Preview of New Gen Fic

This forum is exclusively for posting notifications of new Gen fanfics and chapters on this site. No feedback or other replies can be posted here. If you wish to be notified whenever a new Gen fanfic or chapter has been posted, subscribe to this forum.

Preview of New Gen Fic

Postby MaureenT on Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:29 pm

This is a scene from a new story I'm working on entitled "Lingchi". Two things you need to know about this story is that it takes place near the end of Season 5, and, in this universe, Anubis is dead, having never ascended. Therefore, the events of Summit/Last Stand did not take place.

General George Hammond and the four members of SG-1 focused their attention upon the sixth person sitting at the briefing room table.

"We have received word that the System Lord Ba'al is meeting with another Goa'uld in several days to discuss an alliance," Bra'tac announced.

"An alliance?" Jack questioned. "The so-called alliance between Apophis and Heru'ru didn't work out so well for Heru'ru. Granted, we had a little bit to do with that, but the fact that Apophis had all those ships waiting in hiding kind of makes me think that he might have been planning something anyway."

"That may be true. However, occasionally, the Goa'uld do form alliances if each party believes it will benefit themselves. Most of the alliances are short-lived."

"I bet," Daniel murmured.

"Who's the other Goa'uld?" Sam asked.

"This we do not know, though word has it that it is not a System Lord."

"So, where is this little chat supposed to be taking place?" Jack asked.

"On a barren world called Afinon, which has no Stargate," Bra'tac replied. "The solar system is devoid of life and contains nothing of value to the Goa'uld, so it is an ideal place to hold such a meeting."

"What do we know about Ba'al?" Hammond questioned.

"I've done some research on most of the present System Lords," Daniel answered, "and, by all accounts, Ba'al is a pretty nasty character."

"Aren't all Goa'uld nasty characters?" Jack countered.

"Pretty much, but some are worse than others. Ba'al once wiped out the inhabitants of two star systems, sixty million people, rather than lose them to Sokar in a territorial dispute."

"Nice guy. Sounds like it's way past time for him to get his comeuppance. I wonder if we can use this meeting to do that," Jack smiled, "maybe with the help of our shiny new Al'Kesh." He paused. "Okay, so it's not exactly shiny or new, but it's new to us."

Sam smiled ever so slightly. The colonel was still crowing about the recent mission that netted them an Al'Kesh Attack Bomber. Unlike the mothership they acquired last year, this ship wasn't going to be lent out to the Tok'ra, so the SGC would have full use of it, although, since it was intel from the Tok'ra that enabled them to capture it, a case could be made that it would only be fair to use it occasionally to aid their allies on missions.

"It is likely that, due to the untrusting nature of the Goa'uld, both Ba'al and the other Goa'uld will not be permitted to bring a large fleet to the meeting," Teal'c said.

"So, they'd be in a weakened position," Jack responded.

"Yes, but even if they each bring just one mothership, that's way more than we could handle with an Al'Kesh," Sam pointed out.

"Too bad the planet doesn't have a Stargate. Then we could lob a big bomb through the gate, and that would take care of everything." Jack's face lit up. "Hey, here's an idea. How about if we blow up the sun like we did that other one?"

"If you recall, Jack, that other time resulted in us getting blown clear across the galaxy," Daniel said. "If it hadn't been for the Replicators, we'd have been stranded."

Sam had a thoughtful look on her face. "Yes, but that only happened because we were delayed in getting out of there. If we left as soon as the Stargate was launched into the sun, we'd be fine. And an Al'Kesh would be large enough to carry a Stargate in its hold. It's definitely something to think about."

"Don't you think that perhaps we should contact the Tok'ra first and find out what they know about this meeting before we blow up another sun? They also might have operatives on one of the ships that would be there."

Hammond nodded. "You are right, of course. We could not make this kind of strike without first talking to the Tok'ra."

The Tok'ra were contacted a short while later. In response, Jacob came through the gate. He was asked if the Tok'ra knew anything about the upcoming meeting between Ba'al and the unknown Goa'uld."

"We did hear about it, but I'm afraid that we don't have any more information than you do. We were thinking about getting some operatives planted to find out more about it, including the name of the other Goa'uld."

"You might want to hold off on that," Jack told Sam's father.

"Oh?"

Jacob was told about the idea to destroy the sun as they did Vorash's. This made the former general smile ever so slightly.

"You know, blowing up suns isn't exactly a habit you should get into."

"Hey, at least it doesn't cause cancer," Jack quipped.

"I'm not sure how the other Tok'ra would feel about making that kind of strike, although it would definitely be nice to get rid of Ba'al. He is one of the more powerful of the System Lords. Not only that, but he is also one of the most intelligent, very tech savvy. One of our operatives infiltrated Ba'al's forces by posing as a minor Goa'uld and was stationed in a secret stronghold of Ba'al's for several months. Before we pulled him out, Kanan was able to map out the complex and gain intelligence about all of its defenses, and, according to his report, Ba'al has been successfully experimenting with various technologies using gravity that could potentially be turned into weapons. We all agree that, sooner or later, he's probably going to become a problem."

"Well, then it sounds like now would be a good time to get rid of him so that he doesn't become a problem later on."

Jacob nodded. "All right. I'll present this to the rest of the council and see what they have to say. If they agree with the mission, and if you don't mind, I'll tag along just in case Sam needs my help," he smiled fondly at his daughter, "although I'm sure she could handle it on her own."

"Hey, you're always welcome, Jacob . . . unlike most of the other Tok'ra."

The Tok'ra High Council agreed that this might be their best opportunity to get rid of Ba'al, and Hammond gave the mission a green light. The Tok'ra immediately sent a scout ship equipped with a cloaking device to Afinon to keep an eye on things.

The next step was to select a Stargate to use. One located on an uninhabited planet was chosen, and a work crew was sent through to prepare the gate to be loaded onto the Al'Kesh. The loading process went off without a hitch, and the work crew was taken in the Al'Kesh to a nearby planet with a Stargate so that they could gate home. SG-1 and Jacob then embarked on their journey to Afinon's star system.

"So, how are we going to keep ourselves from being spotted by Ba'al's ship?" Daniel asked.

"We'll be coming out of hyperspace on the other side of the sun from Afinon," Sam explained. "We should be arriving before the Goa'uld do. We'll keep the sun between ourselves and the planet at all times, which will mask our presence. As soon as the Tok'ra in the scout ship report that Ba'al and the other Goa'uld have arrived, we'll release the Stargate into the sun."

"And let's all just hope that Ba'al isn't planning on doing the same thing that Apophis did to Heru'ur," Jack remarked. "Otherwise, we may have a lot more company than we're planning for."

"We also have to hope that the Stargate at the black hole is still operational. It's been close to a year since we dialed it last. It could have been destroyed in that time."

It took two days for the Al'Kesh to reach Afinon's star system. As soon as they arrived, they made contact with the scout ship, which reported that all was quiet.

It was the following day that two motherships arrived and approached the planet. The Tok'ra in the scout ship reported the locations of the Ha'taks, and when a lone transport ship was launched from each of the vessels, most likely carrying the two Goa'uld to their rendevous point, it was decided that the time had come to release the Stargate. A wormhole was dialed to the Stargate that was in the process of being consumed by a black hole, and the gate was sent on its way, enclosed in a protective force field.

SG-1 and Jacob watched from the bridge as the ring floated away from their ship, pulled inexorably toward the sun that would destroy it and that it, in turn, would destroy.

"Okay, it's time to get out of here," Jacob said. "The scout ship will hang around a while longer, then meet us where we can all watch the show."

Unlike what happened last time, they departed the scene without incident and flew to a location where they were close enough to get a good view of what was about to take place, but far enough away to be well out of the danger zone. It was around a half-hour later that the scout ship joined them. The Tok'ra informed them that Ba'al and the other Goa'uld were still on the planet when they left.

The minutes ticked by, the five people in the Al'Kesh keeping their eyes on the view outside. Jack was just starting to get bored when one of the pinpoints of light suddenly expanded, growing many thousands of times brighter.

"There she goes," Jacob murmured.

The light grew bright enough that the five people had to shield their eyes from the glare, then it faded away.

"So . . . we did it?" Jack asked.

"Well, the sun went nova, but we can't be sure that Ba'al and the other Goa'uld didn't leave before it did," Sam's father replied. "We'll have to wait to find that out. Hopefully, by the time we get back to Earth, the Tok'ra will know if we were successful."

When the Al'Kesh made it back to Earth, the team was greeted with the news that, according to intelligence gathered by the Tok'ra, the mission had been a complete success.

"Congratulations," Hammond said to SG-1 and Jacob.

"Thank you, sir," Jack responded.

"So, what happens now?" Daniel asked.

"Well, in regards to the Goa'uld, there will likely be a scuffle over Ba'al's territories," Jacob replied.

"If we're lucky, some of them will killed each other in the fighting, and we'll get rid of even more snakes," Jack remarked.

As they left the briefing room, Jack announced, "I'm in the mood to celebrate. How about we all go to my place for pizza and beer?"

"Sounds good, sir," Sam replied.

Jack turned to the Tok'ra in their midst. "Jacob? You're welcome to join us."

"Thanks, but I need to get back to the base. We'll be busy monitoring the situation and seeing how everything turns out."

"So, who do you think will end up getting Ba'al's territories?" Daniel asked.

"That's hard to say, although Lord Yu is in the best position to take advantage of the sudden vacancy."

That evening, SG-1 gathered at Jack's place.

"Score two more dead snakes," the colonel said with a smile as he and his teammates sat in his living room, their stomachs full of pizza and beer bottles in their hands, except for Teal'c, of course, who held a glass of juice.

"I can't believe we managed to pull that off without a hitch," Sam commented. "Things usually don't go that smoothly."

"Well, maybe our luck is changing. It's about time that things really started going our way." Jack looked over at Daniel, who was frowning down at his beer. "Daniel? How come you don't look so happy that we got rid of two more Goa'uld?"

Daniel blinked and looked at him. "What? Oh. No, I'm happy, although I really didn't have anything to do with it. I was just along for the ride."

"Well, if you look at it like that, so was I. But we were all there as a team. It was SG-1 that did this, and you're a part of SG-1. Right?"

Daniel paused before answering. "Right."

SG-1 hadn't been at work for long the next day when there was an unscheduled incoming wormhole, which turned out to be a call from the Tok'ra. It was Jacob who came through the gate. He gathered with Hammond and SG-1 in the briefing room.

"I'm afraid that I have some news," the Tok'ra said. "Some new information has come to light about the meeting."

"Oh, don't tell us," Jack groaned. "Ba'al escaped after all."

"No, it's been confirmed that he's dead. This is about the Goa'uld he was meeting. We found out who it was."

"Who?" Jack asked, wondering about the somber expression on the former general's face.

Jacob turned to Daniel. "I'm really sorry to be the one to have to tell you this, Daniel. It was Osiris."
Dr. Markov: If you're implying that everything Russian-made is poor quality, actually the sub is Swiss.
Daniel: So they occasionally catch fire, but they keep perfect time? Sorry. I think I've been hanging around Jack O'Neill too much.

-- From the Stargate SG-1 episode "Watergate."
MaureenT
Site Admin

Return to Gen Fan Fiction Notices