Fanfic idea...

This forum is for people to post ideas, wish lists, and suggestions for stories that they'd like to see someone write.

Fanfic idea...

Postby AlexMcpherson on Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:11 pm

Title: "Reality Check"

Season 1-10 of Stargate SG-1, scenes rewritten so that while the story doesn't change, the substance is... hmm, can't think of an appropriate analogy.
Basically, just certain scenes that would 'fix' certain canon errors (since Lost City very well can't happen within a day, a fix to 'The Fifth Race' so that that episode does indeed take place over several days... Establishing a fixed mechanism for stargate dialing, and how if the gate technicians react quick enough, then each and every time the iris will close before the great orifice appears.

Also, emotional stuff. when a character seems to have way too much of a subdued reaction, that's because he or she tries hard to hold in their reaction at the time. (for instance, Sam in Full Circle.)

Both as a corrective and a missing scene fanfic, really. Ficlets, rather. a collection of oneshots I guess... maybe we can all take turns, with big discussion of each episode of where to do a fix and to fix it to what etcetera. That way Maureen isn't the only writer and can get time to work on the sequel to Lingchi, and the next few chapters of A'73.
AlexMcpherson

Re: Fanfic idea...

Postby MaureenT on Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:42 pm

Actually, what would be really fun to do would be a parody. In it, Daniel, Sam, Teal'c and others come to life and confront the writers on all the continuity errors, character development flaws, and everything else, and the writers/producers respond with totally ridiculous explanations and excuses. There was one fic I read that was hilarious. It was a spoof on the Jack/Sam stuff that had the characters realizing that they were the victims of being brainwashed and manipulated by TPTB. Every time the Jack/Sam shippy theme would start playing, Jack and Sam would zone out and be mesmerized by each other. I wish I could remember the title because I'd love to read it again. Then there was the Round Robin that I was part of that had to do with Daniel's lost brain, i.e. how he was dumbed down from the way he was in the first couple of seasons because TPTB wanted Sam's intelligence to shine above all others. That one was S/D.
Dr. Markov: If you're implying that everything Russian-made is poor quality, actually the sub is Swiss.
Daniel: So they occasionally catch fire, but they keep perfect time? Sorry. I think I've been hanging around Jack O'Neill too much.

-- From the Stargate SG-1 episode "Watergate."
MaureenT
Site Admin

Postby MaureenT on Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:09 pm

Heres just a little snippet that came to me. |-D

REALITY CHECK: EPISODE 1 -- CHILDREN OF THE GODS

TEASER

FADE IN

INT—GATE ROOM

[Five airmen are sitting around a table at the bottom of the ramp, playing poker.]

AIRMAN 1
Oh man, this hand's as lousy as this detail. All right, everybody, ante up.
(Looking to female airman)
That's you, too.
(He deals)
Seven to the deuce, nothing there. Boss and the eight, nothing happening. Queen to the king, possible straight going there. Eight on the eight, and the jack gets a boss. Eights open.

FEMALE AIRMAN
Aren't you guys afraid of an officer coming down here or something?

AIRMAN 2
Trust me, nobody ever comes down here but us.

FEMALE AIRMAN
(Notices that cover over the Stargate is billowing slightly)
Does that thing always do that?

AIRMAN 1
Do what?

FEMALE AIRMAN
Whatever it is under the tarp. I just . . . saw it move or do something.

AIRMAN 2
Probably the only thing it ever did was cost money.

AIRMAN 1
Yeah, and it looks like they ran out of that. They've been shipping personnel out of here for months.

FEMALE AIRMAN
(Sees the tarp move again)
I'm telling you, the thing is moving!

AIRMAN 2
If you don't have the straight, just—

A VOICE OUT OF NOWHERE FREEZES THE SCENE

"Whoa, wait a minute!" says Captain Samantha Carter. "Why is the tarp billowing?"

"Oh, because it builds suspense," reply TPTB.

Sam stares at them. "But what's making it move?"

"Um, it's . . . it's sort of an advance effect of an incoming wormhole."

Sam's eyes narrow. "An advance effect?"

The heads of TPTB nodded energetically. "Yes. You see, ahead of the wormhole, there's this . . . this cosmic wind that comes through."

Colonel Jack O'Neill jumps into the conversation. "Cosmic wind?" he repeats.

"Yes! Yes! You know, sort of like the solar winds. It precedes all wormholes."

"I know of no such cosmic winds," Teal'c states.

"Yeah, it's news to me, too," says Doctor Daniel Jackson. "Why didn't we ever feel this, uh, cosmic wind when there was an incoming wormhole?"

TPTB pause. "Uhhhh . . . because it's a really weak wind."

"A really weak wind," Jack repeats sarcastically. "So, it's more like a cosmic breeze, huh."

Sam shakes her head, not buying it. "So, how does it travel through space ahead of the wormhole?"

TPTB all look at each other. "We'll get back to you on that. Let's move on, shall we?"

ACTION RESUMES

[Female airman gets up from her seat and walks towards the Stargate.]

AIRMAN 1
(Calls to her)
Can we take that as a fold?

AIRMAN 2
Just finish the hand. She's out.

[The female airman approaches the tarp and starts up the ramp. It starts shaking suddenly. They hear a rumbling sound, and she backs away down the ramp as it shakes along with the table where the other airmen are seated. They jump to their feet, hands to their guns.]

AIRMAN 3
What the. . . .

[The tarp flies up and off, revealing the Stargate spinning and active.]

SCENE FREEZES AGAIN

"Weak wind?" Jack says. "It just blew the tarp right off the dang Stargate!"

"It got stronger?" TPTB respond weakly.

Teal'c frowns. "I traveled through the Stargate many times during the decades of my service to Apophis, yet I have never seen evidence of this cosmic wind."

"Well, that's because it's only Earth's Stargate that has it," TPTB explain.

"Why?" ask all four members of SG-1.

"Uhhhh. . . ."

"Hey, maybe it's really a cosmic fart," Jack says. "That would explain why it's never happened before or since. You know, eating those cosmic beans will do it to you every time. They do say that Americans have really poor eating habits."

"Maybe we should put the Stargate on a diet," Daniel suggests helpfully, "more fruits and vegetables."

"Nah, more fiber. That's what it needs."

"Oh, shut up!" snap TPTB, sounding like pissy juveniles. "You guys aren't even in the episode yet, so you shouldn't be allowed to say anything."

"I'm just sayin'," Jack responds. "More fiber will do the trick."

"Or perhaps some Activa," suggests Teal'c.
Dr. Markov: If you're implying that everything Russian-made is poor quality, actually the sub is Swiss.
Daniel: So they occasionally catch fire, but they keep perfect time? Sorry. I think I've been hanging around Jack O'Neill too much.

MaureenT
Site Admin

Postby AlexMcpherson on Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:11 pm

Lol.

I'll see about a few more scenes tomorrow, as I've sort of got an idea for the star trek 'Reality Check' :P
AlexMcpherson

Postby MaureenT on Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:51 pm

AlexMcpherson wrote:Lol.

I'll see about a few more scenes tomorrow, as I've sort of got an idea for the star trek 'Reality Check' :P

I wasn't really intending for this to be a Round Robin. I do plan on writing the whole thing for Children of the Gods. In fact, I've already got a lot of it in my head. Then, depending on how it's received, I'll gradually work through the episodes one by one, which will take a long time but will be a fun side project to work on in my spare time. At least I've already got the groundwork done on the nitpicks and errors on the whole first season.

MaureenT
Site Admin

Postby AlexMcpherson on Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:28 am

MaureenT wrote:I wasn't really intending for this to be a Round Robin. I do plan on writing the whole thing for Children of the Gods. In fact, I've already got a lot of it in my head. Then, depending on how it's received, I'll gradually work through the episodes one by one, which will take a long time but will be a fun side project to work on in my spare time. At least I've already got the groundwork done on the nitpicks and errors on the whole first season.

Um, from the end of the first post :
AlexMcpherson wrote:maybe we can all take turns, with big discussion of each episode of where to do a fix and to fix it to what etcetera. That way Maureen isn't the only writer and can get time to work on the sequel to Lingchi, and the next few chapters of A'73.

:P
AlexMcpherson

Postby MaureenT on Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:05 am

AlexMcpherson wrote:Um, from the end of the first post :
AlexMcpherson wrote:maybe we can all take turns, with big discussion of each episode of where to do a fix and to fix it to what etcetera. That way Maureen isn't the only writer and can get time to work on the sequel to Lingchi, and the next few chapters of A'73.

:P

Yes, I know you said that, but that was when you were talking about your idea to write a series of fanfics that actually fix the errors and plot holes by doing rewrites to scenes in the episodes. That's not what this is. What I'm doing here a series of parodies that point out the the errors, plot holes and inconsistencies. With some of them, I will offer solutions, those that I can actually come up with explanations for, but others, like the billowing tarp in this snippet, I won't.

You're welcome to do what you talked about before, but I'm not sure how much I'd be able to contribute to it. I've already got too much on my fic-writing plate. This thing I've started is just a fun side project for me to work on when I feel like doing something humorous. I'm planning on posting them on fanfiction.net, so I've now changed the format for this one so that it follows their rules on no non-story submissions. Since I am going to post the parodies there, they have to be done by a single author, which I would prefer anyway.

Again, if you'd like to get started on the idea you came up with, go right ahead. Since those will be serious "fix-it" stories, both can be done without it feeling like the same thing.

MaureenT
Site Admin

Return to Fan Fiction Ideas and Suggestions