Broken Trust - Chapter 2 of 5

Post your feedback, questions, requests, etc. for Gen fanfics on this Web site. Please follow the forum rules when posting a comment.

Broken Trust - Chapter 2 of 5

Postby Thietje on Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:36 am

I don't see how Daniel is going to function in the SGC if he doesn't feel (with good reason) like he can trust anyone there anymore.

The only thing that can probably keep him there at this point in the story is trying to find his wife.

At least, that's how I see things in this story going.

I really liked it.
Thietje
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:56 pm
Location: Yakima, WA

Re: Broken Trust - Chapter 2 of 5

Postby srcrib on Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:28 pm

I doubt that he ever trusted anyone on Earth besides his teammates and maybe some of the base personnel like General Hammond and Janet. After all, if he was a problem the commanders or politicians could simply lock him away. He's forced to be there because it's the best chance that he has to find Sha're.

Now that he doesn't feel like he can trust his team, Janet and Hammond to help him I guess that he's realizing that he doesn't have any power over his situation on Earth.

There's just one thing in the story that I'm having trouble believing and that's Daniel not trusting Teal'c. I would understand if Daniel felt like Teal'c didn't have the power to help him in any future situations, but I feel that after everything that has happen between them that he would at least see his Jaffa friend as somebody that he could trust to talk to and that he could expect to have his back off-world at least.

I'm curious to see how the story develops since it doesn't seem that Daniel would be better on another team and he needs to stay to at least have a fair chance of finding Sha're. When it comes to alternatives he can't very well leave Earth and join the Tok'ra or the Jaffa rebels since they wouldn't have any more chances or interest in finding Sha're than the SGC does. Maybe a viable could be Daniel going to work for the Russians or another American organization where he could use his knowledge on the Stargate program and expertise has leverage.

Hmm, I'm really curious to see what the next chapter brings.

Cheers,
User avatar
srcrib
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:08 am
Location: Portugal

Re: Broken Trust - Chapter 2 of 5

Postby MaureenT on Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:39 pm

Thietje wrote:I don't see how Daniel is going to function in the SGC if he doesn't feel (with good reason) like he can trust anyone there anymore.

The only thing that can probably keep him there at this point in the story is trying to find his wife.

At least, that's how I see things in this story going.

I really liked it.

As Daniel said in his journal, he'd quit the program if it wasn't for Sha're. At this point, she is the only thing keeping him there. Quitting SG-1, on the other hand, is definitely something he's considering. Daniel needs to have a heart-to-heart talk with his teammates and with Janet. Until that happens, there can never be any healing.
Dr. Markov: If you're implying that everything Russian-made is poor quality, actually the sub is Swiss.
Daniel: So they occasionally catch fire, but they keep perfect time? Sorry. I think I've been hanging around Jack O'Neill too much.

-- From the Stargate SG-1 episode "Watergate."
User avatar
MaureenT
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1015
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:52 pm
Location: Oregon, USA

Re: Broken Trust - Chapter 2 of 5

Postby MaureenT on Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:21 pm

srcrib wrote:I doubt that he ever trusted anyone on Earth besides his teammates and maybe some of the base personnel like General Hammond and Janet. After all, if he was a problem the commanders or politicians could simply lock him away. He's forced to be there because it's the best chance that he has to find Sha're.

Now that he doesn't feel like he can trust his team, Janet and Hammond to help him I guess that he's realizing that he doesn't have any power over his situation on Earth.

Daniel doesn't really feel that he has no power over his situation on Earth. He knows that he could leave at any time and go back to Abydos. He doesn't feel trapped. It's only his determination to find Sha're that's making him stay at this point. That is a conscious choice.

srcrib wrote:There's just one thing in the story that I'm having trouble believing and that's Daniel not trusting Teal'c. I would understand if Daniel felt like Teal'c didn't have the power to help him in any future situations, but I feel that after everything that has happen between them that he would at least see his Jaffa friend as somebody that he could trust to talk to and that he could expect to have his back off-world at least.

Daniel still trusts that Teal'c and the rest of his teammates would have his back off-world. He knows that if he needed help, if he was in danger, they'd be right there at his side. He would still trust them with his life. What he has lost is his faith that they will back him up in other ways, that they will believe him if he experiences something strange. He doesn't trust them enough to believe that something like this will never happen again, that no matter how strange something he says may be, they will at least be willing to accept that he might be right.

srcrib wrote:I'm curious to see how the story develops since it doesn't seem that Daniel would be better on another team and he needs to stay to at least have a fair chance of finding Sha're. When it comes to alternatives he can't very well leave Earth and join the Tok'ra or the Jaffa rebels since they wouldn't have any more chances or interest in finding Sha're than the SGC does. Maybe a viable could be Daniel going to work for the Russians or another American organization where he could use his knowledge on the Stargate program and expertise has leverage.

This story is not an AU, so there are not going to be any changes from what the evidence says happened in the "universe" of the series. And don't forget that this is early Season 3. There really is no Jaffa rebellion yet, the SGC have not forged the Earth/Tok'ra alliance, and the Russians are not involved in the program. They don't even know about the program. So there really wouldn't be any other place Daniel could go and still have some connection to the program or the search for Sha're.

Also, this is only a 5-chapter story, so there aren't going to be any major events that would take several chapters to resolve. The chapters to come are going to focus mainly on the healing that needs to be done and Daniel finding the capacity to trust his teammates and Janet and give them another chance.
Dr. Markov: If you're implying that everything Russian-made is poor quality, actually the sub is Swiss.
Daniel: So they occasionally catch fire, but they keep perfect time? Sorry. I think I've been hanging around Jack O'Neill too much.

-- From the Stargate SG-1 episode "Watergate."
User avatar
MaureenT
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1015
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:52 pm
Location: Oregon, USA

Re: Broken Trust - Chapter 2 of 5

Postby AlexMcpherson on Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:54 pm

read it today.... good story, but lately, all fic seems to... blend between the scenes, ruining my perception of pacing... something to do with reading it too quick, or something.

Good part is because I got a job, and so read quicker to get what was normally 4-5 hours of reading into a half-hour span ... :P
the bad part is I forget, and tend to skim large paragraphs without realising.
User avatar
AlexMcpherson
 
Posts: 440
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:52 am
Location: Merseyside, UK


Return to Gen Fan Fiction Feedback & Comments

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron