What I have been doing lately

This forum is mainly for talking about things that have nothing to do with Stargate, fan fiction or this Web site, but don't worry if your posts also have something about those things, too. That's fine! This is an open forum, which means that you're free to let your conversations wander. Please do come here and introduce yourself.

What I have been doing lately

Postby MaureenT on Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:31 pm

Yep, I am still alive and kicking, but, alas, my fanfic muse is still MIA. I do still have high hopes that she'll return one of these days. In the meantime, I've been working on a few stories that I can actually sell -- when I get them done, that is. I mentioned a while ago about the sci-fi novel I was working on, but I'm also working on two novellas. I plan on self-publishing all three of them as e-books and possibly in print form as well. I've even got cover art completed for the two novellas.

Anyway, I thought I'd share with you some info about each of the three stories.

The Tale of My Unexpected Introduction in Time-Traveling (Working Title)

Michael Greyson thought it was going to be just another day at the office, but that was before a beautiful woman claiming to be from the future suddenly entered his life and told him that he was the only person who could save the planet from destruction. Oh, yes, and there were a bunch of nasty people who would do everything in their power to kill him before he could succeed.

Thus is Michael launched headlong into an adventure he is ill-prepared for as he and the time-traveling heroine struggle to prevent a catastrophe that will wipe out virtually all life on Earth. In the process, Michael discovers the truth about his mysterious past and the strange ability he has possessed all his life.

The Tale of My Unexpected Introduction in Time-Traveling is a mixture of tongue-in-cheek humor, suspense, adventure, and romance. Follow the irreverent Michael Greyson as he struggles to adapt to the new reality of his life and stay alive long enough to save the planet – all while trying to maintain his sense of humor.

This is a full length science fiction novel. It's about two-thirds finished, but I've run into a road block on the plot, which I'm struggling to get around. I may come to you guys asking for ideas on how to resolve the problem. Quite some time ago I posted a small part of this story here, but it has undergone a great deal of revisions since then that have tightened and improved it immensely.

Ring of Wishes

All who possess it desire to keep it . . . and therein lay their doom.

Throughout the ages, the ring had passed from owner to owner. It gifted to each one the ability to achieve all they desired simply by wishing for it. Great wealth? It was theirs. Power and prestige? They need only ask for it. Most of the ring's owners would do anything to keep it: lie, cheat, steal, even kill.

Yet the ring was also cursed by the one who created it centuries ago. The curse states that everyone who uses the ring will ultimately be destroyed by the very things it gives to them until the day that the one who discovers the true secret of its power becomes its master.

Matthew Taylor had purchased the metal detector on a whim. He really didn't expect it to find enough of value to even pay for itself. But that was before he found the ring. He could tell that it was old, but neither of the antique dealers he showed it to were able to deduce its origins. Strangely, though, both of them seemed very eager to purchase it. Matthew wasn't ready to sell it yet and decided to do a bit of research on it instead.

With that decision, Matthew is launched into a frightening and deadly adventure as he discovers the power of the ring and finds out that there are people who will stop at nothing to possess it. And, even if he manages to keep it out of their hands, will he escape the deadly curse . . . or be its next victim?

This is an urban fantasy novella. Unfortunately, I've temporarily stalled out on it.

From the Ashes

As a child, Beth loved the tales of magical, mythical creatures, imagining that, one day, she'd meet one. With adulthood, however, came the knowledge that all of those creatures really were just myths. Little did she know that the day would come when her childhood dream would come true.

Falon was the last of his kind, the sole surviving member of a proud race that once ruled the skies and commanded the power of fire. For many decades he had been alone, watching all those he cared about succumb to death. He had given up on love, no longer able to bear the heartbreak of seeing the women he loved grow old and die as he remained forever young.

But then the day came when he met Elizabeth Fay, and, against his will, he felt love stirring once again in his heart. But was that love doomed to end the same way all the others had or was there a way that Falon and Beth could be together forever? And what will happen when a ruthless man who knows what Falon is seeks to gain Falon’s power and immortality for himself?

This one is a paranormal romance novella. It's the story I'm presently working on. As you may have guessed from the cover art, it has nothing to do with either vampires or werewolves. :D

So there you have it. As each of these is completed, I may be looking for someone to beta read it. Any interested parties? ;)
MaureenT
Site Admin

Re: What I have been doing lately

Postby Stormwing on Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:55 am

Hello there :D

It's nice to know you are still here, dang those muses and their fickle fickle ways. Mine returned for a brief stint a week or so ago just to tease me I think, horrid little creature that she is gave me this brilliant story and than ran off again 3 chapters in.

The Tale of My Unexpected Introduction in Time Traveling

XD bit of the mouthful there but I've seen longer.
While time travel itself and all it paradoxes tend to turn me around in circles I love reading Si-fi and romances, any help I can offer you to get past the block is yours :)

Ring of Wishes

This one sounds intriguing, sort of like a jinn or genie tale where you should always be careful of what you wish for. But since the outcome for those stories is usually setting the person free with a wish (being in itself a selfless act thus breaking the curse) I'm actually curious as how you would go about doing this with an inanimate object.

From the Ashes

I'll hold back the squeals cause they can be quite loud, but I love paranormal stories!! I especially like the Urban fantasies, the way old myths are integrated into modern settings and how they are handled are always interesting. the cover art for this is very well done.

I don't know about beta reading since I tend to think everything is a great idea but I sometimes have good ideas that might help, so like I said before anything I can do to help is yours.

Good Luck with your books M, :)
Do I exist if you can not see me?
Stormwing

Postby MaureenT on Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:54 am

Stormwing wrote:Hello there :D

It's nice to know you are still here, dang those muses and their fickle fickle ways. Mine returned for a brief stint a week or so ago just to tease me I think, horrid little creature that she is gave me this brilliant story and than ran off again 3 chapters in.

Yeah, been there, done that. Or, rather, I should say that my muse has done that. Many years ago, I fired my old muse for being unreliable and hired this one I have now through an ad in The Muse Times. Unfortunately, she's no better than the previous one, but I'm not sure if sacking her and trying to find another will do any good. These creatures simply do not have a good work ethic. I wonder if it has something to do with their upbringing.

Stormwing wrote:The Tale of My Unexpected Introduction in Time Traveling

XD bit of the mouthful there but I've seen longer.
While time travel itself and all it paradoxes tend to turn me around in circles I love reading Si-fi and romances, any help I can offer you to get past the block is yours :)

Yes, it is a long title, although I too have seen longer, much longer, in fact. You're right about time travel. I've had to make numerous changes to the story because I realized that the way I had something happen would cause unwanted issues. As for the paradoxes, in a story like this, there is no way to get around them, unless you go with the theory that a new universe would be created at the moment of the paradox, the old universe continuing as before and the new one having the changed history. I'm choosing not to go that route, but I'm not entirely ignoring the paradox issue. And, unlike certain Stargate time travel stories that shall remain nameless, I'm doing all I can not to screw up.

As for the block, I've sort of gotten my hero into a situation that I don't know how I can resolve. The resolution is paramount to the story, but I'm failing to come up with an answer. Once I can get past that, I think it'll be smooth sailing from there on.

Stormwing wrote:Ring of Wishes

This one sounds intriguing, sort of like a jinn or genie tale where you should always be careful of what you wish for. But since the outcome for those stories is usually setting the person free with a wish (being in itself a selfless act thus breaking the curse) I'm actually curious as how you would go about doing this with an inanimate object.

The nice thing about fantasies is that, as long as you don't go so far that you destroy the reader's suspension of disbelief, you can get away with quite a lot. Though the ring is an inanimate object, the person who cursed it was not and, for lack of a better term, "wrote" into the curse a little clause that might be the only way the hero can get out of this fix. The thing is, though, that it's up to him to figure out exactly what that clause is, and that's the tricky part. >;-D

Stormwing wrote:From the Ashes

I'll hold back the squeals cause they can be quite loud, but I love paranormal stories!! I especially like the Urban fantasies, the way old myths are integrated into modern settings and how they are handled are always interesting. the cover art for this is very well done.

Since getting my Kindle, I've been doing a lot of reading, and the first thing I went for was fantasy, which is my favorite genre. I tend to gravitate toward stuff set in the past or on other worlds that are technologically primitive (swords, bows and arrows, etc.) That whole swords and sorcery stuff, you know. :D I do, however, also enjoy some urban fantasy, and stories that mix both are great. After a while, I gravitated toward paranormal romance stories. For anyone reading this who does not know what that is, it's a romance story in which one or both of the people is either not human or has some kind of paranormal ability that is important to the story. The Twilight Saga is a paranormal romance. I've read some pretty good ones, though one in particular stands above the others. If you're interested in perhaps reading it, send me a private message, and I'll give you the book's title and a link to it on Amazon.com. By the way, you don't have to have a Kindle to read Kindle books. There are smartphone apps, as well as a program you can download onto your computer.

Anyway, the vast majority of paranormal romances involve vampires or werewolves, and I'm not really into either of those creatures, although I recently read a good story in which the woman was a werewolf, and the guy belonged to a species on his mother's side that drank blood but was not a traditional vampire. There are also angel stories, demon stories, and a few dragon stories.

I enjoy writing stories that are different from the norm, and I have yet to find a story that revolves around the mythical creature that my hero in this tale is. As you may have guessed from the blurb I posted, the story has a generous helping of angst, which all of you know I do so well. :D

Thanks for the comment on the cover art. I like how it came out. I had to give the guy on the cover completely new hair. He had straight black hair, and Falon has curly red-gold hair that would turn almost any woman green with envy. |-D

Stormwing wrote:I don't know about beta reading since I tend to think everything is a great idea but I sometimes have good ideas that might help, so like I said before anything I can do to help is yours.

Well, one of the things I need more than anything else is proofreading. An author should never proofread their own stories, something I prove time and time again when I miss mistakes that I should have seen. I figure if I have two or three people go through the story looking for boo boos, I should be okay. As for everything else, I'm mostly looking for people to point out plot problems, character issues, and ways that something in the story might work better. I don't want a line by line, paragraph by paragraph breakdown. I found a writer's forum online that has an area where you can post portions of your story for advice, and many of the people giving advice are way too focused on tiny details, pretty much ripping a story into itty bitty pieces and pointing out the problems with each piece.

Stormwing wrote:Good Luck with your books M, :)

Thanks. Though I have wanted to be a published author for a long time, it was one of those dreams that I figured might never come true, especially considering how hard it is for a "new" author to find a publisher willing to publish their book. Amazon.com changes all that with their self-publishing program, and if you go with doing it only as an e-book, it is super easy and doesn't cost a dime. That means that all those aspiring authors out there who thought they'd never have a chance to publish their works can now do so, and considering how many good stories I've been reading from unknown authors, that's a wonderful thing.
MaureenT
Site Admin

Postby DizzyDrea on Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:05 pm

Well, I'm glad to see that you've been able to still write, despite the fanfic Muse going missing. My muse crawled under the bed a couple of weeks ago, and I kinda freaked out! I'd been averaging about 8-10k words a week (part of my goal for 2012, to develop a consistent writing habit), and suddenly I wrote less that 2k in a week. I think my problem was that I hadn't paced myself very well. I finished a 25k project for one of my fandoms, and then had nothing else planned. So, Muse thought that was as good a time as any to take a break. Needless to say, I won't be doing that again.

These stories all sound quite interesting. They're all so different, and yet the thread that ties them all together is, of course, your love of science fiction and the realm of the possible. I'm always fascinated by the ways in which writers come up with ideas, and how each of us can take a simple idea and turn it into something completely different. I'll be interested to see how the final product looks.

I've read recently about more people self-publishing e-books, which is easy enough to do with Amazon. And with just a little judiciously spent money advertising through banner ads and on websites geared toward your target audience, you really don't need a traditional publisher. Better for you because you can get your product out there, and then if you catch on, the publishers may just knock your door down.

MaureenT wrote:Well, one of the things I need more than anything else is proofreading. An author should never proofread their own stories, something I prove time and time again when I miss mistakes that I should have seen. I figure if I have two or three people go through the story looking for boo boos, I should be okay. As for everything else, I'm mostly looking for people to point out plot problems, character issues, and ways that something in the story might work better. I don't want a line by line, paragraph by paragraph breakdown. I found a writer's forum online that has an area where you can post portions of your story for advice, and many of the people giving advice are way too focused on tiny details, pretty much ripping a story into itty bitty pieces and pointing out the problems with each piece.

If you're looking for a beta, I'll happily volunteer. I've been doing it lately for a friend of mine, and I find that I enjoy it. Spelling, grammar and punctuation are particular pet peeves of mine, and it always drives me nuts when I find a mistake in someone else's work, not to mention when I find it in one of my own. As for the rest, I can see how it would be frustrating for you to offer up your work for critique and feel as though they're trying to tear you down with their nitpicking. That's not how beta reading should work; a beta should be working with the writer to make the story better, not tearing it apart. So, if you need a beta, please feel free to call on me. I'd be glad to offer any help I can.

And if you need someone to bounce ideas off, to get past the roadblock you've encountered, I'd be happy to help there, too. Writing yourself into a corner is never fun, but there's always a way out. It's just that sometimes it takes a fresh set of eyes to find it.

In the meantime, good luck to you! It excites me to know that you're getting so close to your dream. It's a dream of mine, too, but you're much closer than I am at this point.
To imagine is everything; to know is nothing at all.
~Anais Nin
DizzyDrea

Postby MaureenT on Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:14 pm

DizzyDrea wrote:These stories all sound quite interesting. They're all so different, and yet the thread that ties them all together is, of course, your love of science fiction and the realm of the possible. I'm always fascinated by the ways in which writers come up with ideas, and how each of us can take a simple idea and turn it into something completely different. I'll be interested to see how the final product looks.

Thanks. Yes, they do all have a science fiction/fantasy element, which will always be my preferred genres to write. I think of all the ways that I've come up with story ideas, the one that surprises me the most is when an idea appears right out of the blue, just suddenly popping into my head. Sometimes, I wonder where the heck it came from.

DizzyDrea wrote:I've read recently about more people self-publishing e-books, which is easy enough to do with Amazon. And with just a little judiciously spent money advertising through banner ads and on websites geared toward your target audience, you really don't need a traditional publisher. Better for you because you can get your product out there, and then if you catch on, the publishers may just knock your door down.

Yes, e-book self-publishing has really opened the door for previously unpublished authors. And the thing is that, once you are published, you've got that to put on your "resume" if you ever choose to try getting published through a traditional book publisher.

DizzyDrea wrote:If you're looking for a beta, I'll happily volunteer. I've been doing it lately for a friend of mine, and I find that I enjoy it. Spelling, grammar and punctuation are particular pet peeves of mine, and it always drives me nuts when I find a mistake in someone else's work, not to mention when I find it in one of my own. As for the rest, I can see how it would be frustrating for you to offer up your work for critique and feel as though they're trying to tear you down with their nitpicking. That's not how beta reading should work; a beta should be working with the writer to make the story better, not tearing it apart. So, if you need a beta, please feel free to call on me. I'd be glad to offer any help I can.

It would be great to have someone read them who has an eye for catching errors. Like you, it bugs me when I find them in other people's stuff, although I've been developing a bit more of a thick skin regarding that. There are still certain errors, though, that drive me crazy, especially when they are constantly repeated. Tell me. Have you noticed that sentence fragments and failing to separate two independent clauses with a comma are appallingly common? So is putting a comma between an independent and dependent clause. Actually, improper punctuation is the number one mistake people make.

Of course, I hate it when I find errors in my own stuff. No matter how many times I read back over a story or chapter before posting it, I still miss boo boos, only to be found months (or years) later when I reread the story. If you ever find errors in any of my stuff, please, please tell me. I know you have occasionally, but don't be shy about reporting every one you find. You can always PM them to me instead of posting them here.

DizzyDrea wrote:And if you need someone to bounce ideas off, to get past the roadblock you've encountered, I'd be happy to help there, too. Writing yourself into a corner is never fun, but there's always a way out. It's just that sometimes it takes a fresh set of eyes to find it.

Thanks. Yes, I have well and truly written myself into a corner with the time travel novel. I'd have to give you all of what I've written so far in order for you to understand what's going on. If you're interested, you'll have to let me know what file formats you can read. The book is being written in Corel WordPerfect, which, unfortunately does not convert to MS Word without messing up, but I could probably save it as a PDF file.

DizzyDrea wrote:In the meantime, good luck to you! It excites me to know that you're getting so close to your dream. It's a dream of mine, too, but you're much closer than I am at this point.

And thanks again. :)
Dr. Markov: If you're implying that everything Russian-made is poor quality, actually the sub is Swiss.
Daniel: So they occasionally catch fire, but they keep perfect time? Sorry. I think I've been hanging around Jack O'Neill too much.

-- From the Stargate SG-1 episode "Watergate."
MaureenT
Site Admin

Postby DizzyDrea on Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:13 pm

MaureenT wrote:Like you, it bugs me when I find them in other people's stuff, although I've been developing a bit more of a thick skin regarding that. There are still certain errors, though, that drive me crazy, especially when they are constantly repeated. Tell me. Have you noticed that sentence fragments and failing to separate two independent clauses with a comma are appallingly common? So is putting a comma between an independent and dependent clause. Actually, improper punctuation is the number one mistake people make.

Yeah, I've been trying to work on looking at the punctuation less and the story more. If a story is really engaging, I can overlook badly constructed sentences and poor punctuation. But, I'd rather not have to if I don't have to, you know? I have a friend that hates commas. Most of the time, it's fine that she omits them, but every once in a while I have to call her on it because they exist for a reason.

MaureenT wrote:If you ever find errors in any of my stuff, please, please tell me. I know you have occasionally, but don't be shy about reporting every one you find.

Be careful what you wish for! But...knowing that you're open to being corrected, I'll make sure I point out any grammatical errors I come across.

MaureenT wrote:Yes, I have well and truly written myself into a corner with the time travel novel. I'd have to give you all of what I've written so far in order for you to understand what's going on. If you're interested, you'll have to let me know what file formats you can read. The book is being written in Corel WordPerfect, which, unfortunately does not convert to MS Word without messing up, but I could probably save it as a PDF file.

A PDF would work fine for me. I use Word, and I know what it does to formatted text only too well. Acrobat has the added advantage that it allows notes and markup, so if I need to, I can make notes as I go. If you have an idea of where you want the story to end up, it would probably be helpful to know that, too. That way I don't suggest anything that would send you in the wrong direction. And, if you have a deadline, that'd be helpful too.That way I'll know how to budget my time.
To imagine is everything; to know is nothing at all.
~Anais Nin
DizzyDrea

Postby MaureenT on Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:40 pm

DizzyDrea wrote:Be careful what you wish for! But...knowing that you're open to being corrected, I'll make sure I point out any grammatical errors I come across.

It just frustrates the heck out of me when I read one of my stories many months later and find a ton of errors. The punctuation errors don't bug me so much since I know that occasionally having an incorrectly placed comma -- or not having one that should be there -- is an easy mistake to make. It's the stuff like missing words, incorrect words, and other such things that make me sigh in irritation. So trust me when I say that you'll be doing me a favor if you point them out. Just don't say anything about ending a sentence with a preposition. I tried to completely eliminate that (except in dialogue) and ended up with sentences that sounded unnatural or too formal. Besides, that "rule" is no longer considered sacrosanct by many experts -- despite Jack O'Neill's objections to doing it. Bra'tac, however, apparently agrees since he's done it himself. :D

DizzyDrea wrote:A PDF would work fine for me. I use Word, and I know what it does to formatted text only too well. Acrobat has the added advantage that it allows notes and markup, so if I need to, I can make notes as I go. If you have an idea of where you want the story to end up, it would probably be helpful to know that, too. That way I don't suggest anything that would send you in the wrong direction. And, if you have a deadline, that'd be helpful too.That way I'll know how to budget my time.

I have no deadline, so you can take as long as you need to. I am presently going back through what I have written, checking for mistakes (grrrr!) and doing little revisions. As soon as I'm done, I'll send it to you in a PDF with an explanation of my problem and some info you may need.
Dr. Markov: If you're implying that everything Russian-made is poor quality, actually the sub is Swiss.
Daniel: So they occasionally catch fire, but they keep perfect time? Sorry. I think I've been hanging around Jack O'Neill too much.

MaureenT
Site Admin

Postby Stormwing on Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:14 pm

If you're up for a second helper I don't mind lending my eyes XD errors are one of those annoying things your brain tries to work around on it own when its your own work, because it knows what should be there so it just fills in the blanks without informing your fingers. I once had to read a sentence 3 times just because it was missing one critical word and one letter from another that caused the whole thing to mean something totally different. :doh:

I only have adobe reader though. not sure if that might work, either way I wish you luck :)
Stormwing

Postby MaureenT on Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:33 am

Sorry for not replying sooner. I've been writing like a madwoman these past few days. The muse just wouldn't let up.

Stormwing wrote:If you're up for a second helper I don't mind lending my eyes XD errors are one of those annoying things your brain tries to work around on it own when its your own work, because it knows what should be there so it just fills in the blanks without informing your fingers. I once had to read a sentence 3 times just because it was missing one critical word and one letter from another that caused the whole thing to mean something totally different. :doh:

Yep, that's exactly it. Your brain knows what a sentence is supposed to say, so that's what you see, not what's really there.

Right now, I don't need proofreading. That's something I'll want once each of these stories is complete, or at least when the first draft is. But when the time comes, I'll definitely let you know. Thanks.

By the way, I've come to the conclusion that "From the Ashes" is going to make it to novel length.

MaureenT
Site Admin

Postby Spyridon on Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:38 pm

MaureenT wrote:By the way, I've come to the conclusion that "From the Ashes" is going to make it to novel length.

Oh, goodie! Out of all of the stories you have summaries up for, I think that one has caught my attention the most. I like fantasy too, though, it's been quite a while. I think the last fantasy book I read was one from Brian Jacques' series 'Redwall'. Need to catch up on that. Now I have another book to add to my growing list of books to add to my shelves.

MaureenT wrote:Have you noticed that sentence fragments and failing to separate two independent clauses with a comma are appallingly common? So is putting a comma between an independent and dependent clause. Actually, improper punctuation is the number one mistake people make.

:oops: So guilty of that one. Sometimes, I'll read something of mine for like 10 times. Later, I'll reread it to remind myself of what's going on and then I'll catch something so obvious, I want to hit myself on the desk. With commas and the other grammar mistakes, my English classes never really covered that when I was young. A professor in college later had us buy a book that explained everything.

Then my sister lost it after I let her borrow it.

\o/ Can't wait for the book to come out.
Spyridon

Postby MaureenT on Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:17 pm

Spyridon wrote::oops: So guilty of that one. Sometimes, I'll read something of mine for like 10 times. Later, I'll reread it to remind myself of what's going on and then I'll catch something so obvious, I want to hit myself on the desk.

Been there, done that, so many times that it's embarrassing.

Spyridon wrote:With commas and the other grammar mistakes, my English classes never really covered that when I was young. A professor in college later had us buy a book that explained everything.

Then my sister lost it after I let her borrow it.

Yes, I do blame a lot of improper punctuation on what they teach in class these days (or, rather, don't teach). Do they expect kids to somehow learn on their own later on or do they just think it doesn't matter? When I was in 2nd grade, my teacher had us students completing 6 to 8 two-sided legal-size sheets of full of grammatical questions every day! Most of my homework was finishing them because it was impossible to get them done during the allotted time at school. And that was in 2nd grade! He was going overboard in grammar, but you still get the idea on how much more it was focused on back then. My 5th grade teacher had us write a fiction story every week, which was graded like any other paper for grammar and spelling, plus for story quality. That was my introduction into creative writing. I always got A and A+. :D

Spyridon wrote:\o/ Can't wait for the book to come out.

Well, you might not have to wait all that long. I've been writing like a fiend recently. I was at it the entire weekend, and the story is almost done. I have perhaps a couple thousand words left to write, a bit more if I decide to expand on some stuff, so it's within a couple of days of being finished. Of course, that's what you'd call the first draft. Then comes going back over it with a fine-tooth comb for tweaking. I'll be reading it to my "audio beta," a friend and fellow Stargate fanfic author to whom I read all of my stuff over the phone. Once I think it's ready, I'll give it to DizzyDrea for her eagle-eye on errors and any suggestions she might have. :D After that, you and others here who have been loyal readers and reviewers of my fanfics over the years will get to read it. That's the least I can do to say thank you (although I certainly wouldn't complain if you also bought an "official" copy at Amazon.com. ;) It'll be cheap. Since I'm a new author there and it's not a long novel, I'll have to keep the price low.

MaureenT
Site Admin

Postby Alicorn on Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:18 am

Hello!

I am glad that you're still alive. :) I am not very good with grammar but I am very good at noticing mis-spelling all the time. One of my pet peeves are "your" and "you're". There are two different things when it suppose to be "you're" but people still use "your". I find that the most annoying thing ever! One nicest advantage is that I am deaf and that I don't depend on hearing word with spelling. I depend on visual of the word that paint picture in my mind. When I see mis-spelling then it will destory the picture in my mind. I did correct your mis-spelling few times when you posted stories of Stargate. I am here if you want me just to notice the mis-spelling. That's what I am really good at. :)

Looking forward to read your stories. All looks sooo good!!!
Alicorn
Alicorn

Postby MaureenT on Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:44 pm

Alicorn wrote:Hello!

I am glad that you're still alive. :) I am not very good with grammar but I am very good at noticing mis-spelling all the time. One of my pet peeves are "your" and "you're". There are two different things when it suppose to be "you're" but people still use "your". I find that the most annoying thing ever! One nicest advantage is that I am deaf and that I don't depend on hearing word with spelling. I depend on visual of the word that paint picture in my mind. When I see mis-spelling then it will destory the picture in my mind. I did correct your mis-spelling few times when you posted stories of Stargate. I am here if you want me just to notice the mis-spelling. That's what I am really good at. :)

Looking forward to read your stories. All looks sooo good!!!
Alicorn

Thanks for the offer. There have been times when I accidentally used "your" instead of "you're" and vice versa, not because I don't know which one to use, but just by accident. The same goes for "their," "there" and "they're". Also, "here" and "hear." I usually catch it when I read back through the chapter, but, sometimes, it slips by me. :P

I'll take this opportunity for another update. The first draft of From the Ashes was completed a while back, and I'm now in the process going over it with my "audio beta." I read around 2/3 of it to her Friday before last, and the rest will be read on Wednesday. Once I'm satisfied with it, I'll send it on to whomever has the time to proofread it and give their overall thoughts. As it stands now, it's a bit over 51,000 words, not a long novel but comfortably within the word count that is considered a novel (40,000 words and up).

Regarding my time travel sci-fi novel, I finally got out of the corner I'd written myself into. In fact, I've been writing like crazy on it the past several days, and I'm now very close to completing the first draft, although there is something earlier in the story that I have to find out some information on, which could delay things. The only place I can hope to get the specific info I need is a message board about Egypt that I found. I can only hope there's someone there who can answer the questions. This novel is going to be right around 100,000 words.

So I have not one but two novels that are approaching completion. I'm very excited. :happydance:

MaureenT
Site Admin

Postby Stormwing on Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:10 pm

whoo! nice work :D

glad to hear you've almost completed one and managed to write yourself out of the corner (some of the best writing appears on a wall :P) of the other. :D
Stormwing

Postby Alicorn on Fri May 04, 2012 6:25 am

That's awesome \o/ that you're almost done with your novels!! I can't wait to read them! :)

I know what you mean by mis-typo. It happens to me all the time. I'm gulit of that too! I even re-read it and I should notice my own mistakes but my teacher tends to caught it. After that, I made sure one of my friend or family to proof-read it for me. I hate when that happens!

Best for me to read is nights and weekends. If I am lucky, I can read during work if there is nothing else for me to do. :D

I love to read! Looking forward to it! :)
Alicorn

Next

Return to Open Forum