turn around and say that you respect me enough to leave me to write what I see fit. That makes no sense to me.

I always welcome ideas for fanfics. When I get on the phone with a friend of mine, we often toss fic ideas back and forth. If someone presents me with an idea for a story that they'd like to see me write, I consider it to be a compliment, that they would present this story idea that came from their imagination and want me to be the one to write it. That doesn't mean that I will write it, just that I consider it a compliment that I'm the one they came to.

As for OCs, I'm not sure if you're referring to something I said or not. I don't dislike OCs. I've had lots of fun with some of the ones I've written, like, for example, Quentin Greer in Autumn of '73. What I don't like is when an OC takes over the story, becoming equally as important or even more important than the series characters. I also will not read Daniel/OC or Sam/OC stories. But then, I won't read any story that has Daniel or Sam paired with someone else, unless it's a temporary situation that ends with Daniel/Sam. I have no problem with an OC being paired with someone else, however. Jack/OC, Teal'c/OC, Cameron/OC, Vala/OC or any other are all fine with me, but, again, only if the OC doesn't take over a major chunk of the story. If I want to read a story about an OC, I'll go read original fiction. Fan fiction is supposed to be primarily about the characters that were in the series, movie, book, etc.

Ryanne 187 wrote:Sorry if you feel Ive been too blunt. Its part of who I am. Too many nights of watching RAW and watching Quentin Tarentino movies.

There is a difference between being blunt and being insulting and derogatory, and I'm sorry to say that you've crossed that line more than once. Therefore, I must ask that you be less "blunt" in expressing your opinions and take into consideration the feelings of other people on this board.

MaureenT
Site Admin

Postby AlexMcpherson on Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:07 pm

I'm Alive!

And re-reading this, I found a big boo-boo on the site.

The archeologist frowned down at the dome. Applying logic, he'd guess that pressing the two buttons that, together, stood for 'doorway' and the one that meant 'access' would open the door, but could he really be sure of anything? Should he just wait and hope that his teammates would find him? This room was not veryugh his mind that it would have been nice to know what Goa'uld had lived in the place where he was about to die.

When Daniel didn't die, he breathed a sigh of relief, letting out another one when the door opened. He wasted no time exiting the room. He came to a dead stop when it dawned on him that the hole in the roof was gone, and the place was now in a whole lot better shape than it was before he entered that room. And then he heard something, voices coming from outside, some of which he could have sworn were children.

Cautiously, Daniel approached the doorway leading to the outside. When he got there, his mouth fell open. What had been an uninhabited valley was now populated with people dressed in clothing dating back to the Roman era. There were also houses, livestock and even a couple of dogs within sight. Rising in the distance was the great city through which he'd walked less than an hour ago, a city that was now whole and undamaged.

Thinking that he must be hallucinating or dreaming this, Daniel exited the ruins. Two children playing a few yards away saw him and ran away. A woman gathering wild grain began staring at him.

"Um . . . hello," he said. Receiving no reaction except a look of incomprehension, Daniel decided to try Goa'uld. His greeting was not returned, but he could tell that the woman had understood.
big, so if it was airtight, it wouldn't be all that long before he'd run out of breathable air. If he waited too long in the hopes that his team would find him, he might not have enough time to figure out how to get out using the pedestal if his guess proved to be incorrect.

Daniel decided that his best course of action would be to try what he thought might work. He recalled the sentence structure of the Furling text on Heliopolis and decided that pressing the symbol for 'access' first, then the two for 'doorway' would be his best bet.

Taking a deep breath, Daniel pushed the first button. When nothing happened, he laid his fingers on the two that combined to mean 'doorway' and pushed them at the same time.

What happened next was not at all what he was expecting. The top of the dome abruptly slid open, revealing a large blue orb, which began to rise from the pedestal.

Thinking that the choice he'd made had most definitely been the wrong one, Daniel began backing up only to come up against something hard, unyielding . . . and invisible. He was trapped inside some kind of force field.

An ominous hum turned his gaze back to the orb. It had begun to glow, growing progressively brighter as the hum grew louder. It soon grew too bright to look at without squinting.

In the instant before the light flashed outward, engulfing Daniel, the thought went thro** She cautiously moved away from him, heading for the road, which now appeared to be in perfect condition.

This section. read it carefully, you'll notice that.. well, a chunk got moved. The underlined bit got pulled up a few paragraphs... (I've inserted the ** where it should be) Or just copy this: (remove the bbcode obviously.)

Correct:
The archeologist frowned down at the dome. Applying logic, he'd guess that pressing the two buttons that, together, stood for 'doorway' and the one that meant 'access' would open the door, but could he really be sure of anything? Should he just wait and hope that his teammates would find him? This room was not very big, so if it was airtight, it wouldn't be all that long before he'd run out of breathable air. If he waited too long in the hopes that his team would find him, he might not have enough time to figure out how to get out using the pedestal if his guess proved to be incorrect.

Daniel decided that his best course of action would be to try what he thought might work. He recalled the sentence structure of the Furling text on Heliopolis and decided that pressing the symbol for 'access' first, then the two for 'doorway' would be his best bet.

Taking a deep breath, Daniel pushed the first button. When nothing happened, he laid his fingers on the two that combined to mean 'doorway' and pushed them at the same time.

What happened next was not at all what he was expecting. The top of the dome abruptly slid open, revealing a large blue orb, which began to rise from the pedestal.

Thinking that the choice he'd made had most definitely been the wrong one, Daniel began backing up only to come up against something hard, unyielding . . . and invisible. He was trapped inside some kind of force field.

An ominous hum turned his gaze back to the orb. It had begun to glow, growing progressively brighter as the hum grew louder. It soon grew too bright to look at without squinting.

In the instant before the light flashed outward, engulfing Daniel, the thought went thro
ugh his mind that it would have been nice to know what Goa'uld had lived in the place where he was about to die.

When Daniel didn't die, he breathed a sigh of relief, letting out another one when the door opened. He wasted no time exiting the room. He came to a dead stop when it dawned on him that the hole in the roof was gone, and the place was now in a whole lot better shape than it was before he entered that room. And then he heard something, voices coming from outside, some of which he could have sworn were children.

Cautiously, Daniel approached the doorway leading to the outside. When he got there, his mouth fell open. What had been an uninhabited valley was now populated with people dressed in clothing dating back to the Roman era. There were also houses, livestock and even a couple of dogs within sight. Rising in the distance was the great city through which he'd walked less than an hour ago, a city that was now whole and undamaged.

Thinking that he must be hallucinating or dreaming this, Daniel exited the ruins. Two children playing a few yards away saw him and ran away. A woman gathering wild grain began staring at him.

"Um . . . hello," he said. Receiving no reaction except a look of incomprehension, Daniel decided to try Goa'uld. His greeting was not returned, but he could tell that the woman had understood. She cautiously moved away from him, heading for the road, which now appeared to be in perfect condition.
AlexMcpherson

PreviousNext

Return to Gen Fan Fiction Feedback & Comments