Long Time no Post...

Post your feedback, questions, requests, etc. for Gen fanfics on this Web site. Please follow the forum rules when posting a comment.

Re: Long Time no Post...

Postby MaureenT on Thu May 13, 2010 12:49 pm

AlexMcpherson wrote:I think it's the activity thing that helps, We were really active here and you were postin. then we dropped off the face of the earth (read: went on vacation to Risa, no wait, wrong show...) and your muse went with.

only we didn't get to see your muse, either.

Yes, it's nice to see activity here again. I said once before that there are things we can chat about here that have nothing to do with my fanfics, but, sadly, whenever I'm not posting any fic chapters, this place goes dead silent. :(
Dr. Markov: If you're implying that everything Russian-made is poor quality, actually the sub is Swiss.
Daniel: So they occasionally catch fire, but they keep perfect time? Sorry. I think I've been hanging around Jack O'Neill too much.

-- From the Stargate SG-1 episode "Watergate."
MaureenT
Site Admin

Postby AlexMcpherson on Thu May 13, 2010 1:16 pm

speaking of other things... What about SG:U?
AlexMcpherson

Postby Spyridon on Thu May 13, 2010 1:42 pm

Don't even watch it. I didn't even had interest to watch the epi with Daniel. It's just wasn't SG to me. Do you think the fanfic on the site will slow down? PR fics are rare on their section and the HP fics are still going strong. I don't know about the other categories.

Thanks Maureen for the advice. I've started separating the 'cast' and the other bits. I'll try to keep in mind about writing continuously until the muse dies out. I always tend to stop and check a fact or something. Even going to the point of actually stopping there as I go off topic. Usually reading old fanfics.
Spyridon

Postby MaureenT on Thu May 13, 2010 2:44 pm

Spyridon wrote:Don't even watch it. I didn't even had interest to watch the epi with Daniel. It's just wasn't SG to me. Do you think the fanfic on the site will slow down? PR fics are rare on their section and the HP fics are still going strong. I don't know about the other categories.

I'm with you on SG:U. I didn't even bother watching the pilot, though, one of these days, I'm going to watch the series of videos with Daniel, which are all available on the MGM site. I hear that they're great. One of the things I loved about Stargate SG-1 was that it didn't take itself too seriously. It was enjoyable to watch. When I heard that SG:U was going to be darker and more intense, basically going down the same road as Battlestar Galactica, I said no thanks. I don't want dark. That's contrary to the style and feel of the Stargate I knew and loved. It was the darker turn that the show took in S9 that reduced my enjoyment of the series. So, let the fans of shows like Battlestar Galactica watch SG:U. I'll stick to the Stargate that was fun to watch.

Spyridon wrote:Thanks Maureen for the advice. I've started separating the 'cast' and the other bits. I'll try to keep in mind about writing continuously until the muse dies out. I always tend to stop and check a fact or something. Even going to the point of actually stopping there as I go off topic. Usually reading old fanfics.

Whenever I get to something in my story that requires some research or fact-checking, I just barrel right through, writing what I think is correct or leaving a blank line to be filled in later. Then, on the last check of the chapter before I post it, I take the time to look up what I need to. When I'm writing, I don't want to break off to look up things. I want to keep the flow going. Of course, there's also the fact that my muse has no patience to stop and check on things like that when she's demanding that I write. :D
Dr. Markov: If you're implying that everything Russian-made is poor quality, actually the sub is Swiss.
Daniel: So they occasionally catch fire, but they keep perfect time? Sorry. I think I've been hanging around Jack O'Neill too much.

MaureenT
Site Admin

Postby Ryanne 187 on Thu May 13, 2010 3:34 pm

Its like I always say....no Daniel, no deal....lmao!

R
ImageImageImage
Two Words..SUCK IT!!! - Degeneration X
Ryanne 187

Postby Spyridon on Thu May 13, 2010 3:45 pm

I wonder if they were going to do the third sequel film to the series. I think the last I heard of it, it was being pushed back because of budget cuts. And what is the plot about? I know it focuses on Jack but what exactly?

I hope the Daniel/Jack interaction is like what it used to be.
Spyridon

Postby DizzyDrea on Thu May 13, 2010 3:47 pm

Well, signs of life at last! I was thinking of jumping on the site and checking to see if you all were still alive, but somebody beat me to it.

Just to put my two cents in on the whole SG:U thing, I watched the first half of Season 1. I found it to be a bit confusing, to be perfectly honest. There's no clear-cut baddie to root against, like there was in SG-1 and SGA. Instead, there's a lot of humans with suspect motives, so that you don't know who to root for and who to root against.

And the drama! Oh, the drama! It feels a lot like junior high! Everyone's plotting against everyone else, and if there's not plotting, they're up to other things (if you catch my drift). There's a lot of "if you're not with us, you're against us" going on. It's the military against the civilians, and quite often it's the military saying just shut up and follow us 'cuz we have guns. Ugh. None of the military people I know have ever been like that. So give us a break, already. Give us some bad guys we can hate and let's get on with getting on.

I think the comparisons to Battlestar Galactica as far as tone is concerned are valid. That was a dark show--there wasn't a lot of hope and there was a sense that this would have been a lot easier if the right people had been in this situation in the first place. But I think that's about where it ends. I enjoyed BSG for what it was. But at leasst BSG had both aspects of drama—the internal conflict that's natural in a situation like this, but also a bad guy you could identify (most of the time) and root against.

And I'd have to agree that I miss the humor. It's one of the things I've always loved about sci-fi in general and the Stargate franchise in particular. They knew how not to take themselves so seriously. The writers quite often wrote in-jokes into their scripts, and the actors pitched in from time to time with their own contributions. So, while you're laughing your head off, you're also learning something. That's nowhere to be found in SG:U, and I miss it.

I get that Brad Wright was bored with Stargate so he decided to reinvent it, and I get that the ratings are huge, but it still leaves me cold. Give me characters I can relate to (and believe me these folks are nobody I'd want to hang around with) and a plot that's not a vapid waste of time and I'm in. I suppose that with the potential demise of MGM, maybe the best we can hope for is for the franchise to come to a merciful end and for someone in the mold of Joss Whedon or JJ Abrams to come along ten or so years from now and return the franchise to what made it great.

It's all left me unsure of whether or not I'll even watch the rest of the season. I'm just not sure I care enough to put in the time, frankly, and that's the most depressing thing about it.
To imagine is everything; to know is nothing at all.
~Anais Nin
DizzyDrea

Postby AlexMcpherson on Thu May 13, 2010 5:05 pm

Ugh no... not joss whedon.

He completely ruined the Buffy stuff from season 6 through to the Comics.

For instance... buffy and Angel *bleep* themselves out of the earth dimension.

Seriously.
AlexMcpherson

Postby MaureenT on Thu May 13, 2010 5:26 pm

Spyridon wrote:I wonder if they were going to do the third sequel film to the series. I think the last I heard of it, it was being pushed back because of budget cuts. And what is the plot about? I know it focuses on Jack but what exactly?

I hope the Daniel/Jack interaction is like what it used to be.

Based upon what MS said, it's unlikely that there will ever be a third SG-1 (or a second SGA) movie. TPTB are pretty much focusing all of their attention on SG:U. Plus, it's been so long since the second movie came out that the opinion is that the time for a third one has passed, although I don't agree with that mentality.

MaureenT
Site Admin

Postby MaureenT on Thu May 13, 2010 5:43 pm

I have some personal news. Normally, I'd post this in Other Topics, but since it's connected to my writing and what was being discussed in this thread, I'll post it here.

Financially, things have not been going well. I wasn't making enough in my business to pay my bills. The main reason why I moved up here to Salem was the hope that things would get better. Though I have been getting more business, it still isn't enough. Therefore, I had no choice but to search for another job. I managed to get one and will be starting work on Monday. So, between this full-time job and the work I'll still be doing in my business, the amount of time I'll have for writing is going to be dramatically reduced. I'm going to miss all the writing time I had before (and I'm sure my readers will miss the frequent updates when my muse was cooperating), but, unfortunately, paying bills has to take precedence. I'm hoping that the time will come when my business has recovered enough that I can go back to doing just it, but there's no telling how long that will be.

MaureenT
Site Admin

Postby Spyridon on Thu May 13, 2010 6:46 pm

Well personally i don't care if there's a year between updates. As long as there is life, there is hope for another one, no? No worries, I'll be chilling waiting for whenever is the next chappie/story. 8-)

Oh man, it's going to be like 2-3 years since I've been reading your stories? I joined the fanfic world on May 30, 2006 and 3 months later, joined the ff.net site.
Spyridon

Postby AlexMcpherson on Thu May 13, 2010 6:53 pm

Just write when you can, that's all we can ask.

good luck, Maureen. Hopefully I'll be starting a job on the 24th too... you know, my birthday?

So between You and me getting a job, and you giving me another chapter of A73, I'll have to choose the jobs thing. :-[
AlexMcpherson

Postby DizzyDrea on Thu May 13, 2010 7:41 pm

AlexMcpherson wrote:Ugh no... not joss whedon.

He completely ruined the Buffy stuff from season 6 through to the Comics.

For instance... buffy and Angel *bleep* themselves out of the earth dimension.

Seriously.

Having only seen Seasons 1-3, I can't say whether or not he ruined the show. But, the fact that his latest creation died quick and quiet, you might have something. What I was thinking was someone who could come at Stargate from a totally new perspective, and reinvigorate the franchise. As long as that person respects what came before, like JJ Abrams did with Star Trek, then he/she should be successful and I'd be willing to give it a chance.

And I second Alex's and Spyridon's sentiment, Maureen. Something is better than nothing.

Speaking as someone who has been jobless for going on three months, I can certainly understand the attraction in being able to pay one's bills and support oneself. I only hope that you have as wonderful a support system as I have--I couldn't be doing this without my family and friends. I'm in your cheering section!
To imagine is everything; to know is nothing at all.
~Anais Nin
DizzyDrea

Postby AlexMcpherson on Thu May 13, 2010 8:06 pm

DizzyDrea wrote:Having only seen Seasons 1-3, I can't say whether or not he ruined the show. But, the fact that his latest creation died quick and quiet, you might have something. What I was thinking was someone who could come at Stargate from a totally new perspective, and reinvigorate the franchise. As long as that person respects what came before, like JJ Abrams did with Star Trek, then he/she should be successful and I'd be willing to give it a chance.

And I second Alex's and Spyridon's sentiment, Maureen. Something is better than nothing.

Speaking as someone who has been jobless for going on three months, I can certainly understand the attraction in being able to pay one's bills and support oneself. I only hope that you have as wonderful a support system as I have--I couldn't be doing this without my family and friends. I'm in your cheering section!

Since the filters filtered what I said.

They had sex, and it got them out of a dimension.

seriously, wtf?

the previous comic, she was 'in wuv' with Xander, whom was by then going out with the of-legal-age younger sister of Buffy... Dawn, a mystical key-turned human with all the fake memories and documents that made people unaware that she hadn't existed prior to becoming human, etcetera.

Then, she turns around, and starts effing with Angel again? no seriously, WTF?

the Xanderzone is a big anti-Joss group these days.Still big on the Xander stuff, but we really dislike canon from season 6 onward... and the comics.
AlexMcpherson

Postby AlexMcpherson on Thu May 13, 2010 8:09 pm

DizzyDrea wrote:And I second Alex's and Spyridon's sentiment, Maureen. Something is better than nothing.

Oh. and...

I know what it's like to be jobless for longer. I'm in the unfortunate predicament of having left college when staying in would have really mattered to getting a job that I *may* have still been in now, or perhaps gone on to doing uni, or... well you know.

instead, I quit college since everything I was learning was on my own, and that is not the way it was meant to be. so I stopped the course... and ever since? problem after problem and people thinking I'm too negative (I call it being a realist. I'm not nearly negative enough for me to be pessimistic)
AlexMcpherson

PreviousNext

Return to Gen Fan Fiction Feedback & Comments