Ways they get together in a relationship

Some see them as good friends while others see something more. Whether you're the former or the latter, here's where to come for discussions about Daniel and Sam and their relationship.

Ways they get together in a relationship

Postby AlexMcpherson on Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:48 am

I've got a few ideas for ways those 2 could get together... Not necessarily based on a change in one of the episodes.

One thing i do find missing from the collection of ships on this website, is where it's Sam realising before Daniel/asking HIM out etc. That short ficlet where She realises her 'type', once was blind but now she sees thing, that isn't this since at the end HE says he saw her before etc.

Now my ideas..

Lets see... This is just post-season 8 pre-season 9, and pre-SG-1 breakup.
Teal'c has just left for Dakara, when one of their old allies/friends/etc from previous mission request help for some problem. Sam and Daniel go with SG-<suitable team>. as usual, the sg-team does their thing while Sam and Daniel do what they do,
It's been awhile since they got to do their thing uninterupted, and so they get closer than ever. Especially with the Goa'uld gone, they are basically (if not fully literally-) care-free.
Daniel, as always, does his big leaps of logic, while Sam watches on, and does that musing bit that Maureen does so well.
When they take a break, they find that the locals mistook the pair for a couple.
one thing leads to another, and at the end, where we learn Hammond is retiring and O'Neill is being promoted [again] to take over from Good Ole' George as head of Homeworld Security, and Teal'c has requested a leave of absence for an undeterminate period of time (mind had a brain fart, forgot the proper term for it) but in such a way that says "Once we're set, I'll be back. Maybe" A new but temporary base commander, while a new commander is being selected (landry) has issues with relationships inside of his SG-teams, and not just that but between members of different teams.
And to them, as Sam realises, their relationship takes precedence. Therefore SG-1 is disbanded, and Teal'c wishes them well when they tell him their decision.

and it could fit into canon loosely as a "secret relationship" - where Landry wasn't exactly told about their relationship, but to turn proper AU before Unending, where Mitchell only finds out when he reads the report on the breakup, as classified by O'neill so Landry couldn't find out (who may have the same issue, but regardless, he doesn't know)

With this story, I don't see much for the inbetween of when SG-1 reform with Mitchell assuring the pair he wont tell Landry, to Unending, where it goes AU in that Vala discovers the secret that Mitchell and Teal'c alone knew, the reason why Daniel always rejects her advances.


Another idea I have, is a bit more loose, in terms of how the pair get together.
It's were... dunno how to put it.
Maureen, in yours, you've made it so that Sam's attraction to Jack was a subconscious thing so she couldnt get hurt or, because he was 'safe'. Or even a slightly conscious one. My idea is thus:
What if, It was a more conscious thing on her part, say, because she was attracted to Daniel from the start, knew as much, and wanted to keep her distance because of Sha're. In a scene around season 1 or 2, Jack asks why she seemed to be close to Daniel then distant the next (around about when she realises her feelings) and so those two come up with the 'plan' - they do have an attraction to each other, and they do care for each other, but it's not romantic, but platonic (which is why they're suprised with the civilian Carters marrying the General O'Neills' - Military Carter doesn't like him that way, and 'Colonel' O'neill wonders which general went nuts and promoted his alternate persona, unless his alternate persona wasn't as big a lovable-Annoying Ass as out Colonel is.)

Now from there there are different ways for Sam and Daniel to get together, as well as the when thing.
Could be combined with the first one, would tie in with how easy it was for O'neill to abuse power and classify the report from temp SGC CO so Landry wouldn't know - very easy, since he's "in on it" as it were.
Or it could be one where Daniel realises his feelings and gets jealous of the flirting-act the pair have going on (even though he doesn't know that its' an act) and so has a big fight with Jack who, when he finds out why Daniel is being an ass, just laughs and tells our Archeologist he has no reason to be jealous , blablabla.
For those of you who don't like Jonas, this could be one where the events of Meridian happen differently, slightly, and Sam's overwhelming feelings provided the 'oomph' to heal him, where Jacob just respects him.

Because I have the feeling that, in a fight between Sam and a healing device versus Death trying to claim Danile like in meridian, combined with them as a couple? Sam wins everytime.

It could go in loads of directions too if Daniel does die.
Sam leaving the program, only to return when Jack, Jonas and Teal'c find Daniel in the ruins of Vis Uban. That scene between the two would have an even greater emotional impact.

The typical point for a season 7 get-together is Grace or Death Knell (Poor Carter - she got so beat up in season 7)
hell it could even happen from one where Sam got the download instead of Jack - just to go with a different way around, and Daniel realises his feelings for what they are, as he's more worried than he was when Jack took the download.

And this is ideas i got out when my mind was in idle. (Just think, if it was working away on them!)
User avatar
AlexMcpherson
 
Posts: 441
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:52 am
Location: Merseyside, UK

Re: Ways they get together in a relationship

Postby MaureenT on Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:32 pm

AlexMcpherson wrote:One thing i do find missing from the collection of ships on this website, is where it's Sam realising before Daniel/asking HIM out etc. That short ficlet where She realises her 'type', once was blind but now she sees thing, that isn't this since at the end HE says he saw her before etc.

One of the reasons for that is the Jack/Sam thing. Unlike some S/D ship fic authors, I choose not to ignore that whole thing in my stories. If Sam was truly in love with Daniel, I don't think that she would also have feelings for Jack. This, of course, does not mean that she didn't feel something for Daniel way back in the beginning. In several of my stories, I've had Sam think about forbidden emotions she felt for Daniel when they first met, emotions that she forcefully put out of her mind because he was married.

In Bitter Consequences, though Daniel was the one who did the asking out, Sam was already in love with him by then, although he still beat her to the punch in figuring out that he was in love with her, his revelation coming after the events of Entity, hers after Last Stand.

There is a story that I'm considering writing in which Sam falls head over heals in love with Daniel right near the beginning, but, because he's married, does all she can to drive those feelings away--without much success.

AlexMcpherson wrote:Now my ideas..

Lets see... This is just post-season 8 pre-season 9, and pre-SG-1 breakup....

In your first idea, would Sam not go off to Area 51? If she and Daniel were in a relationship, I can't see her leaving.

Personally, I don't think that Daniel and Sam would deliberately hide their relationship from Landry. Sam has shown that she will not defy regulations, and having a secret love affair with a teammate, even if it wasn't directly violating regulations regarding relationships, would be a serious matter that could lead to Sam getting into an awful lot of trouble. She would surely receive discipline of some sort, and it would be a black mark on her record. Even if Sam was willing to risk something like that, Daniel would not allow it. They might wait until after the temporary commander was gone since he was so against relationships of any sort under his command, but once Landry was in, they would eventually tell him.

AlexMcpherson wrote:Another idea I have, is a bit more loose, in terms of how the pair get together.
It's were... dunno how to put it.
Maureen, in yours, you've made it so that Sam's attraction to Jack was a subconscious thing so she couldnt get hurt or, because he was 'safe'. Or even a slightly conscious one.

Actually, that's not my idea. It comes directly from the talk Sam had with the hallucination of Jack in Grace. Sam quite clearly stated that her feelings for Jack were born of her fear to let herself get into a relationship with someone only to lose them. In Jack's words, he was a "safe bet."

AlexMcpherson wrote:My idea is thus....

I'm afraid that your second one completely confused me. If Jack and Sam have no feelings for each other, why would they pretend that they did? Or at least that's what it sounded like you were saying. If it started when Daniel was still married, it couldn't be any attempt to make him jealous. If it started after Sha're was dead, not only would I think it was not necessary, it would also be extremely risky since rumors could get started that they were in a relationship that was against regulations.

AlexMcpherson wrote:For those of you who don't like Jonas, this could be one where the events of Meridian happen differently, slightly, and Sam's overwhelming feelings provided the 'oomph' to heal him, where Jacob just respects him.

Because I have the feeling that, in a fight between Sam and a healing device versus Death trying to claim Danile like in meridian, combined with them as a couple? Sam wins everytime.

Actually, I think it's just the opposite. I think that the reason why things went wrong when Sam tried to heal Daniel with the healing device is that her emotions got in the way. She was too emotionally overwrought and couldn't concentrate like she needed to. She was able to heal Cronus so easily because she had no feelings for him. If she was in love with Daniel at that time, she would be even less capable of divorcing herself from her emotions and concentrating on what she was doing.

AlexMcpherson wrote:The typical point for a season 7 get-together is Grace or Death Knell (Poor Carter - she got so beat up in season 7)
hell it could even happen from one where Sam got the download instead of Jack - just to go with a different way around, and Daniel realises his feelings for what they are, as he's more worried than he was when Jack took the download.

I've never had Daniel and Sam get together right after Grace, and the only one I wrote that had them do so right after Death Knell was Alliance of the Heart, although I've had an idea for a story in which, after Grace, Sam's attention turns to Daniel instead of Pete.

Bless the Children starts after Enemy Mine, Bitter Consequences happens sometime between Enemy Mine and Evolution, Guilt Undone is between Heroes and Lost City, Naked Truths is after Evolution, and the WYAK series also starts after Evolution. The Loves in my Life has no set time, except that it's after Daniel's return. All the others are Season 8, 9, or 10 or before Daniel's ascension.

Sam taking the download in Lost City would certainly put a new spin on things. You have to wonder if the answer for making the ship go faster would come to her sooner than it did to Jack. And, yes, I do think that Daniel's emotions would have been a little closer to the surface if it had been Sam.

AlexMcpherson wrote:And this is ideas i got out when my mind was in idle. (Just think, if it was working away on them!)

You should see my plot bunny file. I have so many story ideas that I'll probably never write them all. And it seems like I'm coming up with more all the time. :D
Dr. Markov: If you're implying that everything Russian-made is poor quality, actually the sub is Swiss.
Daniel: So they occasionally catch fire, but they keep perfect time? Sorry. I think I've been hanging around Jack O'Neill too much.

-- From the Stargate SG-1 episode "Watergate."
User avatar
MaureenT
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1015
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:52 pm
Location: Oregon, USA

Re: Ways they get together in a relationship

Postby AlexMcpherson on Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:52 am

Well, you could think of it this way - Daniel is allowed to go, but Sam for one reason or another, isn't going, and is given the post at Area 51.

As for defying regs, if she thought something was worth it - saving the planet for instance, she'd do it, but in your fics, she a common point is that she realises that, between Pete and SGC? SGC. Daniel and SGC? Daniel.

Lets so it's just frowned on, but not against regs (where as Jack and Sam would be since Jack is both military and her CO) it's just that some base commanders do have different ideas on if that kind of relationship should be allowed.
There's one extreme where "Yeah, whatever," then the other extreme, "You're in a relationship with someone on base?! you're fired!" or so, the middle ground, as you show with Hammond and Jack, is that, As long as they are able to seperate their feelings from actions in the field, then it's okay. well, say, Jack is like that, and being the CO when they get together or something.
Lets say they are led to believe Landry isn't that way and there are ones even higher up who are that way who have the clout to do something about their relationship, I do think there are lots of kinseys in the IOA afterall, but yes, eventually they may. Say when Marriage is on the cards...

As for grace - oops, forgot that bit. But we'd like to believe Halucination Jacob was hinting at Daniel.

The Jack/Sam thing, It could be for several things - In several of your fics, you reference how many thought Sam and Daniel were a couple, so it could be to get the others to think, no, She's interested in Jack - but since he's her superior, and most people know that neither would risk their career for a relationship.

but yeah i get your point with the healing device.

But I would like to see your plot bunny folder. - i've got a huge harry potter one, my stargate one is relatively, small.

What's worse is all my ideas come to me as Saga-type stories.
User avatar
AlexMcpherson
 
Posts: 441
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:52 am
Location: Merseyside, UK

Re: Ways they get together in a relationship

Postby MaureenT on Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:19 pm

AlexMcpherson wrote:As for defying regs, if she thought something was worth it - saving the planet for instance, she'd do it, but in your fics, she a common point is that she realises that, between Pete and SGC? SGC. Daniel and SGC? Daniel.

Lets so it's just frowned on, but not against regs (where as Jack and Sam would be since Jack is both military and her CO) it's just that some base commanders do have different ideas on if that kind of relationship should be allowed.
There's one extreme where "Yeah, whatever," then the other extreme, "You're in a relationship with someone on base?! you're fired!" or so, the middle ground, as you show with Hammond and Jack, is that, As long as they are able to seperate their feelings from actions in the field, then it's okay. well, say, Jack is like that, and being the CO when they get together or something.
Lets say they are led to believe Landry isn't that way and there are ones even higher up who are that way who have the clout to do something about their relationship, I do think there are lots of kinseys in the IOA afterall, but yes, eventually they may. Say when Marriage is on the cards...

Well, yes, of course, when it comes to something really big, like saving the planet, the regs would go right out the window. All of SG-1 went against orders when they went off and stopped Apophis' invasion of Earth. The thing is, though, that nothing of vital importance would hinge on Daniel and Sam keeping their relationship a secret. If they really thought that the commander would forbid them from being in a relationship, there would be a much simpler thing to do that would have no risk to it. Sam would resign her commission and work for the SGC as a civilian. Then she and Daniel could have a relationship, and there wouldn't be a damn thing that the commander could do about it short of firing or reassigning one of them, which you can bet that Hammond wouldn't allow. As the head of Homeworld Security, he'd have the power to countermand anything that the SGC commander did. Obviously, it would mean that Sam would no longer be on SG-1 or any other SG team (unless they could get her on as a civilian), but she would be willing to make that sacrifice in order to be with Daniel.

AlexMcpherson wrote:The Jack/Sam thing, It could be for several things - In several of your fics, you reference how many thought Sam and Daniel were a couple, so it could be to get the others to think, no, She's interested in Jack - but since he's her superior, and most people know that neither would risk their career for a relationship.

I'm assuming you mean that the J/S thing is started because Sam doesn't want people thinking that she and Daniel are having an affair when he's a married man. I still don't think that she and Jack would deliberately set out to sidetrack the rumor mill into thinking that it's the two of them who have feelings for each other. They'd know that not everyone would assume that, just because it's against regs, they wouldn't do anything. I mean, look at Kinsey. He flat out accused them in Inauguration of having a relationship. Clearly, he had an ulterior motive for doing so, but the military takes such things very seriously, and if anyone high up the chain of command heard that there might be something going on with Jack and Sam, he might order an investigation. The risks would just be too great for Jack and Sam to purposefully do such a thing simply because some people thought that Sam and a married Daniel had something going on. Trust me when I say that, in such a situation, military people would think a lot worse of Jack and Sam than they would of Daniel and Sam, especially since quite a few people probably considered Sha're to be as good as dead.

AlexMcpherson wrote:But I would like to see your plot bunny folder. - i've got a huge harry potter one, my stargate one is relatively, small.

Some of my story ideas are pretty radical. There's one that plays off of something said in The Quest Pt. 2 that I'm pretty certain is a story idea that nobody else has written or will ever write. It would be one of those shocking revelation stories that knocks everyone on their ear. :D One of these days, I will write it. The idea is just too delicious not to. 8-)

AlexMcpherson wrote:What's worse is all my ideas come to me as Saga-type stories.

Yeah, tell me about it. I definitely have a habit of writing stories that turn into sagas.
Dr. Markov: If you're implying that everything Russian-made is poor quality, actually the sub is Swiss.
Daniel: So they occasionally catch fire, but they keep perfect time? Sorry. I think I've been hanging around Jack O'Neill too much.

-- From the Stargate SG-1 episode "Watergate."
User avatar
MaureenT
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1015
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:52 pm
Location: Oregon, USA

Re: Ways they get together in a relationship

Postby AlexMcpherson on Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:48 am

You know, looking back, i didn't exactly think my ideas through properly - but then again, there are some sam/daniel fics that don't even build on their onscreen chemistry, and are just "Sam likes daniel, daniel likes sam, they get together, the end."
There's none of the stuff you do, explaining where their feelings come from and all that.
User avatar
AlexMcpherson
 
Posts: 441
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:52 am
Location: Merseyside, UK

Re: Ways they get together in a relationship

Postby MaureenT on Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:17 pm

First of all, I realized that I made a mistake on my last reply. It would be Jack in charge of Homeworld Security at that time, not Hammond. Of course, just like Hammond, he'd prevent the SGC commander from firing or reassigning Daniel or Sam.

AlexMcpherson wrote:You know, looking back, i didn't exactly think my ideas through properly - but then again, there are some sam/daniel fics that don't even build on their onscreen chemistry, and are just "Sam likes daniel, daniel likes sam, they get together, the end."
There's none of the stuff you do, explaining where their feelings come from and all that.

I hope you don't think I was belittling your plot ideas. I was just pointing out the problems I could see with them.

Yeah, I know what you mean about some S/D fics. Of course, with a little, lighthearted romance fic, you don't really need to go into all that stuff, but there aren't many authors who take the time to do so. From the day I started writing fan fiction over 10 years ago, I've always been big on getting inside the thoughts and feelings of the characters. It's one of my favorite things. That's one of the reasons why I don't think I could write scripts, which lack that sort of stuff. It would drive me crazy not being able to delve into the minds and emotions of the characters.
Dr. Markov: If you're implying that everything Russian-made is poor quality, actually the sub is Swiss.
Daniel: So they occasionally catch fire, but they keep perfect time? Sorry. I think I've been hanging around Jack O'Neill too much.

-- From the Stargate SG-1 episode "Watergate."
User avatar
MaureenT
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1015
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:52 pm
Location: Oregon, USA

Re: Ways they get together in a relationship

Postby AlexMcpherson on Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:43 am

MaureenT wrote:First of all, I realized that I made a mistake on my last reply. It would be Jack in charge of Homeworld Security at that time, not Hammond. Of course, just like Hammond, he'd prevent the SGC commander from firing or reassigning Daniel or Sam.

I hope you don't think I was belittling your plot ideas. I was just pointing out the problems I could see with them.

Yeah, I know what you mean about some S/D fics. Of course, with a little, lighthearted romance fic, you don't really need to go into all that stuff, but there aren't many authors who take the time to do so. From the day I started writing fan fiction over 10 years ago, I've always been big on getting inside the thoughts and feelings of the characters. It's one of my favorite things. That's one of the reasons why I don't think I could write scripts, which lack that sort of stuff. It would drive me crazy not being able to delve into the minds and emotions of the characters.


First off - i spotted it but didn't want to say anything, :P
secondly, dont worry - I do know the difference between flaming and constructive criticism.
third - yeah, but i'm the other way, i can't write that well with it - I have written proper scripts before (My masterpiece is a full-on 75 page pilot episode script, which i wrote about 3 pages off quite literally, blind, with formatting. well not blind blind, but my-boss-mucking-about-with-his-hands-over-my-eyes-trying-to-make-me-do-a-mistake blind.
I think I impressed him.)

I've not been into reading fanfic nevermind writing it all that long. about 06 when i joined FFN anyway. Before that I was doing those scripts thing and roleplaying.
User avatar
AlexMcpherson
 
Posts: 441
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:52 am
Location: Merseyside, UK


Return to Totally Daniel & Sam

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron