Conversation with a Non-Human Creature

This forum is for people to post ideas, wish lists, and suggestions for stories that they'd like to see someone write.

Re: Conversation with a Non-Human Creature

Postby MaureenT on Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:34 pm

AlexMcpherson wrote:You've got Trilogitus.
:twisted:

Trilogitus?!!! The dreaded disease that makes the afflicted person turn stories into trilogies? Oh, no. Not that! I need to get to the doctor right away before this spreads to other stories. I'll be turning Bless the Children into a trilogy before I've even written the sequel. And that's only one story that could be infected. :o :shock: :!:
Dr. Markov: If you're implying that everything Russian-made is poor quality, actually the sub is Swiss.
Daniel: So they occasionally catch fire, but they keep perfect time? Sorry. I think I've been hanging around Jack O'Neill too much.

-- From the Stargate SG-1 episode "Watergate."
MaureenT
Site Admin

Postby MaureenT on Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:36 pm

AlexMcpherson wrote:Heh, would she like an introduction? :D

Based upon her reaction, I'd say the answer is no.
Dr. Markov: If you're implying that everything Russian-made is poor quality, actually the sub is Swiss.
Daniel: So they occasionally catch fire, but they keep perfect time? Sorry. I think I've been hanging around Jack O'Neill too much.

MaureenT
Site Admin

Postby AlexMcpherson on Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:49 pm

I have female friends who say that those guys are cute.
So, sure?
*teasingly* okay then...
AlexMcpherson

Postby MaureenT on Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:51 pm

Lucifel wrote:I meant to be sarcastic about that, actually.
The written word didn't convey that very well, though.

To hopefully cheer you up, you've given us enough else to read, so we don't feel neglected.
So don't be too hard on yourself, okay?

Thank you for trying to make me feel better, but it still bothers me. I left four unfinished fics in two other fandoms when I got involved in writing Stargate fics because my muse lost all interest in writing for those TV shows, so it bothers me that I have Stargate stories that have been left incomplete for so long. At least with the Incidents Series, it's just a case of not having written the next story. If I never returned to it, people would wonder how Daniel got shrunk to a kid, but at least I didn't leave it hanging in the middle of one of the fanfics. Autumn of '73 is the one that really bothers me. What I think I need to do with that one is skip over the part that's the problem and go on to later stuff, taking it all the way to the end. Then, once that's done and all that's left is to bridge the two pieces together, perhaps I can finally get it done.

MaureenT
Site Admin

Postby AlexMcpherson on Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:53 pm

Try alternating TPD and A'73 chapters...
AlexMcpherson

Postby MaureenT on Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:55 pm

AlexMcpherson wrote:I have female friends who say that those guys are cute.
So, sure?
*teasingly* okay then...

Not that she wouldn't find them cute, but she doesn't believe in inter-species dating, although she said that she'd make an exception with Daniel, if he really existed.

MaureenT
Site Admin

Postby AlexMcpherson on Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:01 pm

.. Quite.

Today, while talking about your fics and stuff, I admitted to a lad that "if I were gay" I would have had a crush on him too.

And you know, I'm fine with that. There are worse ones out there, and fewer better ones.

and now I'm wierded out. So... Interspecies relations a no-go for her?
Shame.
AlexMcpherson

Postby MaureenT on Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:30 pm

AlexMcpherson wrote:and now I'm wierded out. So... Interspecies relations a no-go for her?
Shame.

Oh, you wouldn't say that if you knew her like I do, Alex. She'd drive any man she dated straight into the bottle. Count your gender and our species lucky that she's only interested in other muses.

(By now, I should think that half of the people out there on this message board who never say a word think we're all nuts for personifying muses and talking about Goa'uld like they really exist. :D Not that I really care. We did the muse thing in the other fandom that I used to frequent, and we had a ball with it. Everyone got in on the fun. I should tell you about the Great Muse War sometime. That's what earned me the title of General Maureen.)

MaureenT
Site Admin

Postby AlexMcpherson on Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:48 pm

MaureenT wrote:
AlexMcpherson wrote:and now I'm wierded out. So... Interspecies relations a no-go for her?
Shame.

Oh, you wouldn't say that if you knew her like I do, Alex. She'd drive any man she dated straight into the bottle. Count your gender and our species lucky that she's only interested in other muses.

(By now, I should think that half of the people out there on this message board who never say a word think we're all nuts for personifying muses and talking about Goa'uld like they really exist. :D Not that I really care. We did the muse thing in the other fandom that I used to frequent, and we had a ball with it. Everyone got in on the fun. I should tell you about the Great Muse War sometime. That's what earned me the title of General Maureen.)

Yes, and my Muse is very jealous.
She (and yes, my muse is female) dislikes my poor writing ability, compared to yours anyway, although she freely admits that I can have one or two good ideas a week...
You know, When she said that, I wasn't sure whether to be proud or insulted.
AlexMcpherson

Postby MaureenT on Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:14 pm

AlexMcpherson wrote:Yes, and my Muse is very jealous.
She (and yes, my muse is female) dislikes my poor writing ability, compared to yours anyway, although she freely admits that I can have one or two good ideas a week...
You know, When she said that, I wasn't sure whether to be proud or insulted.

Um, excuse me, but if she's calling your writing ability poor, isn't she really saying that her ability is poor? After all, she is your muse. She's the one who is supposed to be inspiring you, giving you ideas and helping you fulfill them. Or is she one of those muses that takes all the credit when things go right, but then blames the human when they go wrong?

BTW, you're lucky that you have a female muse. Male muses have a tendency to be psychotic. That's what started The Great Muse War, when the male muse of Tony, one of the fic writers, brutally attacked him with a keyboard. The rest of us took umbrage to the vicious assault, and the result was a full-scale war. Fortunately, a ceasefire was soon called, so there was no bloodshed -- except perhaps from Tony's head wound.

MaureenT
Site Admin

Postby AlexMcpherson on Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:57 pm

... *giggle*
Oh, wish I'd been there to see.

and yeah, my muse does that. Takes all the credit when it goes right... none of the blame when it goes wrong.
And she takes vacations. In fact I think she's one of an octuplet, each one having different tastes, and right now they're having a family reunion somewhere away from me. *sigh* Wish they would help me with my writing, but they don't. They just encourage me when i get an idea, then get frustrated when i struggle to get the idea down. Then leave altogether, leaving me there wondering.

Lately I've also gone from written to visual. I'd love to do a Stargate fan video, and i dont mean music fanvid things, i mean, me and a bunch of other 'gaters dressing up as an SG team and a few others dressing up in silly costumes, etc...

and even then not just stargate, but others too.

That's how my ideas play out in my head when i'm building a plot - hence why they are so hard to write. Written media and visual media being quite different - the former having to 'visualise' thoughts, don't get it across well, while the written can't really get you're head around certain things if you're not decent at describing something.

And yes, those octuplets are ball jealous of you for that too.
AlexMcpherson

Postby MaureenT on Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:07 pm

I have a transcript of the whole war from beginning to end, if you'd ever like to read it. Oh, by the way, I was wrong about the keyboard. That was on another occasion. The muse's weapons of choice that prompted the war were a printer cable and a scanner.

Dressing up like SG teams and doing a skit would be fun. I once did that with Star Wars (the first movie) with my nephews, turning it into a parody. Alas, it never got completed. The scene I recall the best was the reenactment of the Sandpeople ransacking Luke's speeder. When Jeff, playing the part of the Sandperson, got spooked by the sound of the monster, he was holding a teddy bear. :lol:

As for visual media, if you want to convey the thoughts of characters, the easiest way to do it is to lay down a second audio track with the voice of the character speaking the thoughts aloud. I've seen it done in movies quite a bit. With a bit of playing with the audio, you can get it to have a slightly echoing or hollow quality that can identify it as internal thoughts.

P.S. My muse goes on long vacations, too. I think that's a personality quirk of their species.

MaureenT
Site Admin

Postby Spyridon on Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:14 pm

Hmm, so Alex, if Maureen's muse is a female symbiote, what does yours look like?
Spyridon

Postby AlexMcpherson on Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:23 pm

Spyridon wrote:Hmm, so Alex, if Maureen's muse is a female symbiote, what does yours look like?

Well, mines' not a symbiote for one.
AlexMcpherson

Postby claihmsolais on Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:53 am

Actually, a Stargate skit may not be a bad idea...I'll have to put it on my list, though considering how our last Star Wars skit ended up (i.e. it ended up not having anything to do with Star Wars at all), I'm not sure it'd go any better. Maybe I'll get some ideas at DragonCon coming up this weekend, especially for my fanfic that I STILL haven't started. I still can't believe there's TWO dedicated Stargate Fanfiction panels during the con!
claihmsolais

Previous

Return to Fan Fiction Ideas and Suggestions