Fanfic ideas

This forum is for people to post ideas, wish lists, and suggestions for stories that they'd like to see someone write.

Re: Fanfic ideas

Postby MaureenT on Fri May 08, 2009 9:20 am

Spyridon wrote:How would one dispense the uterus? Because the though I'm having is gross.

If what you're thinking is that the uterus would be ejected through the vagina, then, yes, that would be gross, but, no, that's not what I had in mind. Goa'uld are capable of rapidly healing injuries in their hosts, so it's logical to theorize that a queen could do sort of the opposite, cause the uterus to shrivel up and dissolve or even use the body's own defense systems to attack and destroy it.
Dr. Markov: If you're implying that everything Russian-made is poor quality, actually the sub is Swiss.
Daniel: So they occasionally catch fire, but they keep perfect time? Sorry. I think I've been hanging around Jack O'Neill too much.

-- From the Stargate SG-1 episode "Watergate."
MaureenT
Site Admin

Postby Spyridon on Fri May 08, 2009 4:09 pm

No, I was thinking of the shriveling up thing. Still gross but the uterus going through the vagina is even more gross.

Maybe I shouldn't have gone to the Body Worlds exhibit. . . . . Still cool. Even with the display of the uterus like that. . . .
Spyridon

Postby DizzyDrea on Fri May 15, 2009 11:17 am

Okay, may I just say that the thought of a Goa'uld-come-rotorooter rearranging my insides is squicking me out?

But I do have to agree: I've read other fics that have a queen in a man's body (not good for the ego, I imagine), so when she spawns (yuk!), she's not using the host's reproductive organs. Disgusting, but there you have it. And, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there was ever a time on the show where they removed a queen from her host. They always killed them. Probably more merciful anyway.

MaureenT wrote:I try very hard not to deliberately ignore things that were established in the series unless I have no choice, like when the continuity error is so huge that there's no way to resolve it. I had to do that when I wrote the last story in the What You Already Know series. TPTB of the series totally messed up on the timeline, and there was no way to work with it the way they had it.

With this one, there is a way to work with what was said in the series. I just have to assume that Anise was referring to the Antarctic gate. I'm glad that I spotted that line when I did, though, since there is something in a later chapter of my story that would have been incorrect the way I had it written.

As for the complaints on continuity, I've been watching the DVD commentaries a lot lately, and this thread made me think of something Martin Wood said. He was talking about plot holes and continuity issues and plot devices that they use because they have to get themselves out of the hole they've dug. He said a lot of the time, when they come up against one of these issues, they just sort of blink at it, meaning they know it's there and they know it's a problem, but they're just going to pretend it isn't there so they can get on with telling the story. So, if that's the way the producers feel about the canon they've already established, it makes sense why you're having so much trouble. It matters more to you to get it right than it does to them--or more accurately, they're willing to take more liberties than you are. I suppose that in order to tell the story they want to tell, they have to make sacrifices like that, but I have to agree: it drives me nuts when I find a gaping hole like that. It's like "Do you even watch the show?"
DizzyDrea

Postby MaureenT on Fri May 15, 2009 4:38 pm

DizzyDrea wrote:Okay, may I just say that the thought of a Goa'uld-come-rotorooter rearranging my insides is squicking me out?

Yes, well, the whole idea of a snakelike, parasitic creature inside me, attached to my brain isn't exactly conducive to pleasant, mellow thoughts either.

DizzyDrea wrote:But I do have to agree: I've read other fics that have a queen in a man's body (not good for the ego, I imagine), so when she spawns (yuk!), she's not using the host's reproductive organs. Disgusting, but there you have it. And, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there was ever a time on the show where they removed a queen from her host. They always killed them. Probably more merciful anyway.

Now, why do I suddenly have images of a pregnant Arnold Schwarzenegger inside my head? Hmmm. ;)

We've only seen two queens in Stargate, Hathor and Egeria. Hathor was killed by Jack, and Egeria died shortly after she went inside the body of the Tok'ra host.

DizzyDrea wrote:As for the complaints on continuity, I've been watching the DVD commentaries a lot lately, and this thread made me think of something Martin Wood said. He was talking about plot holes and continuity issues and plot devices that they use because they have to get themselves out of the hole they've dug. He said a lot of the time, when they come up against one of these issues, they just sort of blink at it, meaning they know it's there and they know it's a problem, but they're just going to pretend it isn't there so they can get on with telling the story. So, if that's the way the producers feel about the canon they've already established, it makes sense why you're having so much trouble. It matters more to you to get it right than it does to them--or more accurately, they're willing to take more liberties than you are. I suppose that in order to tell the story they want to tell, they have to make sacrifices like that, but I have to agree: it drives me nuts when I find a gaping hole like that. It's like "Do you even watch the show?"

That's exactly how I feel. I think it's a sign of laziness and poor writing when producers and writers think that way, that they'll so quickly throw out continuity instead of taking the time and effort to come up with a plot that doesn't contradict something in a previous episode. Of course, it's not always a case of laziness. There are the times when they could have stayed true to something in an earlier episode by making just a few simple changes, but deliberately choose not to because it would mean that they'd have to sacrifice some scene or plot development. Lost City is the perfect example of that. They could have had Jack begin to show symptoms of the download within a few hours, just like he did in The Fifth Race, but that would have meant sacrificing the Jack/Sam shippy moment at his house, and heaven forbid that they should do that (I say sarcastically)! Of course, it would also have meant that we wouldn't have gotten the whole Simpson's discussion, which would have been a real shame, but at least the continuity would have remained intact. And then there are the times when it's a mistake, when they fail to do their homework while writing the script and end up with an error that could have been fixed merely by changing a few words.
Dr. Markov: If you're implying that everything Russian-made is poor quality, actually the sub is Swiss.
Daniel: So they occasionally catch fire, but they keep perfect time? Sorry. I think I've been hanging around Jack O'Neill too much.

MaureenT
Site Admin

Postby Spyridon on Tue May 19, 2009 11:42 pm

Maybe we should build a time machine and send Maureen back to the past to be the screenwriter for the show? :D
Spyridon

Postby MaureenT on Wed May 20, 2009 11:11 am

Spyridon wrote:Maybe we should build a time machine and send Maureen back to the past to be the screenwriter for the show? :D

I'm the wrong gender. Once Jonathan Glassner left and it became mostly a boy's club, I'd have probably been out of a job. In Seasons 4 thru 6, only 5 episodes were written or co-written by women. From Season 7 on, none were. Now, if I'd also managed to make myself an executive producer, then it would have been a different story. So we'd have to arrange for that as well. :D

MaureenT
Site Admin

Postby DizzyDrea on Wed May 20, 2009 1:16 pm

Okay, so this brings up another question: Does Stargate have a series "bible"? I know of other genre shows that have a "bible" or canon reference of some sort that has a timeline and details about various story and character arcs. I'd imagine it would be a fairly complex thing to create, but it would serve the show well in terms of avoiding continuity issues and such. I know they had one for the new BSG, and I don't remember, in four years of the show, finding any huge gaps or errors in timeline or character arc. Same thing with Babylon 5--Joe Strazynski had the whole thing outlined like a novel, so he knew exactly what would happen and deviated very little. So again, no plot holes and continuity issues.

I've watched a lot of sci fi shows over the years--I grew up a big Star Trek fan, among other shows--and I know that the longer a show runs, the harder it is to keep track of everything that's gone on, but that's still no excuse. But, as Dennis Miller says, "That's just my opinion. I could be wrong."
To imagine is everything; to know is nothing at all.
~Anais Nin
DizzyDrea

Postby Spyridon on Wed May 20, 2009 4:03 pm

There's a thread somewhere about this. Maureen was asking if she wrote a book about that, would people buy it?
Spyridon

Postby MaureenT on Wed May 20, 2009 4:23 pm

DizzyDrea wrote:Okay, so this brings up another question: Does Stargate have a series "bible"?

If they did, I'd say that they used it only for reference from time to time and pretty much ignored it when it was more convenient to do so. If they had a truly comprehensive bible and actually stuck to it, the series wouldn't have had as many continuity errors as it did.

MaureenT
Site Admin

Postby MaureenT on Wed May 20, 2009 4:39 pm

Spyridon wrote:There's a thread somewhere about this. Maureen was asking if she wrote a book about that, would people buy it?

What I was going to write wasn't a bible, it was a nitpicker's guide, a book with all the continuity errors, mistakes, and other boo boos in the series and the movies, as well as nitpicks about certain things.

Below are a couple of excerpts, for anyone who's interested.

What the Heck is it With All Those Apostrophes?!

It began with Sha'uri in the movie, which was changed to Sha're in the series (probably because it's easier to pronounce). Then we got Teal'c. So, okay, I could accept that some Abydonian names had apostrophes, and I could accept that most Jaffa names have apostrophes. But then those dang apostrophes started cropping up everywhere, in the names of Goa'uld, in the names of Tok'ra, in the names of humans from different cultures and planets all over the galaxy. Ma'chello, Ke'ra, La'el, Per'sus, Ta'seem, Hara'kash, Ja'din, and the list goes on. We won't nitpick about all the apostrophes in the Goa'uld language. After all, the French do that, too. Oh, yeah, and they also threw some into the Unas language. At least they left the Ancient language apostrophe-free.

So what's up with this love affair with splitting a name or word in two with a punctuation mark? Granted, it does give a word a bit of flare and perhaps gives it the appearance of a word or name not from Earth, but how about giving some of those other punctuation marks a chance? I think a dash or two would have been nice, and can you imagine the statement a name with an exclamation point would make? Don't you think that Per-sus would have looked just as cool? And how about La!el? Hey, let's get crazy and throw everything in. Ma'ch!el-lo looks totally rad to me. As far as I'm concerned, limiting it to apostrophes shows a shameful bias against all those other interesting punctuation marks. A question mark would probably be taking it too far, though.

If You're Going to Use a Mythical God's Name, Get it Right!

I am assuming that TPTB of Stargate did at least some research when they were picking the names of mythical gods for the various Goa'uld. So, why did they choose not to use all the names as they are in mythology?

First, we have Apophis and Anubis. Those names really are in mythology, and they really are the names of Egyptian gods. However, they are not Egyptian names. Apophis was the Greek name for Apep, and Anubis was the Greek name for Ienpw (pronounced "Yinepu"). So, why are those two Goa'uld using the Greek versions instead of the original Egyptian ones? Maybe it's because Anubis and Apophis sound so much more forbidding and godlike. After all, would you be afraid if a guy declared, "I am the god Apep!" in a booming voice? It does sound kind of silly, doesn't it, more like something you'd name a terrier. "Here, Apep! Here, boy!" And Ienpw? That just screams toy poodle . . . or maybe a Pomeranian.

Next, there's the cases where a perfectly good mythical god's name was altered for some reason. Among the most notable is Ba'al. The Canaanite deity's name was Baal, not an apostrophe in sight. Yeah, it's that apostrophe thing again, which also shows up in Heru'ru, which, in mythology, was Heru-ru, also called Horus the Elder. So, what would Freud have to say about this apostrophe obsession? Then there's Moloc, which comes from the very nasty sun god of the Canaanites, Moloch, also called Molekh. So, what happened to the 'h'? Was there some reason why it was removed? Do TPTB have a thing against silent h's?

If you're going to use the name of a god, you should stick to the right spelling for it. After all, you wouldn't want to insult any Canaanites, would you? They might sacrifice your kids or something.

MaureenT
Site Admin

Postby DizzyDrea on Wed May 20, 2009 4:54 pm

Okay, you have to stop doing that...I almost fell out of my chair I was laughing so hard! Seriously, the people here at work are beginning to wonder about me...

As for the book idea, I love it! Even if you just did something to post on your website, it would be well worth reading.

And I'm totally on board with the naming of the gods. Growing up in church, my bible didn't have a Ba'al in it. It had a Baal, who was indeed a Canaanite god, but no Ba'al. I always feel like I've got a case of the hiccups when pronouncing these names.

I just finished a story a few weeks ago called Sleeping Beauty Syndrome, and I had to come up with the name of a Goa'uld for the story, so I went to Wikipedia and looked up Canaanite gods. Egad, the horror! I'm not even going to talk about how annoying it is to see those names used interchangeably and without explanation. It's insane! But the research is enlightening. Would you be afraid of a Goa'uld named Nut? Me neither...guess that's why they never used it.
~Anais Nin
DizzyDrea

Postby MaureenT on Wed May 20, 2009 5:37 pm

DizzyDrea wrote:Okay, you have to stop doing that...I almost fell out of my chair I was laughing so hard! Seriously, the people here at work are beginning to wonder about me...

:D So sorry. If they cart you off to the funny farm, have them give me a call, and I'll get you out.

DizzyDrea wrote:As for the book idea, I love it! Even if you just did something to post on your website, it would be well worth reading.

Well, the whole idea is to actually make some money writing something related to Stargate. This thing is going to require a big commitment in time, including carefully watching all 214 episodes while noting all the errors. Then will come actually writing the book. If I'm going to write stuff that I'm not going to make any money on, I'd rather write fanfics.

DizzyDrea wrote:And I'm totally on board with the naming of the gods. Growing up in church, my bible didn't have a Ba'al in it. It had a Baal, who was indeed a Canaanite god, but no Ba'al. I always feel like I've got a case of the hiccups when pronouncing these names.

I was so resistant to putting that apostrophe in Baal that I chose not to in my fanfics, though I am now going back through them and putting the apostrophe in so that I'm being faithful to how it was in Stargate.

DizzyDrea wrote:I just finished a story a few weeks ago called Sleeping Beauty Syndrome, and I had to come up with the name of a Goa'uld for the story, so I went to Wikipedia and looked up Canaanite gods. Egad, the horror! I'm not even going to talk about how annoying it is to see those names used interchangeably and without explanation. It's insane! But the research is enlightening. Would you be afraid of a Goa'uld named Nut? Me neither...guess that's why they never used it.

A good resource for mythology is Encyclopedia Mythica at http://www.pantheon.org/

And, no, I don't think that Nut would be a name to inspire fear. Can you imagine what Jack would have said about that one? Look what he said about Ba'al's name?

MaureenT
Site Admin

Postby Spyridon on Thu May 21, 2009 7:51 am

K I'm curious. For some reason I have really bad recall abilities.

Plus are you going to have that sarcastic tone in the book as well? I would definitely buy it.
Spyridon

Postby MaureenT on Thu May 21, 2009 9:44 am

Spyridon wrote:K I'm curious. For some reason I have really bad recall abilities.

Plus are you going to have that sarcastic tone in the book as well? I would definitely buy it.

Actually, those are excerpts from the book, so, yes, some of the comments will be sarcastic and humorous, whereas others will be more serious. I'll be attempting to strike a balance between the two. I don't want this to be just a dry facts book. I want it to entertain people as well. All in all, I'd say that it will be pretty irreverent. I'm not going to pull my punches, that's for sure. Peter DeLuise would probably approve. :D

MaureenT
Site Admin

Postby DizzyDrea on Thu May 21, 2009 2:55 pm

Brad Wright would probably have a whole herd of kittens, but I think that's something I'd like to see. So, if you ever do decide to do it, I'm with you! I'm not sure I've ever seen anything like this done before--pointing out the errors and taking on TPTB. I know a fan tried to publish a Harry Potter Lexicon last year and JK Rowling successfully sued to have it stopped. Not sure this would be the same type of situation, but if you could get it past the network brass, there'd be a lot of hardcore fans who would probably buy it. Your muse has probably just gone on strike until you take up writing this epic. ;)

And thanks for the mythology link. I hate using Wikipedia because it's got a reputation for being terribly unreliable. Woud you believe it never occurred to me to do an internet search for a better alternative?
~Anais Nin
DizzyDrea

PreviousNext

Return to Fan Fiction Ideas and Suggestions