Fanfic ideas

This forum is for people to post ideas, wish lists, and suggestions for stories that they'd like to see someone write.

Re: Fanfic ideas

Postby MaureenT on Thu May 21, 2009 10:16 pm

From what I've heard about JK Rowling, it doesn't surprise me that she did that. I think that the Stargate producers are a lot more easygoing than that. From what I've seen and heard about Brad Wright, he's got quite a sense of humor, too. Since Stargate was not a network series, I wouldn't have to worry about that. It would be the Stargate producers and MGM who would have the power to put a stop to it. Since the series is off the air, I don't think that there would be as much of a worry about that.

Since it'll take quite a few months just to go through all the episodes and movies, I don't think this guide is the reason why my muse isn't showing herself. She's just being difficult . . . again.
Dr. Markov: If you're implying that everything Russian-made is poor quality, actually the sub is Swiss.
Daniel: So they occasionally catch fire, but they keep perfect time? Sorry. I think I've been hanging around Jack O'Neill too much.

-- From the Stargate SG-1 episode "Watergate."
MaureenT
Site Admin

Postby MaureenT on Thu May 21, 2009 10:20 pm

I forgot to mention that there have been nitpicker's guides done for other TV series, so this isn't a new concept. I think that one was done for Star Trek.
Dr. Markov: If you're implying that everything Russian-made is poor quality, actually the sub is Swiss.
Daniel: So they occasionally catch fire, but they keep perfect time? Sorry. I think I've been hanging around Jack O'Neill too much.

MaureenT
Site Admin

Postby Daryst on Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:10 am

This might be me, but I haven't found any Stories concerning Sam turned into a todler and Daniel taking care of her.

The first story I read was the otherway around and sadly turned into a S/J story in the end. A surprise that was. Searching for a S/D story and it ends up with S/J. And it was my first SG-1 FF as well! :P

There is the story with Daniel and his Mini-me + some stories in which the whole group is turned upside down. But with Sam working with all those devices, who knows what could happen. The same thing with Daniel and his archeological findings.

If by chance this already happened, please forward it!, if not. Just take it into consideration ;)
Daryst

Postby MaureenT on Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:39 am

There are stories out there with Sam turned into a kid, but I don't know if any of them have Daniel taking care of her. The problem with a story like that is that it would be a little hard to sell the idea that, after taking care of her as a young child, he would then have a romantic relationship with her once she was an adult again. I guess it would depend on the circumstances. Like, for example, if they were already in a relationship before Sam got downsized. Now, wouldn't that be awkward, to have your spouse or girlfriend/boyfriend turned into a little kid. :lol:

Now, a story that would be really cute would be Sam getting turned into a teenager, say somewhere in the mid-teens, and she gets a major crush on Daniel. He is extremely uncomfortable about it, of course. Once Sam gets back to her full age, she remembers everything that happened, and, although she's embarrassed, it changes her viewpoint of Daniel and unearths feelings that she previously didn't see.

When I wrote Bless the Children (the one with Daniel taking care of his mini-me), it was the first time to my knowledge that a story had been written in which Daniel alone was the guardian for a shrunken version of himself. There had been ones where he and Jack shared that duty (usually slash stories), but not just Daniel. So, there's a first time for everything.

MaureenT
Site Admin

Postby DizzyDrea on Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:37 am

I had an idea a while back for a fic with Daniel being shrunken to mini-me size, with no memory of his adult life. I haven't thought about it for a while, and I don't even remember what the inspiration was. Knowing me it was some random line of dialog in an episode or a fanfic that sparked my muse, who can be relentless at times.

You see, there was a device left over on an abandoned planet that was created by an offshoot of the Furlings that allowed people to experience a "second childhood", for lack of a better term. Essentially, it was designed to give people a way to resolve childhood issues that may be causing problems in adulthood, by sending them back to an age that was particularly happy for them. And just because this particular offshoot of the Furlings (called the Fenring) liked to play practical jokes, you might say. This being their particular brand of way offbeat humor to turn an otherwise normal adult into a child and see how they deal with it under circumstances totally different from the ones they knew as a child the first time.

At any rate, Daniel, as usual, is translating the writings, and finds the instructions, and as usual, touches something he's not supposed to, and when the team returns to the room, they find this kid instead of the grown up Daniel they're used to. So, they take him back to Earth, call the Asgard, because if Daniel's notes are correct, they don't know how to undo what's been done. And of course Thor is all tut, tut, tut about the Fenring.

Anyway, the team takes care of Daniel until they can figure out how to return him to adult size. And Sam finds out who Daniel was as a child, and that the adult he became is a direct result of the way he was as a child. Which enlightens her as to the attributes of an adult Daniel. So that, when he's returned to adult size, with all the memories of his time as a child intact, Sam figures out that her assumptions about Daniel are wrong, which enables her to want to see where a relationship with Daniel might go.

She's not exactly in love with him, nor does she fall in love with the mini-Daniel, but she learns about the core of Daniel's personality, and finds that when he's back to normal, that she's grown to understand Daniel so much better and finds that the adult Daniel appeals to her in a new way.

And Daniel, who'd formed something of a childhood crush on Sam due to her care of him as a child, also sees Sam in a new way. She's not just the scientist and Major he knew. She's also a woman capable of great compassion with a huge capactiy for love. Now, he probably knew this about her, but to experience it firsthand sometimes brings it home. Such would be the case for Daniel.

Now, this idea isn't perfect, which is why I haven't even sat down to tackle it. I may yet, but it's currently sitting at the bottom of a very long list of fics I've got in progress, as well as other ideas I've jotted down but not started yet. But if anyone wants to take a shot at it, I give you my blessing. I think I might even have notes somewhere I can share.
To imagine is everything; to know is nothing at all.
~Anais Nin
DizzyDrea

Postby Daryst on Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:07 am

After reading your draft/idea DizzyDrea. You mentioned Daniel touching everything. I just confirmed that also in Season 7 epsiode "Its good to be king". The epsiode with the time travel puddle jumper. When Daniel starts to work on that time machine and Sam just barely stops him.

You could do something like Sam is working on a device and asks Daniel to join to start brainstorming on what it does. And as reckless as Daniel is. Does something and the next thing you know. Sam is not the Sam he knew anymore.

Just a small thought on my part, but it could work ^__^
Daryst

Postby AlexMcpherson on Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:11 am

And guilt-tripping Daniel into relearning his ways too?

Jack would be... in the end, pleased, if it made Daniel less recklessly touchy feely.
AlexMcpherson

Postby MaureenT on Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:04 am

Are any of you at all aware of the fact that that whole thing about Daniel having a habit of getting into trouble because he touched something he shouldn't have is fannon, not canon? In other words, it's an invention of the fanfic writers, which ended up spreading throughout the fan community and getting confused with what was actually in the series.

So, let's count the number of times that Daniel actually got into trouble because he touched something he shouldn't have. It needs to be limited to times when Daniel was unaware of the fact that touching an object would cause something to happen since that's what this fannon fallacy is all about.

1. TBFTGOG - this was definitely a time when Daniel touched something he shouldn't have, although it turned out to be a good thing for our universe.

2. Holiday - This one really shouldn't be counted because he was instructed to touch the mind-switcher, or whatever you want to call it. If Ma'chello had picked Jack instead of Daniel, he'd have done the same thing.

3. Legacy - You might count this as one of the times, although nobody could possibly have suspected that the Goa'uld "page-turners" were booby-trapped, and he was really just using it the way it was supposed to be used rather than touching something purely out of curiosity. This is one that depends on your point of view as to whether or not it should be counted.

4. Watergate - Hmm. Should we count Daniel touching the surface of the water? The Russian gal certainly didn't think he should be doing that, but he did it in the hopes of communicating with the aliens, so it wasn't a case of ignorantly touching something. This is another one that depends on your point of view.

And that's it for the whole series. Only the first one is a case that nobody could argue about. Obviously, there were other times that Daniel touched things, but those other times resulted in nothing happening, or something good happening, or he did it knowing full well that something was going to happen.

Daniel is not the only person to have touched things that shouldn't have been touched. Jack, Mitchell and Vala have done so as well.

Now, if I've missed some, feel free to let me know. I went through the episodes one by one from a list, so it's possible that there's an incident that slipped my mind. Remember that it needs to be something he actually touched (Crystal Skull doesn't count), and it needs to be something that he touched while unaware that it would cause something to happen.

MaureenT
Site Admin

Postby DizzyDrea on Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:24 am

It doesn't surprise me that the fans have co-opted the idea that Daniel touches things he shouldn't and bad things happen, and turned it into something major. I think it stems from the fact that Daniel did do things against Jack's wishes from time to time, and the results weren't always good. And also, like Maureen mentioned, he does things sometimes that he doesn't realize until after the fact are going to turn out badly. It's inadvertant, at best, but it developed a reputation in some people's minds that Daniel touches things he shouldn't.

Now, knowing the character as we do, and understanding that he's an educated and trained archeologist, it's his job to investigate things. If he touched things without regard to safety, just because it's there, then he would be considered reckless by his peers. I just don't see Daniel as reckless. As a matter of fact, I'm sure Maureen could come up with examples of Daniel arguing against touching/activating or otherwise messing with something they shouldn't because he was wary of unintended consequences.

So, perhaps I should amend my earlier posting. The image I have in my mind is of Daniel running his hands over the writing on the wall, not knowing that there's an activation switch there that he's at risk of triggering. Because he's not as familiar with the Furling language, and the Fenring language would probably be slightly different yet, he's not aware he's putting himself in danger. And voila!

Jack might get angry because Daniel did it to himself, much like Ma'chello's little bugs, but even he has to realize that Daniel's not psychic. And as for this changing the way Daniel works...well, he's not a fool, but he also recognizes that there is a certain level of risk involved in the work he does. Like in Maureen's chapter on the Furling time device in TP...he used deductive reasoning and a rudamentary understanding of the language to piece together a solution. There was risk involved, but he chose to take the risk because he had no choice. Calculated risk is part of their jobs. I don't see Daniel changing that anytime soon.
To imagine is everything; to know is nothing at all.
~Anais Nin
DizzyDrea

Postby AlexMcpherson on Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:25 am

MaureenT wrote:Are any of you at all aware of the fact that that whole thing about Daniel having a habit of getting into trouble because he touched something he shouldn't have is fannon, not canon? In other words, it's an invention of the fanfic writers, which ended up spreading throughout the fan community and getting confused with what was actually in the series.

So, let's count the number of times that Daniel actually got into trouble because he touched something he shouldn't have. It needs to be limited to times when Daniel was unaware of the fact that touching an object would cause something to happen since that's what this fannon fallacy is all about.
<snippy>
Daniel is not the only person to have touched things that shouldn't have been touched. Jack, Mitchell and Vala have done so as well.

Now, if I've missed some, feel free to let me know. I went through the episodes one by one from a list, so it's possible that there's an incident that slipped my mind. Remember that it needs to be something he actually touched (Crystal Skull doesn't count), and it needs to be something that he touched while unaware that it would cause something to happen.

Any chance of examples of the others doing that kind of stuff?

Anyone?

I'll start with Season 1...
1. Cold Lazarus. though this is similar to the 'legacy' bit in that nobody could possibly have suspected that touching the crystal would do what it did do. And other crystals on earth can be touched, held, and so on, no probs...

2. Brief Candle - like 'Holiday', except with food he was told to eat, rather than a device he was told to grab hold of.

can't really find an example in season 2, but the fact that we have 2 examples for Jack in season 1, both before Daniel has even done any touching of the DND devices...
AlexMcpherson

Previous

Return to Fan Fiction Ideas and Suggestions