Spyridon's Fic Recs UPDATED 05/05/12

Have you read a Gen or Daniel/Sam fanfic by another author that you'd like to recommend? Are you trying to find out the name of a story you once read? Post a message here. Note: This forum is NOT for authors to post notices about their own stories.

Spyridon's Fic Recs UPDATED 05/05/12

Postby Spyridon on Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:28 am

My full list of recommended stories, spanning a wider variety of Daniel/other pairings can be found at my Livejournal. To reiterate, reader discretion is advised as you shuffle through.

Below are some recs that I pulled from the longer list as they directly fit the rules on this site.

beebee:
A Blip in the System - A blip in the hiring system at the SGC begans a cascade of events for two members of SG-1, that just might result in one of them not making it out alive.

Brionhet:
Choose Your Battles - The new SG-3 has a few difficult rough edges, and the general figures SG-1 is just the team to polish them away.

Cesar:
SG13 The Suicide Squad
First in series. Prisoners form SG-13, the lives of the members of SG-1 and the SGC will never be the same again. Characters from JAG and West Wing appear.
The Star Gate Murders
A serial killer is killing those who work at the SGC. Can Sam and her long lost twin brother save the day? Can Sam survive seeing her twin after 15 years?
The Guardian Angel
Thirty years ago the son of General Hammond disappeared. Thirty years later Michael Hammond reappears from the shadows. Can the Hammonds survive the reunion.

Diedre:
Sa'akhu - Daniel has some Ninjitsu training in this one and is asked to help to bring down a hiding Goa'uld who has mind control abilities. Catch is, his team thinks he's under the control of said Goa'uld.

ELG:
Reflection - Jack is forced to re-examine his relationship with Daniel after the two of them travel to an AU where a very different Jack O'Neill is in charge of SG-1.

ETS:
Breaking the Curse - Daniel goes on a mission with SG-11 to prove that every he goes on with another team doesn't end in catastrophe.

Lady Grey:
The Day and Night Series:
A Day in the Life of: SG-1 - A day in the life of SG-1-- Teal'c's birthday -- seen through the eyes of all four members of the team. On the eve of the opening of a major SGC memorial, the team reflects on their strengths and weaknesses, while one of them struggles with a burden too great to carry alone.
Night Watch - Following the opening of a major SGC memorial, Daniel struggles with his dual identity as the Man in Black and risks his life to shed that alter-ego.

Nancy Richardson:
Time - Oh yeah. This one was another tear jerker for me. Daniel splits for a time from the SGC to find his path after a volatile confrontation with Jack.

Redbyrd:
Perfomance Review - Post-Episode one shots for 'Prometheus Unbound'. Basically, what did Jack have to say after Daniel gets kidnapped and beaten up by a female space pirate? It ain't pretty but it's sure as hell funny. :lol: Especially when he sends DJ and SG-3 off on some exercises to get them back up to high performance levels again by training new recruits. :twisted: The link to Training Exercises is at the end.
Rearranging Fate - What happened to the alternate Charlie and Sam after the quantum mirror was destroyed by our SG-1? How did it affect other people's lives and the events thereafter? Naive Daniel meets military Jack in this one.
Damage Control - Daniel? A liar? Say it ain't so! Well, then again it's Steven Raynor he's dealing with so it doesn't really count. An add on scene to "The Curse".

Tiv'ester
The Battle Royal - Daniel returns to Abydos to find danger lurking around every corner. Political uprisings, uneasy alliances and an enemy from the past are only the beginning of the troubles he faces as he, Kasuf, Skaara, Hammond and SG-1 fight to survive.
The Conspiracy Series - (WIP) Want backstabbing? Double dealing? Treason? Daniel with a snake in his head? Then come read this series as it has all of them and more. Plus, it has a whole lot of Jack/Daniel banter. For me this story is on par with Maureen's stories just pure gen. WARNING- LONG A** STORIES BUT THEY ARE WORTH IT.
Listen When the Heart Speaks
Soldiers Follow Orders, But-
A Permanent Condition
Moving on Up - He he, Jack wasn't the only one who got promoted. Who was exactly the second in command during the thing with Weir and became the official 2IC of the SGC when Jack took over?
Rumors - After reading this story, my view of 'Heroes' changed dramatically. Read this and you'll understand why. Focused on Sam's actions.
The Caduceus Circle - The SGC plans to hold a training exercise for alliance between Earth, the Jaffa, and the Tok'ra when things go horribly wrong for Daniel and his small band of scientists and natives.

Zorb:
Any Day in November - What happens if what you thought happened didn't really happened due to extraterrestrial forces? Daniel comes face to face with his thought to be dead parents but are they really his parents?
Last edited by Spyridon on Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:12 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Spyridon

Re: A couple of Gen fics I recommend

Postby PRT on Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:55 pm

I love Any Day in November!

It's a great fic and has some really good Sam-Daniel interaction.
PRT

Postby Spyridon on Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:31 pm

I kind of wished that author had taken up a sequel, you know. What would have happened when they found out Daniel was MIA during Reckoning and Threads? And imagine their faces when Vala joined SG-1 with her fawning over Daniel! :lol:
Spyridon

Postby ivetochka on Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:54 am

Sa'akhu was amazing!! Thanks for recommending it :)
ivetochka

Re: A couple of Gen fics I recommend- Updated 12/10

Postby Spyridon on Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:17 pm

You're welcome. I contacted the author a LONG time ago and he said once he had a good plot for a sequel, then he would update it. I'm still waiting.

Here's some more I recommend.

ADDED TO FIRST POST
Last edited by Spyridon on Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spyridon

Postby MaureenT on Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:24 pm

This reply has a few spoilers for the fics mentioned, so if you haven't read them and don't want to be spoiled, read no further.

I loved "Training Exercises" and the whole "The archeologist is not harmless!" thing. :lol: Daniel really took advantage of the fact that many marines and other members of the military tend to view him as a harmless civilian.

Is "Rearranging Fate" the story in which it turned out that the AU Jack wasn't dead after all? If I recall, I had an issue with that because they didn't explain how it was that Jack was alive when, in the episode, it sounded like there could be no doubt of his death.

If "Rumors" is the story I'm thinking of, it is so blatantly anti-Sam that it leaves no doubt about how the author feels about the character. It also isn't backed up by any evidence in the episode. In fact, my personal belief is that the Jaffa who shot Janet was the one Jack foolishly broke cover to go after. That was not a bright move, and he should have known better. If he didn't think he could shoot the Jaffa from where he was, he should have called to someone who was in a better position to get the guy. I covered this in my story "A Little Talk with Myself".

It wasn't Sam running to Jack after he was shot that was the problem in that scene. It was the fact that she just hovered over him like she did. In a firefight, it is common (and often expected) for military people to run to the aid of a downed comrade and pull them out of the line of fire. If she had done that, her actions would have been proper and laudable. But, instead, she just knelt there for several seconds. She's lucky that she didn't get hit, too. Even so, Sam being responsible in any way for Janet's death is only in the imagination of that author. In the "real" Stargate universe, it's not true.

Sorry if I was ranting a bit, but I despised that story and the major anti-Sam tone of it. Few Stargate stories I've read have really tick me off, but that's one of them. My apologies if "Rumors" is not the story I think it is.
Dr. Markov: If you're implying that everything Russian-made is poor quality, actually the sub is Swiss.
Daniel: So they occasionally catch fire, but they keep perfect time? Sorry. I think I've been hanging around Jack O'Neill too much.

-- From the Stargate SG-1 episode "Watergate."
MaureenT
Site Admin

Postby Spyridon on Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:11 pm

I have to agree with you there. That story was anti-Sam a lot. But appearances can be deceiving. In fact, Tiv is more of SG-1 gen type of person. I'd act just like Sam if I saw my friend go down.

Training Exercises was funny. Who hoo. I can actually imagine that going on. Got to love a kick a** Daniel once in a while.

As for "Rearranging Fate", I think he was healed by the Asgard. Kind of read it in there somewhere.

Have you've been able to read the monster long stories yet? I heard that the 4th story is going to be a double monster for him/her. They were working on it but that was about a year and a half ago so in truth, I don't think it will be coming out anytime soon.

Here's another gen fic I recommend:

ADDED TO FIRST POST
Last edited by Spyridon on Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spyridon

Postby MaureenT on Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:39 pm

Spyridon wrote:Have you've been able to read the monster long stories yet? I heard that the 4th story is going to be a double monster for him/her. They were working on it but that was about a year and a half ago so in truth, I don't think it will be coming out anytime soon.

Are you talking about "The Conspiracy Series"? The titles of the stories sound familiar, but I don't think I've read them, at least not fully. I've probably skimmed through them. If Daniel gets Goa'ulded, I doubt that I ever will read them. I steer well clear of all fics that have him get taken over by a Goa'uld. Just the thought of that happening really bothers me.

To be honest, I really don't get the chance to read much fan fiction anymore. Pretty much all my available "fic time" is spent writing them rather than reading them, though I'd love to find some good Gen fics that I haven't read yet, ones that aren't really long since my free time is limited. I really miss the updates from stargatefan.com. I've already read (and, in many cases, reread) every fic there that interested me. I don't even bother with Heliopolis anymore since I got tired of wading through a sea of J/S stories to find the few Gen fics.
Dr. Markov: If you're implying that everything Russian-made is poor quality, actually the sub is Swiss.
Daniel: So they occasionally catch fire, but they keep perfect time? Sorry. I think I've been hanging around Jack O'Neill too much.

MaureenT
Site Admin

Postby Spyridon on Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:50 pm

Well technically, he's not goa'ulded by a regular goa'uld. Anymore I would spoil the stories.

In this one, plus. Daniel isn't really alive when he's a host. :twisted:
Spyridon

Postby MaureenT on Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:33 pm

Now I know which story that is! I should have recognized the titles. I feel silly now. Yes, I've read them. It's a very interesting concept, and I like the fact that Daniel was left with those abilities. Of course, I wasn't too happy about the main bad guy having my last name, but it would have been silly to complain. ;) I've been waiting for what seems like eternity for the author to finish the next story.

MaureenT
Site Admin

Postby Spyridon on Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:12 pm

:lol:

Hey, maybe he'll turn out to be a good guy in the end. Never know.
Spyridon

Postby MaureenT on Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:31 am

Considering what he's done and is responsible for, it would take a really huge stretch of the imagination to figure out a way to make him turn out to be a good guy in the end. We know that he hasn't been Goa'ulded, because Daniel would have sensed that. So, nope, I think that General Thayer is going to stay a baddie right to the end.

MaureenT
Site Admin

Postby Spyridon on Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:10 pm

Yeah, extremely long complicated well thought out explanation. Eh, they're going to be fighting to the bitter end.
Spyridon

Re: A couple of Gen fics I recommend- Updated 3/7

Postby Spyridon on Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:48 pm

Here's another fic I recommend.

ADDED TO FIRST POST
Last edited by Spyridon on Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spyridon

Re: A couple of Gen fics I recommend- Updated 3/31

Postby Spyridon on Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:42 pm

Still reading it at the moment but Ti'vester has updated her page. Sadly it isn't the Lines of Demarcation or whatever the word was spelled (sorry I want to get back to reading) but it's a new story.

Added to first post.
Last edited by Spyridon on Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spyridon

Next

Return to Fanfics by Other Authors