Fanfic ideas

This forum is for people to post ideas, wish lists, and suggestions for stories that they'd like to see someone write.

Re: Fanfic ideas

Postby MaureenT on Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:30 am

Yes, well, I wish that my other stories were demanding my attention. This story can wait, but Autumn of '73 and the Incidents Series really shouldn't wait. I need to be working on them. But do you think my muse cares? Hah!
Dr. Markov: If you're implying that everything Russian-made is poor quality, actually the sub is Swiss.
Daniel: So they occasionally catch fire, but they keep perfect time? Sorry. I think I've been hanging around Jack O'Neill too much.

-- From the Stargate SG-1 episode "Watergate."
MaureenT
Site Admin

Postby MaureenT on Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:00 pm

Well, I've got the first four chapters written of this fic, which I'll start posting either tonight or tomorrow ... after I figure out what I'm going to name it. :P Some changes have already been made to my original ideas, so that snippet I posted before will be a bit different when we get to that part of the story.
Dr. Markov: If you're implying that everything Russian-made is poor quality, actually the sub is Swiss.
Daniel: So they occasionally catch fire, but they keep perfect time? Sorry. I think I've been hanging around Jack O'Neill too much.

MaureenT
Site Admin

Postby Spyridon on Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:06 am

Sweet. Reading it right now.
Spyridon

Postby MaureenT on Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:53 pm

Well, guess what, Alex. You remember when you said that you thought Egeria helped with the rebellion? That isn't exactly true, but get this. I was reading the transcript for Crossroads and found this line, spoken by Anise:

"Egeria came to the Tau'ri to stop the Goa'uld from taking humans through the Stargate as slaves. Ra found her and killed her, but not before she had spawned our movement."

Before that was this line:

"The great queen Egeria. She broke from the Goa'uld over 2000 years ago. Her offspring became the Tok'ra."

The gate in Egypt was buried around 3,000 B.C. According to the second line I quoted, Egeria rebelled against the Goa'uld shortly before the first century A.D., so unless Anise is talking about the Stargate in Antarctica, that other statement is quite impossible!

This is a major screw up on the part of the scriptwriter, and I'm now going to have to figure out how I can explain this. Though we do know that the Goa'uld must have used the Antarctic gate since that frozen Jaffa was there, they obviously couldn't have trekked people on foot to get them there. So, the only way they could have used that gate to transport humans would have been to load people onto ships, take them to the gate, then ring them down. Most likely, weather conditions eventually became too extreme, the gate and DHD freezing over, and the Goa'uld finally had to abandon it.

So, let's assume that Anise was talking about the Antarctic gate. After deciding to rebel against the Goa'uld, Egeria went to Earth and somehow tried to stop the Goa'uld from taking any more humans. How she tried to accomplish that is something I sure would love to know. Bury or destroy the Antarctic gate perhaps? Whether Egeria had started spawning the Tok'ra before then or after is up for debate. According to what was said at another time, not all the Tok'ra were spawned back when she first rebelled. It said most of them were. So what I'm thinking is that she spawned the first several batches, the majority of the Tok'ra, then went to Earth and tried to stop more humans from being taken. After that, she went on the run, pursued by Ra. She managed to spawn the remainder of the Tok'ra, then was caught and put in the stasis jar.

So, how does that sound? You know, if the scriptwriters had taken the time to actually think about what they were writing and make sure that it didn't conflict with other things already in the canon of the series, we fic writers wouldn't have to clean up their messes. :P

Oh, and here's another interesting line from that episode:

"Very few Goa'uld came over to our side, but none in the past few hundred years."

This means that the Tok'ra managed to turn other Goa'uld to their way of thinking. Hmm. Very interesting. I wonder if they could have succeeded with the one inside Kianna if she hadn't died.

MaureenT
Site Admin

Postby Lucifel on Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:58 am

What did Jack say to Teal'c? Close your eyes, put your fingers in your ears and sing?
Maybe you can do that here to... ;)
Haben wir Gutes empfangen von Gott und sollten das Böse nicht auch annehmen?

What? shall we receive good at the hand of God, and shall we not receive evil?

Book of Job 2, 10
Lucifel

Postby Spyridon on Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:25 am

Well I admit I'm one of those authors who takes the timeline and just chops it up into what I see fit. I'm kind of doing that right now with my Power Ranger arc stories. And I think I did it in my stargate stories too. . . . Which is why I'm an AU author. :lol:
Spyridon

Postby MaureenT on Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:54 pm

Lucifel wrote:What did Jack say to Teal'c? Close your eyes, put your fingers in your ears and sing?
Maybe you can do that here to... ;)

I try very hard not to deliberately ignore things that were established in the series unless I have no choice, like when the continuity error is so huge that there's no way to resolve it. I had to do that when I wrote the last story in the What You Already Know series. TPTB of the series totally messed up on the timeline, and there was no way to work with it the way they had it.

With this one, there is a way to work with what was said in the series. I just have to assume that Anise was referring to the Antarctic gate. I'm glad that I spotted that line when I did, though, since there is something in a later chapter of my story that would have been incorrect the way I had it written.

MaureenT
Site Admin

Postby MaureenT on Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:56 pm

Spyridon wrote:Well I admit I'm one of those authors who takes the timeline and just chops it up into what I see fit. I'm kind of doing that right now with my Power Ranger arc stories. And I think I did it in my stargate stories too. . . . Which is why I'm an AU author. :lol:

When you're writing an AU, you have a lot of freedom to change things. That's the beauty of AUs. Since this story is not an AU, I have to follow what was established as canon in the series.

MaureenT
Site Admin

Postby Spyridon on Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:31 pm

MaureenT wrote:
Spyridon wrote:Well I admit I'm one of those authors who takes the timeline and just chops it up into what I see fit. I'm kind of doing that right now with my Power Ranger arc stories. And I think I did it in my stargate stories too. . . . Which is why I'm an AU author. :lol:

When you're writing an AU, you have a lot of freedom to change things. That's the beauty of AUs. Since this story is not an AU, I have to follow what was established as canon in the series.

*scratches head* well, i do that with every story I write, including the ones that fit into canon. Shoving squre peg into circle hole.
Spyridon

Postby ecrm on Thu May 07, 2009 4:20 am

This topic seemed to be the best place to post this so;

I really like Turning Point so far and I'm looking forward to further updates. I hope we get to see a bit of pheromone usage in the story, being a very interesting ability. Can we see her create a jaffa too, please!!-I'd like to see Egeria's approach. Good work with the story so far.

Goa'uld reproduction is a very difficult topic partly because the writers of Stargate seem to like contradicting themselves. I think that MaureenT is right in that the eggs are fertilised asexually by the Queen and the human DNA is then spliced on in the final stages. Regarding gestation having watched the episode recently I noticed that the tub is noticeably less full in the earlier scenes than later, indicating Hathor was giving birth in stages to avoid overcrowding in the womb. How she gives birth is the interesting part, there is a theory that the Queen alters the reproductive system of the host itself in order to generate larvae. In order to do this she'd probably have to rewrite DNA in the ovaries to accomplish the goal. I don't believe that the Queen would be able to stretch all the way down, there are simply too many vital organs in the way. Genetic manipulation I believe is the best guess, but it would be tricky and would make lasting changes to the host's body. This theory also does away with the need to have a large birthing sac inside a human body.

Regarding where the larvae gestate, I think that they go through an early phase in the (human) womb and then finish gestating in the water outside. This would alleviate the problem of fitting hundreds of larvae into a small space especially if birthed in stages. In the episode they do seem to start out smaller (when Hathor picks them up to show to O'Neill) & end up larger(burning at the end) I read one story where the Queen releases a kind of amniotic fluid into the water to help strengthen the young. Not canon but it did add to the ick factor (the water feeling like runny egg) quite nicely.

Forgot to mention: The adding of human DNA helps to prevent rejection. As seen on the Unas planet Goa'uld can blend without DNA and not be rejected. However the primitive Goa'uld were lucky as without DNA & Jaffa incubation they only had a 60% chance of success. Still I suppose anything's preferable to living in a swamp for an extremely long lifetime.
ecrm

Postby Spyridon on Thu May 07, 2009 8:24 pm

Hmm, very good points. Good to have you with us chatterboxes. :D

I don't think Egeria would make a Jaffa if Egeria was like Maureen's Egeria. Hmm, but then again, anything can happen.
Spyridon

Postby MaureenT on Thu May 07, 2009 11:43 pm

ecrm wrote:I really like Turning Point so far and I'm looking forward to further updates. I hope we get to see a bit of pheromone usage in the story, being a very interesting ability. Can we see her create a jaffa too, please!!-I'd like to see Egeria's approach. Good work with the story so far.

Thanks. I'm glad that you're enjoying it. I really hope that I'll be able to get back to writing soon.

Egeria already has Jaffa, so she'd have no reason to create any. Besides, with the exception of what Hathor did, I doubt that humans have been turned into Jaffa in a very long time. Once the original Jaffa were created and began reproducing, there would no longer have been a reason to go around changing humans into Jaffa. The only reason why Hathor did it was that she didn't have access to any Jaffa.

ecrm wrote:Goa'uld reproduction is a very difficult topic partly because the writers of Stargate seem to like contradicting themselves. I think that MaureenT is right in that the eggs are fertilised asexually by the Queen and the human DNA is then spliced on in the final stages. Regarding gestation having watched the episode recently I noticed that the tub is noticeably less full in the earlier scenes than later, indicating Hathor was giving birth in stages to avoid overcrowding in the womb. How she gives birth is the interesting part, there is a theory that the Queen alters the reproductive system of the host itself in order to generate larvae. In order to do this she'd probably have to rewrite DNA in the ovaries to accomplish the goal. I don't believe that the Queen would be able to stretch all the way down, there are simply too many vital organs in the way. Genetic manipulation I believe is the best guess, but it would be tricky and would make lasting changes to the host's body. This theory also does away with the need to have a large birthing sac inside a human body.

You are right that the tank looked fuller later on than it did in the beginning. I also noticed that when I watched the episode recently. So it may very well be that the larvae are spawned in two or three batches. That would also explain why Hathor went back into the tub.

As for altering the reproductive system of the host, I can think of several reasons why that wouldn't be feasible. For example, if you're talking about actually using the host's own eggs, then the resulting offspring wouldn't contain the Goa'uld genetic knowledge. According to what we learned in Evolution, a queen apparently passes on her genetic knowledge through some kind of mental link with the larvae. If the host's own eggs and womb were being used to spawn the larvae, then the Goa'uld queen would have no physical connection to them. This would mean that she'd have to "broadcast" all that knowledge via the host's nervous system into the uterus. Humans aren't designed for such things, so there's even more alterations that would have to be made to the host's body. There's also the fact that queens can and do spawn outside a human host. So they use their own eggs when they're not in a host and use the host's eggs when they are? No, I really can't buy that. It's too radical and really wouldn't be necessary. Judging by the size of Egeria in The Cure and the queen in Evolution, they are plenty big enough to reach all the way from the base of the skull to the vagina, so there would be no reason why the larvae could not be spawned inside the queen's own body.

And there's something else to consider. We know that Goa'uld were originally aquatic creatures that, somewhere along the way, evolved the ability to become parasitic and take hosts. So when would they have gained the ability to make such changes to host bodies? Evolution is a form of adaptation. A life form doesn't evolve unless there is a need to do so, and it is in response to things like environmental changes, the availability of food, prey and/or predators becoming larger, and other such factors. So how could the original Goa'uld on P3X-888 have evolved the ability to make those kinds of changes to a host's body when they'd never been in hosts before? Not only that, but they'd also have had to gain the ability to change the DNA of all the different species that they used as hosts. Evolution takes a very long time, so the ability couldn't possibly have developed during the relatively short time that has passed since the Goa'uld first began taking hosts. These kinds of changes are not simple things. You're talking about completely rewriting DNA to change it from one life form to another, sort of like what was happening to Teal'c in Bane. Of course, there's also the fact that, if such was the case, the larvae spawned would not actually be the offspring of the queen since her own genetic material would not be used.

ecrm wrote:Regarding where the larvae gestate, I think that they go through an early phase in the (human) womb and then finish gestating in the water outside. This would alleviate the problem of fitting hundreds of larvae into a small space especially if birthed in stages. In the episode they do seem to start out smaller (when Hathor picks them up to show to O'Neill) & end up larger(burning at the end) I read one story where the Queen releases a kind of amniotic fluid into the water to help strengthen the young. Not canon but it did add to the ick factor (the water feeling like runny egg) quite nicely.

I've already said in this thread that I really don't think that the host's womb is used. I won't go into all that again, but here's something new to consider. I postulated earlier in this thread that the uterus of a queen's host is dispensed with, along with the rest of the reproductive organs. They'd just get in the way and would no longer be needed anyway, as far as the queen was concerned. Now, the two queens that we saw in their natural form were enormous when they were spawning, way too big to fit inside a human, but there's no saying that they have to get that big, especially if they can spawn in more than one batch. So it could be that a queen in a human host uses only the lower portion of her birthing sac, which she fits into the space where the host's uterus used to be. It expands into the same area that the uterus would, filling the belly as if the host was pregnant with a child of her own.

Yes, you are right that the larvae Hathor picked up were little bitty things, quite a bit smaller than the ones we saw later on, but another answer for that could simply be that the newly spawned larvae grow very rapidly during the first couple of hours or so, an evolutionary development from when the young were being born inside a body of water infested with predators, including other Goa'uld, who were quite obviously not opposed to cannibalism. Rapid growth would increase the chances of the larvae's survival. Actually, thinking about that, it couldn't be a case of the larvae finishing gestation outside the queen's body. How could the queens living in the bodies of water on the original homeworld have released enough amniotic fluid to fill an entire lake or pond? Is this yet another adaptation developed in an incredibly short time? It doesn't seem logical. It would be more logical if it's a case like that of fish such as salmon. Newly hatched salmon look nothing like fish and are very, very tiny. They go through a number of stages before adulthood. The new larvae could do something similar, starting out as the weird little things we saw Hathor holding, then going through a very rapid change to the next stage, what we saw later on in that episode.

ecrm wrote:Forgot to mention: The adding of human DNA helps to prevent rejection. As seen on the Unas planet Goa'uld can blend without DNA and not be rejected. However the primitive Goa'uld were lucky as without DNA & Jaffa incubation they only had a 60% chance of success. Still I suppose anything's preferable to living in a swamp for an extremely long lifetime.

It could be that rejection is still an issue but that the symbiote is eventually able to counteract it, either by destroying or severely weakening the host's immune system, like what happens with a Jaffa, or through the use of chemicals similar to the drugs that people who have received donor organs must take to prevent rejection. Because the process weakens the symbiote and could result in its death, it's better and safer when the host species DNA is used to prevent rejection in the first place. Then the Goa'uld can far more easily take a host without having to worry about dealing with the body's defense systems.

MaureenT
Site Admin

Postby ecrm on Fri May 08, 2009 1:07 am

You post a very convincing argument regarding the Goa'uld not being capable of such manipulation. I think you're probably right in that the Queen somehow grows a thin birthing sac all the way down the spine which then fills out or replaces the uterus. That part you've sold me on, I still find it difficult to accept that she swells that much following conception; Hathor never seemed to put on any weight at all and bear in mind that these are very small snakes, enough could probably fit into her without stretching. The human intestine is the length of several football pitches and fits ok, I think the Queen would probably have enough room inside the host without stretching, especially if she spawns say 40 per session with three sessions per day. It depends of how quickly Queen's give birth and the evidence from Hathor says very quickly indeed.
As for the amniotic fluid idea I would have thought that for spawning in the natural environment the Queen would use a fairly small pool connected to larger ones, in order to avoid predators and so forth. This could be backed up by the fact that Hathor was comfortable using such a small bath. In a small pool a Queen wouldn't have a problem producing enough fluid to mingle with the water and it would help to account for why the larvae grow so quickly (a nutritional source from the mother).
As for creating Jaffa I would have thought that as she is going to be spawning Tok'ra in great numbers she'd probably need some extra Jaffa, which would come in handy for defence when Ra learns of what she's doing. I had a funny thought last night of Thor cameoing for whatever reason and meeting with past Daniel. I think you're writing a time travelling Daniel very well; just the right blend of secrecy and truth, will his secret get out though?
ecrm

Postby Spyridon on Fri May 08, 2009 7:07 am

How would one dispense the uterus? Because the though I'm having is gross.
Spyridon

Postby MaureenT on Fri May 08, 2009 9:11 am

ecrm wrote:You post a very convincing argument regarding the Goa'uld not being capable of such manipulation. I think you're probably right in that the Queen somehow grows a thin birthing sac all the way down the spine which then fills out or replaces the uterus. That part you've sold me on, I still find it difficult to accept that she swells that much following conception; Hathor never seemed to put on any weight at all and bear in mind that these are very small snakes, enough could probably fit into her without stretching. The human intestine is the length of several football pitches and fits ok, I think the Queen would probably have enough room inside the host without stretching, especially if she spawns say 40 per session with three sessions per day. It depends of how quickly Queen's give birth and the evidence from Hathor says very quickly indeed.

There is no conception since conception is the process of becoming pregnant involving fertilization and/or implantation, neither of which thing would happen in the case of a Goa'uld queen.

In the case of Hathor, there were times when we did not see her, so it's possible that it was during those times that the swelling took place. We know that the whole process, from getting the host species DNA to spawning the first young, must be very quick. It could be that the stomach area of the queen's host swells to perhaps the size of a woman around seven months pregnant, which would likely be big enough to hold quite a few of the larvae, especially considering the fact that we didn't see how tiny they are when they first emerge. By the time Hathor showed those larvae, they were probably half an hour or more old. Based upon how fast they apparently grow, the ones she picked up could have already grown an inch or more. It could be that, after each batch is born, the swelling disappears. I have no trouble believing that a Goa'uld could enable the skin to contract back to its former state without any signs of having been stretched. Compared to healing injuries, it would be a simple thing to accomplish.

There were a heck of a lot more than 120 larvae in that tank by the end, so Hathor couldn't have only given birth 3 times to 40 at a time. Not counting the opening scene, the entire episode happened over the course of just one day, the actual spawning process happening within the space of no more than a few hours. In that time, Hathor birthed what looked like hundreds of larvae. That tub was teeming with them.

ecrm wrote:As for the amniotic fluid idea I would have thought that for spawning in the natural environment the Queen would use a fairly small pool connected to larger ones, in order to avoid predators and so forth. This could be backed up by the fact that Hathor was comfortable using such a small bath. In a small pool a Queen wouldn't have a problem producing enough fluid to mingle with the water and it would help to account for why the larvae grow so quickly (a nutritional source from the mother).

If the pool is connected to the lake, how would the queen prevent the amniotic fluid from leaking out of the pool? This would also mean that the survival of the species would depend upon having a lake or big pond that had a little pool separate from the rest.

It would be neither practical nor logical for a species to reproduce in a way that requires that gestation of the young be completed outside the protection of the mother's body. But then, it wouldn't really be gestation anyway. Gestation is the process of carrying or the state of being carried inside a womb until birth. Once they were ejected from the birthing sac, technically, they would no longer be gestating.

Of course there's the case of kangaroos, in which the newly born young are not fully developed, looking more like fetuses, and finish developing inside the mother's pouch, but newborn kangaroos are utterly helpless and die very quickly if they fail to complete the arduous journey to the pouch.

I still say it's a situation like salmon and similar fish. When they are first born, the larvae are very tiny. They then go through rapid stages of growth and transformation until they finally reach the stage where they look like Teal'c's "Junior" did. The larvae we saw at the end of Hathor hadn't finished going through that rapid growth phase.

ecrm wrote:As for creating Jaffa I would have thought that as she is going to be spawning Tok'ra in great numbers she'd probably need some extra Jaffa, which would come in handy for defence when Ra learns of what she's doing. I had a funny thought last night of Thor cameoing for whatever reason and meeting with past Daniel. I think you're writing a time travelling Daniel very well; just the right blend of secrecy and truth, will his secret get out though?

Spyridon was right when she said that my Egeria would not take humans and turn them into Jaffa. Though there would probably be some people in her domain who would be willing to undergo such a thing in exchange for the physical benefits they'd get, I doubt that there would be all that many, not enough for all the Tok'ra to whom she would give birth, and she most definitely would not force anyone to undergo the transformation.

Egeria's Jaffa are probably very loyal to her, even more so that the average Jaffa of another Goa'uld because she treats them so well. I think that if Egeria told a couple thousand or so of them that she wanted the larvae presently inside them to be removed and replaced with her own offspring, the Jaffa would do it in a heartbeat. They wouldn't question her motives. Many of them would probably feel honored to be chosen to carry the children of their own queen. Also, the last thing Egeria would want to do would be to attract attention to herself, and suddenly increasing the size of her Jaffa population would send up all kinds of red flags to the other Goa'uld.

Ra didn't find out about what Egeria was doing until she went to Earth and tried to stop humans from being taken off the planet. From that point on, she was hunted relentlessly and would have had no big army for protection. She probably remained free as long as she did by staying in hiding.

Sorry, but there will not any cameos by Thor in this story. :) Thanks for the compliment. Whether or not Daniel's secret will be revealed is something you'll just have to wait and see.

MaureenT
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Fan Fiction Ideas and Suggestions